New Member Introduction

Aiken

Dear Members of the Model Ship World:

After a 5 year hiatus from the ship modeling hobby, it's great for this 83 year old to return to a lifetime interest along with enjoying nautical research. As the son of an architect / engineer, I learned about building models at an early age. But it wasn't until retirement in 2005 that I really got my hands on some basswood, decent tools and a couple of kits.

Living in St. Michaels, MD (1985-1990) created a serious interest in the workboats of the Chesapeake Bay that harvest oysters and crabs. I've built a Chesapeake Bay Buyboat, which appeared on the inside front cover of the February and May/June 2015 issues of Ships In Scale. That was followed up by a model of a Hooper Island Draketail in the March/April 2016 issue of Ships In Scale.

The relocation from Florida up to South Carolina in 2016, along with my wife's health situation, pulled me away from the hobby until her passing in 2018. This was followed up by a two year restoration of a 1952 Chevy, then a major heart attack in March of this past year, which now has me living in a three room apartment in an adult care living facility. The second bedroom is the hobby room, office and library, with every available space utilized, similar to my earlier life on a U. S. Navy destroyer in the 1960's.

When re-joining the NRG, Mary Van Dahm even remembered my name from the previous 25 year membership. So it's great to once again become a member of that fine organization as well as becoming part of MSW. Currently I am working on an excellent Model Expo kit of the Willie L. Bennett, a classic Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, some build logs which currently appear in MSW for guidance.

I will look forward to hearing from any fellow MSW / NRG members who share a similar interest in Chesapeake Bay workboats, and wish you all "fare winds and following seas" from Aiken, SC

WELCOME BACK TO MSW !!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

"fare winds and following seas" to you too Aiken, I am a new boy here and have found it a wonderful place to learn and make new 'shipmates'.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Welcome back to MSW. Glad to have you back aboard. 

Edited by Keith Black

A hearty "welcome back!" from just up the road in Greer. Life has thrown you some curve balls of late -- hope you get much satisfaction out of your current project.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Very happy to see you return to the fray Aiken

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome back home, Aiken.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome back!!!!

Current Wood Builds

HMS Victory Cross Section 

Future Wood Builds

18th Century Longboat-Model Shipways

America Cup Endeavour Kit-Amati

1/50 san Fransisco II Cross Section- Artesania Latina

1910 American Fishing Schooner Elsie-Model Shipways

1/100 Korean Turtle Warship