Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks Ken and Larry.  It is nice to be back here again and contributing to my favorite forum.   :bird-vi:

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

David,

We have missed you on MSW.  Glad to see you back and cannot wait to see your updates on your Niagara.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Beautiful! I saw the Niagra on sale on ME this past week at a very good price - if there wasn't a household ban on kit acquisitions I would leap at it! Your build is an inspiration

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you Hamilton.  That is very kind of you to say.

David 

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...

one f the most fun jobs was making the guns.  :D

I just finished making the guns for this kit and can't figure out if the blocks for their rigging as depicted in the plans are included in the kit--looks like each carronade would need 5 single and 5 double blocks, and the long gun carriages 3/3 each??  were you planning on setting them up like that, or leaving them without rigging?

Hi Mark

Your maths is correct.

90 of each size for the carronades alone

I haven't counted what comes with the kit or how many we will need for the rigging

What do you think

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

• 4 weeks later...

Mark,

Sorry I have been away for a bit and didn't see your question.  I am not sure how you have come up with the block count for the gun tackle.  The plans show 4 single blocks for the gun tackle.  I used 2 singles and 2 double blocks (based on figure 16-16 in Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern).  

The plans show the tackle line being attached to the strop on the inward block then to the gunnel block and back to the inward block (the carronade slide).  In practice on the Niagara today, to haul the carronade in we take the block off of the gunnel eye bolt make a twist and hook it to the ring bolt on the deck.  To haul the gun in, we reverse the process.

Anyhow to my count you need 80 blocks all together.  By the plans 80 singles....the way I rigged them 40 singles and 40 doubles.  I did not make train tackles for the long guns as there was not enough room on the deck (and it looked to crowded) and they were not necessary for the carronades.  There are enough blocks for this and I think also for all the rigging.  If not, Model expo will send you more. (they are very good).

Hope this helps.

David 

Over the Labor Day holiday weekend I had the pleasure of working my (you-know-whats off) on the Brig Niagara for the Bi-centennial re-enactment of the Battle of Lake Erie.  It was a wonderful experience and I was able to be part of the gunning crew for the 32 pound carronades.  

Attached are some pictures of the re-enactment.  Sadly there were so many pleasure boats out and so close to the tall ships that we were limited in the number of volleys we could send.

Here are some pictures of the event.

post-749-0-59663600-1378224872_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-49059700-1378224873_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-03692700-1378224874_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-69356200-1378224874_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-57802100-1378224875_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-56454500-1378224876_thumb.jpg

post-749-0-69249500-1378225620_thumb.jpg

David 

Hi David.....I am so envious. I was in Erie last week and had to leave. We couldn't stay around for the re-enactment (found out too late). I think the ship had just left Green Bay to come to Erie for the event. Congrats on being part of the crew. I'll be following your log closely as this is my next build. I'm on my way to Boston to see the Constitution, then to Mystic to see the CW Morgana again. I have been on board each twice before, but now building the Morgan and just finished the Conny, so I'm looking forward to the tours. Great build on your model, thanks for all the pictures and hope to see more.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

David, allow me to echo John's sentiments on envy. I remembered talking with you a while back about doing that and I was really interested in seeing the event, but life with the family seems to get in the way so often. I'm glad to hear you had a good time though. We're all looking forward to some more progress on your Niagara.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Glad you enjoyed it ---- and thanks for sharing :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi David,

You lucky so and so...! :)

Really nice pictures. Thank you!

Joseph Osborne

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

That was quite an adventure.  I am envious.  It had to be a thrill to be a crew member on the re-enactment. I am glad you shared your experience with us.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Everything looks perfect. I only hope I can nearly match your work when I start (probably January at this point - still churning on Fair American). By the way, when your model is completed, will the build log be accessible in an archive somewhere for me to review the excellent photographs - picture is worth a 1000 words, and would be a great addition to the kit instructions?

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA

• 3 weeks later...

Rshaw, I know the feeling, I was there about 10 days too early.  At least we got to see some pictures from the event....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

:piratebo5: Many thanks David for the relog,excellent and useful photo"s,and info.I was given the start(hull,bulkheads,that was started but was badly broken with a dozen pieces broken,I challenged myself to have a go and try to bring it back to life,have been watching Larry"s build and others,have learnt a lot,will get pictures as soon as able to,will follow your blog,Edwin