Mini self contained airbrush

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 'normal' airbrush only and would venture the guess that, while it looks neat, it would not be very handy for detail work, given the bulky air container. I wonder also, for how long the battery charge would last.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I have a basic single action Badger airbrush, and it’s a well made tool. I have no quarrel with its quality.  But, with neuropathy in my hands, I find it awkward to use as it is necessary with one hand to both hold the paint reservoir and push the spray button while making sure that I don’t get tangled up in the hose from the compressor.  My current need, is basic paint spaying rather than artistic detailing.

If this one piece unit actually works and has reasonable endurance, it might solve my problem.

Roger

16 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

If this one piece unit actually works and has reasonable endurance, it might solve my problem.

My initial impression is that if these "self-contained" airbrushes which have recently hit the market are really the best thing since sliced bread, the big-name airbrush companies would be making and selling them, too. The jury's still out and I have no first-hand experience with them, but for the low prices of a lot of them, compared to the cost of a decent airbrush alone, I greatly suspect that the airbrush part of them isn't close to the traditional airbrushes in terms of quality and reliability. 

I agree that if one is "just painting models" and not interested in airbrushing fine lines and "special effects" such as weathering and camouflage patterns, a less expensive "plain vanilla" high quality single-action airbrush would be the way to go, They aren't all that expensive. That said, for a few dollars more, why not go for a double-action model because you never know when you might need one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started with a Badger airbrush and a small California Air compressor (both are quality inexpensive products).  I'm not an artist, I don't make fine lines.  I want to paint stuff with a color I can mix, I use my airbrush more like a small spray can of paint.  There is a learning curve to figure out air pressure, paint thinning, and cleaning the airbrush.

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

On 9/3/2023 at 4:28 PM, Bill Hudson said:

Has any one tried or use this type of airbrush?             image.jpeg.b809bc750663e1c1499616ccff57ed06.jpeg

I would suggest to go with a regular small air compressor and an airbrush.
The compressor will let you to adjust the pressure more easily.
And to me it looks like one has to have a compressor to recharge the canister. So why buy such a unit?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I keep seeing this topic pop up from time to time.  Perhaps the question would have been better asked with a link to the actual product.   I've seen such a thing at Micro-mark, so here's the link:

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Mark-Self-Contained-Portable-Broad-Spray-Airbrush

That one is slightly different from the one pictured above.  The Micromark unit has a "MAC" valve and a slightly more ergonomic looking air tank.

I've not used one, but to answer some of the questions above, based on my understanding of the description and video that micromark has...

- The airbrush part is just a standard air brush that can be detached and used with a normal compressor.  The unique part is the integrated tank/battery powered compressor.  The air brush is likely a Chinese made imitation of one of the standard types which can be had for 40 bucks or less.  The one with the micromark kit looks a lot like the Neoeco NCT SJ81 (https://neoeco-airbrush.com/products/neoeco-nct-sj81-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush).  Neoeco is an OEM for a lot of places that resell airbrushes.   I have suspected they are the ones who make one of the other airbrushes that micromark sells though that is just a guess.

- The part you hold has a small tank, battery and compressor.  One battery charge lasts approximately 40 minutes according to the page.  Since it has a small tank that should keep the pressure relatively stable until the battery expires.

I have four concerns about it.

1. The same concern that wefalck has....it seems like it would be awkward to hold and use especially if attempting some detail work.

2. It does not appear to have a method to adjust the air pressure or even a method to indicate what the current pressure is.  I am no airbrush expert and have only used one in the last few years (mostly on plastic cars) and even I frequently adjust the air pressure based mostly on the type of paint used, so this seems like a big issue.

3. It seems a bit like a solution in need of a problem, at least for model building.  How often do you really want the air brush to be portable so you can use it anywhere in the room?  For me the answer is never, so it is not an issue to be tied to a compressor.   

4. It has no moisture trap....the micromark page acknowledges this and says one could be put between the tank and the airbrush though that would likely make it even more awkward to hold.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

I have never used one of these models, but use different airbrushes since over thirty years. I always bought quality in airbrushes and compressors as well.

