I am currently building a Model Shipways kit.  It contains a fair number of metal parts (including cannons) which are cast in Britannia.  The castings are quite crude and I would like to eliminate the seams and other extrusions and get them ready for painting.  How do you go about this task.....files, sandpaper, grinding wheels.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

Easier way….order resin replacements from Syren Ship Company.

otherwise use a #11 blade and scrape off the big stuff, then file, then paint with primer, hit it with some 400 sand paper, prime again, drill out the muzzle a little and paint.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Small files work well for precision and yield a bright smooth finish.  Thinned  Mr Primer, brushed on to prime.

FEFEF539-8C1F-4AD1-8984-AA528062AEA6.thumb.jpeg.6a20f5229cb8e5e657238a7d533aa32c.jpeg

Those are pretty cool little tools - are they too harsh to use on wood? How long do they last?

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

14 hours ago, rcmdrvr said:

I am currently building a Model Shipways kit.

Which ship?   We have a number of STL drawings completed of cannon that you can send to a 3D printer and have them made in black resin.  I paid about $0.60 each for perfect cannon, including freight, about a year ago.  We have about 30 cannon drawings done with over a 100 to go but there might be a fit with the ones that are complete depending on which ship your building,

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

16 hours ago, aliluke said:

Those are pretty cool little tools - are they too harsh to use on wood? How long do they last?

Files are years and years old, work on wood….clean after use with a file card….

IMG_8882.jpeg.5fe88dd08b23a7d49660bd208226aa14.jpeg

On 4/21/2023 at 11:54 PM, James H said:

I don't know how these will be with metal.

I use these for plastics and resin and they are unbeatable.

he_7001_title.jpg

These look like diamond-files. Question is what quality they are. Industry produces a wide variety of such diamond tools with different types of bonding between the metal mandrel and the diamond grit. I suspect that they are resin-bonded, which is cheaper and softer than electroplating-type bonding, which is employed for files to be used on teeth or on metal. When using such files on Britannia-metal, you will just rip out the diamonds and imbed them into your workpiece ...

Ordinary jewellers files will clog up quickly when used on soft materials such as Britannia-metal. There are special 'tin-files' that are not cross-cut, but have single rows of teeth only - but they are expensive and difficult to find. Clean the files regularly with a file-brush and rub some blackboard-chalk on them, which retards the clogging.

Otherwise, I would work with abrasive wheels in a hand-held drill.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg