HMS Winchelsea 1764, by Gary B

Well I have finally pulled the plug and decided to start a build log on building the Winchelsea while also working on my 74. Why some will ask, some  times it's nice when you don't have to make all the parts and piece's, but she still have a lot of parts and pieces to make along with the ones that Chuck makes for her. Some call her a kit but I would say 50 50, and  to me it still takes as much skill and understanding to build her as well as a 74.  May take a little time to get her up and running but am working on that.  I can't seem to find the answer to how long , wide and thick does the build board need to be? I came across that the hull length which is 38 inches so a  length of 42 to 46 inches would be just about right. Tomorrow I plan on going to have the plan's blown up to a 100 percent which should help me figure out the size of the build board along with other question I have, and then I can start cutting and make the bulkheads along with the her Bulkhead former.  Glad to be aboard. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Dont forget to go to the downloads forum to get the pdf plans and templates for the bulkheads.   

In addition the monograph chapters and other discussions can be found here.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/93-general-project-discussions-on-planking-fittings-and-monograph-chapters/

Thanks Trussben and Chuck.  Don't mind using your size Trussben but what thickness is it? Chuck this will come in very handy and very helpful. Also, was wondering where I can find some good  photo's of the Stern before any planking is put on. Hope that some of the member's show me the way. Very curious about how you or other member's built it up. One thing about the stern it can make you have a really bad day. Seems am like a fish out of water and if you must know have never really built a plank on bulkhead model. Tried once but that ended up in the round file. Thanks. Gary

Looking forward to seeing some progress on you Winnie. I used a precut piece of MDF from home depot. It was 12”X 48” and I think I just cut 8” off but it worked well. Welcome to the group Gary.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Thanks JJ, working on the progress part as we speak. Was wonder what other's such as your self was using and what size's.  That's one of the thing's that I wish I did with Alfred's build board  and made the build table 4 to 5 inches longer. I purchased a Rockler T-Track table top, which is 28"x 40" and was wonder if the length would work.  Had it for awhile and couldn't figure out what to use it for untill now.  Been sitting on the work bench  so hopeful I won't have to go out and buy another build board. With the track's built in should be a big help with keeping it all squared up.  Also thanks for the welcome. 

46654-01-1000.jpg

I took a look Ben and must say am impressed. You building board reminds me of the one on my 74 as far as the outside rail's. I didn't have them for the longest time and if I had them when I started her, would of come in real handy. Think it was 19 years ago, maybe a couple of year's after I finished Richard up which I believe it was 98. Probably spent the in between time to figure out what I wanted to build next. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well guy's after a couple of weeks I finally finished the build board and the Center keel. The plywood for the bulkheads should be here tomorrow  and I can get started on them. Between the two, the Winchelsea and the Montague,  they  should keep me busy.  

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0687.JPG

On 7/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, garyshipwright said:

Well I have finally pulled the plug and decided to start a build log on building the Winchelsea while also working on my 74. Why some will ask, some  times it's nice when you don't have to make all the parts and piece's, but she still have a lot of parts and pieces to make along with the ones that Chuck makes for her. Some call her a kit but I would say 50 50, and  to me it still takes as much skill and understanding to build her as well as a 74.  May take a little time to get her up and running but am working on that.  I can't seem to find the answer to how long , wide and thick does the build board need to be? I came across that the hull length which is 38 inches so a  length of 42 to 46 inches would be just about right. Tomorrow I plan on going to have the plan's blown up to a 100 percent which should help me figure out the size of the build board along with other question I have, and then I can start cutting and make the bulkheads along with the her Bulkhead former.  Glad to be aboard. Gary

Hey Gary: Glad to see you are getting on board with this project. Its on my "next to do" after I finish the million little things that need to be done on the Agamemnon before I say that project is done. I am stoked on getting it started and look forward to a fresh, new project later this summer. i will be keen on seeing your progress.

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Well hello Mike. Been a while since we last talk and wonder what you been up to. You know you been working on Agamemnon as long as I can remember. Hoping with Chuck making a lot of the part's maybe just maybe I just might get her finish in a couple of years. Of course that also depends on the time  invested in working on Montague which may take just a little bit  longer. Have been keeping a eye on this build, waiting for Chuck to get far enough a head and a lot of the bug's worked out.  I must say he has done a heck of a job on this ship. Am sure that there are really great kits to build out there but have settled on this one. Another thing is the price of the build is broken down over time which makes it a lot easier to pay for with out the misses making me walk the plank. It's like  comparing it to  buying a set of expensive plans, cost a lot but when you break them down for the amount of time it take's you to build it it like pennies on the dollar,  It should be interesting and  lot of fun to build.

