Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

my skis abruptly stopped in the freshly blown crud, but made no prior mention of it to me, so I kept going.  It felt like I was hurled into the “snow”

I laughed when I read that, but only because once upon a time during one of my extremely limited number of ski trips, I had a similar fall -- went off a groomed trail into some deep powder. Skis plunged deeply into the soft powder, followed quickly by upper torso/face. No injuries, thankfully. Of such episodes are memories made!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Collarbone fractures can be painful. Hope you heal quickly.  I fractured my left forearm while ice skating as a kid. After the fall I looked down my coat sleeve and saw my arm now "had two elbows" but the 2nd one was midway between real elbow and wrist. 

5 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Collarbone fractures can be painful. Hope you heal quickly.  I fractured my left forearm while ice skating as a kid. After the fall I looked down my coat sleeve and saw my arm now "had two elbows" but the 2nd one was midway between real elbow and wrist. 

I broke my right arm as a teenager, in my case it was two wrists! 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

10 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I laughed when I read that, but only because once upon a time during one of my extremely limited number of ski trips, I had a similar fall -- went off a groomed trail into some deep powder. Skis plunged deeply into the soft powder, followed quickly by upper torso/face. No injuries, thankfully. Of such episodes are memories made!

I only wish I had the chance to get a picture of the trench I made. Or even better, had someone catch me on video.
I really would have liked to see it unfold from an outside perspective.

So many times we do these spectacular “stunts”, but like the “record sized” fish that got away, no picture, no proof! 😜

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

The end result is I now have a broken collarbone.

OUCH!!!!

Did something similar when I was a kid, you know Kids, Hill & Snow = Unforeseen, Sometimes painful, setbacks.... (which are by their nature more easily remembered than the thrill of downhilling)

Get well brother...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks everyone for all your kind comments and well wishes! They’ve made a great start to my recovery. Thank you all so very much!

Now that I seem to be blessed with extra googling time, I’ve made a rather interesting discovery with respect to my Hurricane build. Early on there was a discussion about my choice in colour scheme and whether it was appropriate for a fabric winged Hurricane.

Well….maybe? 🤔

One of the options in the decal set I ordered was Hurricane V7203 LE T, part of 242 squadron (Douglas Bader’s bunch, he flew LE D).

Digging a little bit I found this interesting discussion and photo on the Britmodeller forum. Seems like this particular plane, produced in July 1940, went into service with fabric, rather than metal wings. If you look closely at the photo in the discussion, you can clearly see the wing ribs, especially near the wingtip.

Apparently (according to the discussion) the first few (25) Hurricanes of the “V” serial numbers came off the line with this configuration. Fabric wings, sky underbelly, and underwing roundels. 

So all you purists can climb back up the tree and don’t worry about the shaking…

it’s just a chainsaw… 😜😁

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Gulp! 😱 🌳

Good find Andy, it also still seemed to have an un-armoured windscreen…

Funny thing about that, the Airfix kit claims to include both options, but I can’t tell which is which. Probably the detail at 1:72 is too small to tell, maybe the plastic is a fraction thinner. They had to do something to keep the squeaky ones happy. Placebo effect! 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

24 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

So all you purists can climb back up the tree and don’t worry about the shaking…

it’s just a chainsaw…

Well done brother... {chuckle} Although I believe we don't have that many absolute purists around here...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

6 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Well done brother... {chuckle} Although I believe we don't have that many absolute purists around here...

Pretty much all the advice/guidance/information given around here is shared with the absolute best of intentions. It is most welcome. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sorry  to hear  about your  chilly  calamity  -   hope  you have a  speedy  recovery   -  never  tried  it myself  -  I preferred  to hurt myself  by  Mountain biking  Yep  once  Fractured  my  femur  that  way.

Loving  your  Hurricane  -  its  coming a long  really nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Funny thing about that, the Airfix kit claims to include both options, but I can’t tell which is which. Probably the detail at 1:72 is too small to tell, maybe the plastic is a fraction thinner. They had to do something to keep the squeaky ones happy. Placebo effect! 

