Could we have a UK members section?

JDillon

I am new to using forums but was wondering if we could have a UK section where members from our side of the world could advise what local suppliers they use and also where to obtain materials e.g, recomendations such as B&Q harware shop to purchse glue and wood etc etc.

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

Hi JDillon, and welcome to MSW.

Trouble is, it would make things very complicated to have separate sections by geography. We have people all over the world. I'm in Australia and we have people all through Europe, the U.S., you name it.

But in the "Wood Discussion" and ""Modelling tools" sections, you'll find these kinds of questions being discussed, and you can ask the questions yourself in those sections if you need to.

Steven

I agree it would be nice on one level but as Steven says it would be complicated. 

I believe it is a good idea for everyone to put their location, at least their country, in the spot below their avatar. This helps. 

What are you looking for?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW. 

With the Internet a huge part of life nowadays, the option to get almost anything from anywhere has made getting materials for our hobby easier.

If you need quality wood may I suggest Hobbymill EU, who is a sponsor  and a site member,  for kits or fittings,  @Chuck, Syren Shipmodel Company   and @chris watton, Vanguard Models, also both members and sponsors on here.

All in all I think we're pretty well catered for.

Edit #2 if you check out the section where the sponsors are, I think you'll find practically everything you might need.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome Sir! You won’t have any troubles getting any information on what is available where, as mentioned above. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I can see what JDillon is getting at.

Often (mostly US) folk say they just popped into their local branch of a national hardware store X and found or bought product Y.

These outlets aren't an option here in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Many of your US products don't even have an equivalent here.

I'll give a random example; briefly I was over there in Minnesota years ago in a small town. The largest store was Wallmart.

I found this to be an Aladdin's Cave of a wide variety of stuff entirely new to me.

One item I bought was a cheap pack of thick cotton socks (of all things), which turned out to be the finest most comfortable socks I ever had. Wish I'd bought a suitcase full of them.

Without success, I've tried and tried to find some here. None come close.

It's the same for more relevant modelling products.

Try and buy Byrnes or Proxon here......a few outlets perhaps, selling them at unobtanium prices.

Buying and shipping stuff of any kind from the USA is so expensive, I stopped considering that rout a long time ago.

Perhaps modelling is a minority occupation in the States as it is here.

But that minority market in the UK is so small, very few suppliers exist. To find them and assess their quality and reliability takes an inordinate amount of time and effort.

So, yes, I understand why JDillon asked the question.

I think you get the birds of a feather flock together effect. A better option is starting a new discussion in the below titled "UK Suppliers"

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/41-traders-dealers-buying-or-selling-anything-discuss-new-products-and-ship-model-goodies-here-as-well/

Edited by Keith Black

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all it was just worth a try, I seemed to be fairing ok with things but finding that some parts that everybosy oreders from do not ship to the UK, Occre being one of them. I have found a few UK members that i can pester with questions about alternative items that are only available stateside. Im guessing our Australian brothers and sisters have the same issue.

Joe

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

Joe, I hear you. The good news is that it is unlikely you will be the first to encounter an issue with a particular material or kit so ... ask and find out how someone here has already found an answer. Besides our MSW sponsors there are other places that support the UK model-habit such as Cornwall Model Boats ( Cornwall Model Boats - Static display and radio control model boat kits including period wooden model ships.Model Ship fittings, Caldercraft Boats )

to name but one. They stock Occre kits.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Several UK modelers have found Lee Valley and Bridge City tools at Axminster Tools UK at prices comparable to US prices given currency exchange rates.