HMS Artful

My name is Glenn, and I have just joined as a new member of this fantastic forum. I have modelling experience of kits, but not scratch building a ship. This is something I would love to do, but one step at a time. 

My interest in the sea stems from my father, who was in the Royal Navy as a submariner. His boat was HMS Artful, hence my username. His post aboard the Artful was electrician first class, and when he was not fixing things of an electrical nature he was helping in the engine room.  

I am currently researching my fathers service in the Royal Navy and the Artful, and would love to post the results of my research here on the forum, if I am allowed to do this of course.

The first model I intend to build is a 1:144 scale of HMS Artful in the Astute class. I would dearly love to build an Amphion class submarine of the same name to honour my fathers service, but cannot find a kit of this type. Perhaps this might be my first scratch build?

I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to you all, and most importantly say that I am here to learn as well as to build.
Hello friends!

kind regards 

Glenn😀

Edited by HMS Artful
Correction

37 minutes ago, HMS Artful said:

I am here to learn as well as to build.

Hello Glenn

A very warm welcome to you!  Good luck in your research and building.  With well over 40,000 members, we have that many levels of experience and we are all continually learning new things so will not be alone in your quest.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:Glenn, welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome aboard, Glenn! Be sure to check out our forum areas for nautical history and research -- your father's boat will be appropriate material for those sections.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:sign:

The Place to be !!!    :piratebo5:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Always great to have another Glenn on board, especially with the correct spelling with two n’s.  Welcome!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Welcome aboard, Glenn! Be sure to check out our forum areas for nautical history and research -- your father's boat will be appropriate material for those sections.

Cheers!

Thank you for the welcome and I certainly will check out those sections. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

kind regards 

Glenn 😀

Welcome to MSW, Glenn.  Chris gave good advice on where to start research.  It may take some time, but usually someone has some answers.   As always though... every answer leads to more questions, which is a good thing as it increases knowledge.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Glenn.  Chris gave good advice on where to start research.  It may take some time, but usually someone has some answers.   As always though... every answer leads to more questions, which is a good thing as it increases knowledge.

Thank you for the welcome, I shall heed your advice. 😀

kind regards 

Glenn 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hey Glenn. 

Welcome aboard! Retired (US) submariner here.

Looking forward to viewing your construction of your father's ship. Scratch would be definitely doable.

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret

2 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

Hey Glenn. 

Welcome aboard! Retired (US) submariner here.

Looking forward to viewing your construction of your father's ship. Scratch would be definitely doable.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the welcome. What class of submarine did you serve in?

kind regards 

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

Over my career, I served in a 637-class long-hull, a 637 short-hull, built a 688, and served as XO in several boomers during a decommissioning of one. Didn't like the boomers...

Edited by CDR_Ret

On 9/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, CDR_Ret said:

Hey Glenn,

Over my career, I served in a 637-class long-hull (USS Parche, SSN 683), a 637 short-hull (USS Hawkbill, SSN 666), built a 688 (USS Bremerton, SSN 698), and served as XO in the boomers USS Andrew Jackson (SSBN 619) and USS George Bancroft (SSBN 643). Didn't like the boomers...

Hi Terry,

what didn’t you like about the boomers?

Kind regards 

Glenn 😀

Well, I'll answer your question by describing what I liked about SSNs, first. When not on deployments, attack boats conducted what we called weekly ops. Routinely, underway on Monday, back in port on Friday, more or less. If you were lucky, you didn't have the duty over the weekend. Great for family life. SSNs were often tasked with interesting things like weapons evaluations, supporting fleet exercises, providing ASW services to the skimmers and VP assets, under-ice training, preparing for type-commander inspections, etc., etc. Occasionally, a boat would be scrambled to investigate a SOSUS contact or whatever. A very interesting and busy life.

US boomers had a set schedule. 60 days in home port/90 days deployed--over and over again. "49 days and a wake-up." The time at home port was spent training, getting required schools, a little leave if possible. As XO, I also had to deal with the family issues of the deployed crew. You wouldn't believe how many teenaged sailors married even younger girls who had no clue how to budget. Spent all their husband's advanced pay after only a few weeks!

When deployed, everyone got sick during the month-long refit due to long work hours, then we went to sea. We literally drilled holes through the ocean trying to avoid detection, which was our primary peacetime mission. Of course the crew kept busy with qualifications and drills, but after 14 years in tactical and intelligence work with SSNs, it was pretty boring. The two-crew concept also tended to lead to leaving problems to the other crew, which resulted in some acrimony between crews. Boomer crews also tended to be made up of mostly long-term boomer sailors, who often had a starkly different views of navy life and even worldviews compared to SSN sailors.

Just some thoughts.

29 minutes ago, CDR_Ret said:

As XO, I also had to deal with the family issues of the deployed crew

I'm sure that made it difficult for your marriage. Dealing with the crew first left you and your family problems till last. 

Well, for the most part, that aspect of the job was actually one of the more meaningful roles I had to fill in off-crew, and I was glad to assist the families experiencing problems when their husbands/fathers weren't around. And it wasn't like I was alone. I had the assistance of the on-crew's ombudsman, and the CO, XO, and COB's wives, who were indispensible for handling on-crew family problems. I was more like the traffic cop, directing issues to the best-qualified to help. It was getting phone calls in the office from 16-year-old girls crying because they had spent all their husband's money that irked. And that happened more than once!

My wife had more issues dealing with our own crew's wives...

Sorry, didn't intend to hijack the welcome aboard.

Edited by CDR_Ret

Ahoy, mate!  You'll likely find a world of info scattered throughout the form.  You can use 'search words' in various ways to find likely build or discussion logs on the ship or topic desired.  There are also indexes of build logs by time period/ship.

Have fun!       Johnny 

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

59 minutes ago, CDR_Ret said:

My wife had more issues dealing with our own crew's wives...

LOL :)