Andy

🐭 I’d never fall for that…. 🤔🤣

I'm glad the ski crash wasn't worse, Andy.  When I got out of the Marines, the city we lived in had a place called "Suicide Hill" which lived  up to it's name as a couple adults did die on it but luckily no kids did..  It was roughly a half mile long and very steep with trees. My son loved for me to take him tobogganing there.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OW-OW-OW. When I was about 9, I had a kid throw a stickball bat at me on my bike. I went over the handlebars and landed on my right shoulder. Ended up as a green stick break of my right collar bone, 6 weeks in a sling. Back in the days when our bones were semi-flexible. It was the next to last week of school, so the first month of summer vacation I wore that sling.

I hope your sling/plate doesn't cramp your build, but between the break and the meds, I'd be surprised. Take care.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks again, everyone!

Small update. Just got back from the fracture clinic. Surgery is in my near future, pins and plates, maybe tomorrow. I actually feel this is a good thing, my recovery should be quicker and overall less painful, and in long term better for me.

I’ll be back at the workbench soon! 🤞

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

I’ll be back at the workbench soon!

Take care of the important things first brother, we will wait for you...

Quote:

Let the docs do their thing and follow their advice.  You'll be back in the workshop soon.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys, I will absolutely be sure to follow instructions. 
Just heard from the hospital, my surgery is confirmed for Sunday. I’m mostly pain free, and only need the occasional over-the-counter ibuprofen, so I don’t mind. There’s a plan in place, just have to go at things one step at a time.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Good news, Andy. The plate will really help. Like everyone said, follow the doctors orders, but don't lay around either.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

14 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Thanks again, everyone!

Small update. Just got back from the fracture clinic. Surgery is in my near future, pins and plates, maybe tomorrow. I actually feel this is a good thing, my recovery should be quicker and overall less painful, and in long term better for me.

I’ll be back at the workbench soon! 🤞

Andy

Sorry to hear of the crash, but glad you're getting fixed quickly!

Will they use metal pins and plates or wood and fabric 🤔😊😇

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 1/14/2023 at 1:57 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Sorry to hear of the crash, but glad you're getting fixed quickly!

Will they use metal pins and plates or wood and fabric 🤔😊😇

39 minutes ago, Canute said:

Bubblegum and bailing wire.

Duct tape! 😆

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Not much to update on either the build or my busted collarbone. I’ve been bumped three times already due to “emergency” cases. The routine for the last few days has been wake up, get a phone call saying hang on for another phone call, starve for a longer part of the day than is comfortable, get a disappointing phone call, then gorge ravenously on whatever food happens to be lying about. Thankfully I’m at home and relatively comfortable, rather than mouldering in some hospital, going squirrely.

On the positive side, my decals arrived today! Very nice! Might have to buy a couple more hurricane kits, can’t let a good decal sheet go to waste!

The decals are printed by Microscale, so the paper and film should be of good quality, and the print alignment looks great (no off centre roundels). The only thing that’s missing is the registration number for the Hurricane I wish to do, but that’s ok, since the number is black I can experiment with my word processor, laser printer and some blank decal paper. I’ve done that trick before and it works pretty well.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have too many concerns ordering again from Thunderbird Models. For my fellow Canadian modellers, there are some interesting domestic aftermarket decal options for commercially available kits, as well as a plethora of details for anyone interested in bush planes and pioneering in the far north.

They also carry a rather extensive line of instrument panels details for a wide variety of aircraft. Their website is worth exploring, there might be something there that you’re look for.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

10 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Their website is worth exploring, there might be something there that you’re look for.

Absolutely! just watch out for those shipping charges to the US, WOW!!!!

Bought a model from Great Hobbies (another great Canadian shop), $130 US for the model turned into $205 shipped... I canceled the order....

Got the same model from Hannant's (hard to find kit) plus two others in the harder to find category and wound up at $210 shipped for three hard to find models from England no less......

Just a reminder to check your shipping charges, some mailing services are insane...

Quote:

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Absolutely! just watch out for those shipping charges to the US, WOW!!!!

Bought a model from Great Hobbies (another great Canadian shop), $130 US for the model turned into $205 shipped... I canceled the order....

Got the same model from Hannant's (hard to find kit) plus two others in the harder to find category and wound up at $210 shipped for three hard to find models from England no less......

Just a reminder to check your shipping charges, some mailing services are insane...

Shipping is always the delicate dance. Is the value of the item(s) worth the shipping, or is the shipping cost extortionate. I didn’t do too badly on the aftermarket parts for my Wellington build (about $15 CAD) to bring that order up from Australia. However when I first went looking for decals for my Hurricane, it would have cost me $15 to ship a $10 envelope of decals from the UK (uh, that was a NOPE). 

For what it’s worth, have a look at Sunward hobbies, they have a $60 (CAD) threshold to qualify for free shipping for almost anywhere in Canada or the US. (Not associated with Sunward, just plugging a local business 😜)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Just picked up this thread.....good luck on the surgery and recovery Andy!  I have surprisingly never broke anything all these years playing hockey and even embarrassingly trying my hand at skiing a couple times even.

I have not worked with an Airfix kit yet, but my local hobby shop does stock them.  I find the 1/72 very small.  I have been tinkering with a Tamiya Spitfire kit, but don't think I'll ever go that small again.  Lots of small parts that I find I break off inadvertently with my carelessness.

I somehow got sidetracked from scratch building lake freighters ( was getting started on the Tim S Dool ), and am now on a kit building kick.  Trying to focus on RAF (or RCAF) planes.  The model club I belong too is part of the Canadian Aviation Museum here in Windsor, so that is becoming a focus for my hobby time.  Plus Santa brought me a couple kits and a low end airbrush too.

Love the way this Hurricane is coming along. 

44 minutes ago, JKC27 said:

Just picked up this thread.....good luck on the surgery and recovery Andy!  I have surprisingly never broke anything all these years playing hockey and even embarrassingly trying my hand at skiing a couple times even.

I have not worked with an Airfix kit yet, but my local hobby shop does stock them.  I find the 1/72 very small.  I have been tinkering with a Tamiya Spitfire kit, but don't think I'll ever go that small again.  Lots of small parts that I find I break off inadvertently with my carelessness.

I somehow got sidetracked from scratch building lake freighters ( was getting started on the Tim S Dool ), and am now on a kit building kick.  Trying to focus on RAF (or RCAF) planes.  The model club I belong too is part of the Canadian Aviation Museum here in Windsor, so that is becoming a focus for my hobby time.  Plus Santa brought me a couple kits and a low end airbrush too.

Love the way this Hurricane is coming along. 

Thanks!

Sounds like you’re having fun with that modelling club! Yeah they’ll lead you down some rabbit holes, but it’s all fun.

Airfix kits are generally pretty good, with some caveats. The more recent releases are cleaner, better, moulds, and require somewhat less fussing.

If you see something interesting (regardless of manufacturer) you can check on Scalemates to see when the kit was tooled, preview the build instructions, and see what’s available in the way of aftermarket parts.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

33 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Thanks!

Sounds like you’re having fun with that modelling club! Yeah they’ll lead you down some rabbit holes, but it’s all fun.

Airfix kits are generally pretty good, with some caveats. The more recent releases are cleaner, better, moulds, and require somewhat less fussing.

If you see something interesting (regardless of manufacturer) you can check on Scalemates to see when the kit was tooled, preview the build instructions, and see what’s available in the way of aftermarket parts.

Andy

There are couple guys in the club that swear by Tamiya, but as with anything in life everyone has their preference for whatever reasons.  Scalemates has been a great resource, but that rabbit hole you mentioned keep getting bigger.  :)

Not to hijack this thread, but club I am in, just acquired, as is going to doing a big group build on a 1/32 scale Lancaster bomber that we trying to make as close as possible to the one that is being restored here in Windsor that used to be on display in a city park.

https://canadianaviationmuseum.ca/