Spitfire Mk XVI by Javlin - FINISHED - Eduard - 1/48 - French 1945

I have not built an Eduard in a while if ever and have to say this is a saaweeeet Kit! The fit is just about perfect filler was a minimum on one wing root only.The kit supplied the PE to build up the pit though being a Spit not alot to see but I did use for the first time the SG with the light worked great for the bezels.I have been back with my MM enamels of late having found that MR.Color Leveling thinner for lacquers works Frigg'in excellente allowing me to thin to a 60/70 ratio of thinner and get a good application and is reviving some of the ole paints.The camo was all applied @17psi with the draw back on the trigger set to very light spray.The camo was drawn out with a pencil one at a time hitting the pencil line 2X and filling in the area it took me about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to paint the whole plane,the airbrush never stops moving in various patterns.I started the build last Monday after shelving it for sometime for lack of interest but I think it's time to clean up those off the SOD.;)

Tempest 001.JPG

Spitfire MkXVI 002.JPG

Spitfire MkXVI 003.JPG

Spitfire MkXVI 004.JPG

My MM Ocean Grey was to far gone to bring back with the leveling thinner and OG has a tint of blue I went US Intermediate blue I'm thinking a little to blue but the flash also is overstating the blue some what.:rolleyes:

I went back out to the shop to clean the AB definitely not that blue will take final pics outdoors natural light next week.;)

Edited by Javlin

Great start Kevin!  Looks fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

17 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

This Spitfire, apparently introduced late in the war has squared off wing tips.  Can anyone explain?

I think the MkXVI's were generally used for V-1 doodlebugs.The tips could be changed easily in the field in minutes.

Your answer;

Clipped = tip of clipped wings

• Advantage:increased speed and lateral maneuverability. wings reduced by about one meter.
  • Disadvantages: this reduces the bearing surface and increases the marginal vortices

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/77164/why-did-some-spitfire-variants-have-their-wings-clipped

Edgar Brooks:

Clipped wingtips were an essential modification (one of several, in fact,) when fitting the fuel tank behind the pilot, and, even then, the stub-spar, on frame 5, also needed strengthening. (11 Group hated the idea, and fought against it, due to the detrimental effect the mods had on performance,)Post-war, use of the tank was banned, which probably allowed standard wingtips (and elevators, which had to be metal-covered on the XVI) to be refitted.

Edgar

More Ammo;Clipped wing: This mod was found to be necessary on the Spit IX when used for dive bombing, as several cases of severe skin wrinkling occurred in 2TAF. A gain in strength of 10% is obtained by this means. It is considered by the MAP that on a Spit IX or XIV with full bomb load and extra internal fuel, the reserve strength factors would be unacceptably low unless the wings were clipped

Edited by Javlin

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

Thats looking very nice Jav. I need to try an Eduard kit

Alan

They  are excellent  Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Javlin said:

she was a quick build

You aren't kidding!!!!

CRACK!!! the lightning bolt hits and before the smoke clears there is a newly born Spitfire....

I wish I was that fast....

Nice work btw... the colors look spot on... (proper pattern as well)

Well Done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"