On 7/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, garyshipwright said:

Well hello Mike. Been a while since we last talk and wonder what you been up to. You know you been working on Agamemnon as long as I can remember. Hoping with Chuck making a lot of the part's maybe just maybe I just might get her finish in a couple of years. Of course that also depends on the time  invested in working on Montague which may take just a little bit  longer. Have been keeping a eye on this build, waiting for Chuck to get far enough a head and a lot of the bug's worked out.  I must say he has done a heck of a job on this ship. Am sure that there are really great kits to build out there but have settled on this one. Another thing is the price of the build is broken down over time which makes it a lot easier to pay for with out the misses making me walk the plank. It's like  comparing it to  buying a set of expensive plans, cost a lot but when you break them down for the amount of time it take's you to build it it like pennies on the dollar,  It should be interesting and  lot of fun to build.

Hey Gary: Yup..  I have been working on the Agamemnon way too long but I can say Im close to the finish line.. thank god.. the last few months have been a slog. Adding sails to her was a not my brightest of moves.. but I do like how she looks. I have been getting all of the Winnies chapters and parts installments collected and keen on starting but I do need to get the Agamemnon finished. I have some flags to make, anchors to rig, and some stern lanterns to install. And I do need to get the woodshed filled for next winter as well. Its nice cutting firewood in the summer with the long days rather than being in a rush in the fall while its threatening to snow.

But I do agree Chuck has done a amazing job on this project and I cant wait to get started. I agree the installments did help keep the sting out of it.

I will definitely keep a eye out for your build and I will be posting my Agamemnon when she is completed and also when I start the Winnie. 

Take care and good to hear from you

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Well I got got a little bit done with  all the bulkheads cut out and dry fitted.  Have now started installing them with some hide glue which gives me a little time to adjust them once installed. The hide glue is a little slower in drying so you have just a bit more time.  I know most have seen hundred of this  so I will keep marching on. Gary

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0711 (1).JPG

DSC_0715.JPG

DSC_0713 (1).JPG

DSC_0720.JPG

DSC_0718.JPG

DSC_0719.JPG

Hi Chuck. Have a couple of question on the stern timber's. Do you know what the round aft of those timbers are post to be and is all of the stern timber's at the bottom of them the same height where the go in to frame 29? I read through chapter 1 and couldn't find a answer so hoping some of the good folks along with your self may just have a answer to this. Looking for answer and is a whole lot easier adjusting  and fine turning them while they are lose.  In the mean time will look through some really good log's for answer's.  Thanks good sir. Gary

14 minutes ago, garyshipwright said:

Do you know what the round aft of those timbers are post to be

Nope I dont actually know.   But its not anything you will need.  But I am sure you can figure it out from the original draft if you find a reason to need it.

14 minutes ago, garyshipwright said:

is all of the stern timber's at the bottom of them the same height where the go in to frame 29?

They are NOT level across that bulkhead and are purposely at different heights and angles.

Thank you sir. Well long story short, on the draft, they can't print out any thing bigger then A4 and being that the ship draft is  a whole lot longer. They said I could get a computer print HD which I would have to down loaded and take it to the printers to blow it back up. That part is ok until they told me it was a 176 dollar's for the scan. I just cancel the order  think I just take the misses out for dinner. O well. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is a update on my Winchelsea if any one is interested. I filled in between all the bulkheads with balsa wood and started to send the bulkheads and balsa down to shape. Once I got it close enough to the finally shape, I made some water line templates with height stand's to help put the template at its right height and then marked for sanding down. Take's a little longer but help's keep me from sanding off to much. 

DSC_0731.JPG

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well good folk's if any one is interested do believe that I have finished chapter one and taking a good look at chapter 2 which should be very interesting. Hope you like the photo's of her as she stand's.  Didn't post to much of the gun ports and other item's with all the ones already being shown in the other member's build log's. Hope she up to you good folks very high level in your build's. She has been a joy so far in her build. Gary

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0738.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0742.JPG

Hi Chuck and thank you very very much. Hope so, should be interesting. One thing is for sure it sure was a lot of sanding on top of sanding. I know,  I know, if I hadn't added all the wood in between the bulkhead's, the sanding probably would have been done in half the time, but does make for a better landing for the planking and allow's one to put the joints in a few different places. At least that is my opinion Now it's time to get to work on the planking. The counter planking fit perfect so good job on the parts and pieces.  They  really do make thing's go a lot faster. 

Edited by garyshipwright

Looking really nice!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout