Coming into ship modelling from a unusual angle

Hi!

I'm Fred (well, not really, but my true name is pretty much unpronounceable in English, so I go by Fred ;)). Grown up in Poland, lived in UK, now I'm in the US. On the beginning of 2020 I stumbled into wargaming as a hobby, but pandemic being what it was I moved from playing the games with others, to just enjoying the diorama-like aspects of the hobby with making terrain and miniature painting (while planning and playing some solo games). Then few months ago, I don't remember how exactly, I stumbled upon the story of HMS Terror which lead me to ship modelling through Tom's Modelling in Motion HMS Terror videos. I kinda got hooked.

However, my skills being what they are, it will be a while before I can attempt something that complex. Instead, I decided to start with something different - I found a 3d printable model of SS Venture from 2005 King Kong that would fit with the miniatures and terrain I'm currently making (kind of alternative history pulp adventure). So, I printed the hull scaled to 1/100ish (what I use for miniatures) and plan to make my own decks/rest of the ship through a combination of scratch-building and 3d printing. I hope to make it a playable piece, but closer to an actual diorama/model in detail and finish.

Currently the first hull part (I'm splitting the hull into top and bottom to make it more usable for wargaming) is drying its primer and I'm researching more about tramp steamers so I can model some of the details (will probably ask for some help/resources on this front, as I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to maritime things). Also, looking through the builds on this forum - I'm already learning a lot great stuff!

Now my first question is, if I'm redesigning/kit-bashing this 3d printed model, should I put my build in Model Kit or Scratch built projects?

Edit: Now thinking about it, I hope that the above project is within the scope of this site. While I'm definitely shooting for realism in the build, I will make some concessions to make it a bit more playable (e.g. making the ship a bit wider than the 3d model linked above to have more space for miniatures). I can always wait with my first build topic until the next, more proper, model.

Edited by von_bednar

Witam!

Sounds like a scratch project to me.

As one of our forums die-hard card modelers, I have a great appreciation for Poland's contributions to the art of modele kartonowe.

Enjoy your stay!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

24 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Witam!

[...]

Enjoy your stay!

Dzięki!

I didn't know those card modeling magazines were even known outside of Poland (and some Eastern European countries). I remember picking one, a model of a submarine when I was a kid (it was somewhere mid 90s I think). Sadly, I was way too young to tackle it. I tried, but I gave up after my hull looked like a big mess full of holes from bad cuts and seeping glue elsewhere ;) Might need to give one of them a try in the future. Also, if you'd (or anyone else) would need a help with translating anything from those Polish magazines, I'm more than happy to help.

I will make my build log topic in scratch build section on the weekend. Then I will have some time and good light to shoot at least some semi-decent photos and write in more detail about the project.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Fred and welcome to Model Ship World.  I really enjoy the work modelers do with the miniature figures.  I look forward to your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you all for a warm welcome!

9 hours ago, AJohnson said:

I am shocked to learn that not all Polish people are born as Paper/Card model Ninjas! 🤣 The level of skill in those card modelling magazines are amazing.  :imNotWorthy:

Looking at work of people like Katarzyna Manikowska makes me want to try my hand at making dioramas using card models. So now I kinda hope your assumption is correct and it is some inert Polish skill, but it develops later in life like puberty and I just tried too early. So there still might be hope for me yet ;)

• 1 month later...

Welcome to MSW

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Witam, warm welcome to Model Ship World.

The 3d printed steam ship SS Venture seems like a fun project. 

Did you have to scale it up?

And yes, even I have ordered Paper card models from Poland.

Mine are from JSC, got the Swedish fleet.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

@E Z Breeze I'm actually thinking of using a paper model as a base to scratchbuild my next model. It's not from a magazine, but a free pdf I found and I hope to use the frame and try my hand at planking with some wood :) We will see how this will go.

@Nirvana Yep, had to scale the model up, and because most of it was lacking detail I opted to also remake much of the superstructure and detail. It's slow going, but it's going - which also reminds me, I really need to update my build topic.