Good to be aboard. Greetings from Alberta, Canada.

I was recently "gifted" with a ship model with the hope I would be able to do some restoration on it which as can be seen is rather extensive. As far as I can determine, it is about 40+ years old. I have tried searching for something similar but without success. It measures about 36" in length and about 24" from keel to top of the masts. The name plate on the four-masted is "Fullerton." The square sails on the foremast and triangular on the other three masts is a setup I have not seen before. if anyone has some clues to offer about this model, I would certainly be most appreciative.

20230301_104322.jpg

20230301_104208.jpg

20230301_104154.jpg

I did a Google search for four-masted barkentine Fullerton.

I found a number of articles referencing the Fullerton - a court filing detailing a collision between a freight car ferryboat named Transit and the Fullerton, which is described as a four-masted barkentine 235 feet in length in this article and as a ship of the same configuration acting as an oil freighter operated by Union Oil in another article.

The articles hint at available images but I didn't go very far down the rabbit hole.

The court document is very interesting reading.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Edited by VitusBering

:sign:

seems like a challenging model to restore 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome aboard, Al! As Vitus mentioned, your model is a four-masted barkentine (sometimes spelled barquentine), a ship that is square-rigged on its foremast and fore-and-aft rigged on the remaining masts. It is quite likely a scratch-built model, perhaps built by a former crew member or someone who was familiar with her (would be nice to know, wouldn't it?), which means it's a one-of-a-kind model and definitely worthy of restoration. Some of our members are knowledgeable about this kind of work and will be able to give you some guidance.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Welcome to Model Ship World Al, the virtual motherlode of knowledge and guidance with respect to ship models.  That is one interesting project you have on hand.  It sounds like some reference material is available for you to mine for information.  Please start a build log if you endeavor to proceed with the restoration so we can learn more about the history of this interesting vessel. 

Best regards!

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Welcome to MSW, Al.  That looks to be a excellent project of a rare model.   Feel free to open a Restoration log in the Scratch Area.  By doing that, you might get more info and also help as needed and we get to watch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A big thank you to VitusBering. Using several search machines, I have come up with some history and documents on this ship. Still trying to find where she may have been built but the journey is just getting more interesting. I will definitely start a log  to record what I find.

Sorry, not sure why the above is in boldface. Tried to change it but no go.

Edited by Al Litchfield

As Chris suggests, the discipline that you should consider following is to repair and restore this model to its launch state as closely as possible.

It should also be given a protective case.

Any impulse to do "improvements"  should perhaps be given to a new scratch build of another model.  HAMMS has plans for a 1902 four masted barkentine with spars and rigging plans as well as lines.

The price of copies from The S.I. is fairly low.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to butt in -- HAMMS is the Historic American Merchant Marine Survey.

They're a branch of the Smithsonian Institution (that's the S.I. part).

https://sova.si.edu/record/NMAH.AC.0240

https://americanhistory.si.edu/archives

The Institution is a great resource.

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW.

It would be nice to see what you do with the model.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED