Looking for correctly scaled lines and rope

Hello everyone, 

Currently I'm working on my first model, the America 1:155 the scale by Corel.  While this is a basic kit for me to get started, I'd like to get lines that are scaled properly.  I've seen that there is a lot of variety and sizes out there.  Does anyone know of a resource or place where I can find the correct size lines for different scales?  

Thank you all in advance and Happy New Year,

Mike

Chuck also sells the "Rope Rocket" in easy-to-build kit form.  That plus an electric drill, and you can make just about any type, scale and color rope you need ... for this and any future project.

EDIT:  oops, 'didn't figure the small scale of the present concern - so 'spun' rope that will be the correct size may not be available or able to be made on a rope making jig.  Fine silk thread may work for the smallest.  Specialty sewing stores or quilt shops sometimes have the finest size commercially available, and the weights go up from there.

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny
more data

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

1:155 Will be a bit challenging, particularly for the smaller sizes..

This may be a case of " what looks good, is good.. "

How many different sizes does the model call for...

Say it is 5 sizes..  I would go to ropes of scale, or Syren, and choose their 5 smallest sizes.

I would then compare them to how they would look on your model..

This chart at Syren may be of some help..  https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/resources/Suren Ultra Scale Rope Size chart.pdf

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

30 minutes ago, Gregory said:

1:155 Will be a bit challenging, particularly for the smaller sizes..

This may be a case of " what looks good, is good.. "

In smaller scales, very fine wire is frequently a better option for rigging line. Fishermen's fly-tying thread is also a good material for fine rigging line. 

The gurus of micro scales may be of help, especially including wire rope as Bob has mentioned.  If you find a used copy of a book by Donald McNarry and or Lloyd McCaffery these may be of a big help for you.   There are copies on the cheap on line.  The rope is one thing, making to-scale realistic looking blocks at that scale is another challenge in which they delve.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'm using Guterrmann Sew All polyester thread on my 1:120 project and it's a tad small. It may or may not work for you but one spool is cheap.

https://www.joann.com/gutermann-sew-all-polyester-thread-110-yards-greens/2276160.html

The actual size of rigging on a ship was determined by formulas based upon mast dimensions. A good source for this information is Wolfram zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models (Sterling Publishing Co. Inc., New York,1989), page 272. Other references may use slightly different formulas, but they all come out about the same.

Be careful here - mast diameters are used for the calculations, but ropes are measured by circumference. Mondfeld is not clear about this! The first time I used his calculations I was getting lines (diameters) that were way too large - 3.14159 times too large.

Then to confuse the issue more, modern thread, wire and such is usually sized by diameter. So after you get the desired circumference divide it by pi (3.14159) to get the diameter.

Generally the size (circumference) of the main stay is determined first, and all other lines are listed as a percentage of the circumference of the main stay.

I’m using sewing thread and single strands of DMC embroidery floss for my 1/200 Solferino.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

For masts, spars, and rigging line sizes go to the spread sheet (based on David Lees' formulas) in the articles database here at MSW developed by Danny Vadas.  Except for the period 1670-1710 it works very well.  For that specific time period it is completely wrong and should not be used.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am working in 1:160 scale (= railway model N-scale in Europe), so very close to your 1:155 scale. My materials of choice are fly-tying threads, e.g. the Danish Veevus and others. They are available in a variety of colours and down to 18/0 for two-ply threads.

This implies that you have to make your own 'rope' from these threads, which is not really difficult. Not sure, however, whether the commercially available kits for rope-walks (e.g. the 'rope-rocket' mentioned above) would be suitable for such fine 'ropes', but I have not tried them myself, as I built my own rope-walk from bits and pieces.

As Allan mentioned above, the real challenge is not so much making ropes, but rather the correct sized blocks. I know what I am talking about, as I spent considerable time on trying out different methods. However, modern technology eventually will come to our rescue in form of 3D-printed blocks. For the moment sizes below two millimetres are not commercially available yet, but I am sure they will come in the near future, if there is sufficient demand (and there should be).

Incidentally, Donald McNarry didn't go too much into detail on rigging in his books, but Lloyd McCaffery does. However, he works on scales 1/300 and smaller in general and uses NiCr-wire twisted in two strands throughout. He kind of 'fakes' blocks by punching out oval paper disks (with homemade punches) and attaches them to preformed wire tackles etc. To be honest, I don't think this is results in very realistic rigging in 1:160 scale, so I dropped this idea. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Do it before the striped bass start heading your way in the spring!😀   They caused me many a missed day in the ship model shop (and work) when they got down the shore.

Allan