Secret Vessel Morel by HardeeHarHar - FINISHED - Master Korabel - Scale 1:36

Wow that's lookin good Brian, I would blacking them my self, but it's your choice, I would agree to anything today lol , got my bottle  done :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Yowza!  How much beer would that thing hold?  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

My wife was on the side of bling too!!!  It can take bathtub depths, which is about the depth of Roanoke Sound!!!  Watch out bathers!!!

Edited by HardeeHarHar

15 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Yowza!  How much beer would that thing hold?  :cheers:

I originally considered making it a decanter for port.  It doesn't have enough capacity for beer 😃

The full sized one.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

So many rivets!!!!  So little time....   and my eyes hurt.  Those little rivets are painful.

IMG_1341.thumb.jpeg.42a08b7db10c30c34e9114bd9726bb7c.jpeg

I have to wear my magnifying headset to make sure the rivets get set correctly.  The heads on the small ones are 0.7mm.  I use bees wax lip balm on the end of a probe to grab them and maneuver them to the rivet hole.  The little rivets love to fall off in transit, and then they bounce or roll....somewhere, I know not where.  The big ones are 1.2 mm "whoppers" as compared to the microscopic 0.7 mm ones.  I've set about 50 big ones, and around 40 small ones, and there are still more to go.  I just finished assembling and mounting the rudder.  The small little metal pieces used as hinges for the rudder and the "flaming pipes" are horrid to work with.  I'm  not sure I am going to pull the flaming pipes off that well, but I am going to try my best.  Then I have to make corkscrews out of wire to serve as the ballast release mechanisms on the front and back.  Maybe I should just go buy some corkscrews?!?!?

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Thanks Kev, I love me the amber nectar! image.gif.6aaa43218c4667345191fc4bc88de716.gif

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Progress is being made…one fiery pipe about ready, little hinges are not easy to deal with!  Here she is at present, but a lot of black paint is still needed on the metalwork.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8ae1fe202c5e9a9953735d6bd58b37e.jpeg

It has its rudder mounted on the back (see photo above) but I haven’t put the steering ropes in place yet! 

On 2/2/2023 at 5:13 PM, HardeeHarHar said:

The little rivets love to fall off in transit, and then they bounce or roll....somewhere, I know not where.  

I have a room I haven't vacuumed for 2 years because I know there's some small parts hidden in shag. 

An unusual model.  Looking good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

The oars look pretty sharp.  I see some "dangladge" below the rudder on what looks like your "corkscrews", would that be the aft ballast and release mechanism? 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

12 minutes ago, Peanut6 said:

The oars look pretty sharp.  I see some "dangladge" below the rudder on what looks like your "corkscrews", would that be the aft ballast and release mechanism? 

I believe that’s a jug of emergency vodka.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

20 hours ago, hollowneck said:

I believe that’s a jug of emergency vodka.

Hah!  I spent some time in Russia a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed the vodka that fueled "the fiery pipes".  I was thinking the Secret Vessel would make a good Port Decanter, but now that you mention it, a Vodka Keg would make more sense.  That would be quite the kit bash.....

20 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

The oars came out pretty nice I think.  I used a few wraps of rope instead of the cloth provided.  The "dangladge" is indeed ballast that is dropped by turning the corkscrew (the right way).  I suspect some Russian Navy Dude would opt to have some truck balls hanging from the front and back of his Secret Vessel, but I used the ballast weights provided =).  I have now removed the oars in order to finish her up, starting with the "banding".  I like the look of it like it is shown below, but two more bands are supposed to be used according to the kit's instructions.  Then I will attach the fiery pipes (fingers crossed), add the steering ropes to the rudder, touch everything up with black paint, and call it FINISHED.

IMG_1362.thumb.jpeg.9d6249402cb45c55f43e084a6e3ad23c.jpeg

Now that I look at the picture, I think it needs those last two bands.

Ron, have fun on your voyage!  Kev, I hope all is well with you and your family!!  Everyone else, thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at my build log.  I appreciate the interest.

Nice oars, Brian. What happened to that keg of vodka?

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

Nice oars, Brian. What happened to that keg of vodka?

Burp!  

I cleaned off my new drafting table after completing the Secret Vessel, and am getting ready to pack the beer keg up and head back to the coast and the Granado Build.  Before I left I thought I would take some pictures of the Secret Vessel (taken with my iPhone still), just in case she doesn't travel well.... I still need to paint the corkscrews black when I get to the beach, and I have a real camera there that I will use to take some pics for the Finished Gallery Photos.   I get lots of natural light in the afternoon in my little office/shop.  I have another desk coming in that will hold my iMac, and I still have to order some storage cabinets (old seed cabinets from a hardware store).  Still a lot of work to do in this space, but the table worked out well so far.

IMG_1372.thumb.jpeg.a6624609c91ca6c4761b4fc8bc567f40.jpeg

IMG_1380.thumb.jpeg.2d29e33c87ee8329ce6539f075fc5eb8.jpeg

IMG_1377.thumb.jpeg.e19940c08ff2e09ed909d67e795a774e.jpeg

IMG_1376.thumb.jpeg.1ed5f2006f8afc3f3fdc038ef6898ef0.jpeg

IMG_1374.thumb.jpeg.e36be204df6ccd2709a57e8d4c4e8491.jpeg

Wow even the up close pictures are great.  All the lines are perfect , I just might get one someday it's that inspirational. The added black bands are right on . Over all nicely done.  :cheers:

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

Just now, Knocklouder said:

Wow even the up close pictures are great.  All the lines are perfect , I just might get one someday it's that inspirational. The added black bands are right on . Over all nicely done.  :cheers:

What's that Green stuff on the ground out the window ?  lol

3 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

Perfection has been achieved.  :imNotWorthy:

Awww, stop it!  My head is going to blow up like a Chinese Ballon