What you choose for your purpose should be determined through some factors, like:
- how often do you use the AB
- what type of airbrushing do you plan, meaning, how fine or how artistic do you go
- which color mediums do you plan to spray 
- what are you planning to invest
- are you willing to learn proper airbrushing (if that is not already the case)
- ergonomics

Choosing the right airbrushing equipment is difficult as is airbrushing itself. My personal view is biased to top quality, like H&S Infinity or Rotring airbrushes, a Sparmax compressor with tank a spray booth and a respirator mask, but I use my airbrushes almost daily and also spray aggressive materials, like lacquer paints.

Assumptions:
The mentioned airbrush might have a pulsing airflow with the tiny or non existent tank, it is bulky and I guess will lead to camps in the hand with longer usage. The cheap fabricated airbrush might be unreliable with the pressure consistency and not too easy to maintain.
I don't now the price of the pictured airbrush, but are there fitting spare parts around, a very important aspect in long term use. Are different needle / nozzle sets available?

One last anecdote about quality, My old compressor died away this year due to expansion tank corrosion. It was a good model and costed me about 400 (hard earned at the time) German Mark, about 200 € in 1984.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

One last anecdote about quality, My old compressor died away this year due to expansion tank corrosion. It was a good model and costed me about 400 (hard earned at the time) German Mark, about 200 € in 1984.

And it's probably likely it could have lasted indefinitely if there had been a way to dry out the condensation inside the tank, as there often isn't. I'll bet the compressor was just fine. Unfortunately, likely due to products liability insurance issues, the compressor tanks are often more costly than the compressors themselves. Consequently, when the tank goes, you might as well throw the whole unit out and buy a new one. Running a hose to a separate portable tank such as are sold for filling auto tires is sometimes a work-around for a tired old tank, though. 

I thoroughly agree with your point: buying the best tool you can possibly afford is always the lease expensive course.

When I partitioned off a section in the basement of my house for a workshop. I ran copper tubing through the walls with tees and valves strategically placed for an air system.  I bought one of the portable air tanks that Bob mentioned, a pressure control valve, a moisture trap, and hooked everything up to an old compressor that I inherited from my Dad.  I even ran a line upstairs into the garage.  To my surprise, it worked!

Fast forward 15 or so years and I was encouraging my son to set up a workshop.  For his birthday, I bought him one of the small compressor/ air tank combinations sold by any major hardware or home improvement store in the US.  The whole outfit cost less than $90.00.  After some disparaging remarks by my daughter-in-law; “why would anyone want one of those?” My son was fixing loose trim in the house with an air nailer.  When I got home, I bought one too,  tore out my air system, and have used it (the combination compressor/ tank) ever since.  It does have a drain valve on the tank and a moisture trap. It has standard NPT connections so it is easily connected to quick disconnect fittings and readily available air brush connections. It is noisy but so are my full sized woodworking tools.  

I don’t know what’s available outside the US, but for US members these compressor/ tank combinations are an easy and  inexpensive way to supply compressed air to an air brush.

Roger

I only posted this to see if any one has used one. There are several type of similar design. Several  have onboard compressors. As far as precision is concerned; there are many people out there who can do some of the finest work with crude equipment.  It is all about the talent.

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

30 minutes ago, Bill Hudson said:

As far as precision is concerned; there are many people out there who can do some of the finest work with crude equipment.  It is all about the talent.

I'd agree with you in many instances. However, I must disagree when it comes to airbrushes. Airbrushes are one of those things that will definitely limit the quality of anyone's work to the quality of the airbrush used regardless of the user's talent. This is because an airbrush is a precision instrument and precision costs money to produce no matter how you cut it. A high-quality airbrush for merely spraying paint can be had for less money than a quality airbrush with a wider spectrum of control features, assuming the user is willing to accept the fact that the only variable he has any control over is the qualities of the material he's spraying. That said, it's hard to believe that at the price they are selling them these Chinese-made "hoseless" units can be all that well built. 

On 9/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, Roger Pellett said:

I have a basic single action Badger airbrush, and it’s a well made tool. I have no quarrel with its quality.  But, with neuropathy in my hands, I find it awkward to use as it is necessary with one hand to both hold the paint reservoir and push the spray button while making sure that I don’t get tangled up in the hose from the compressor.  My current need, is basic paint spaying rather than artistic detailing.

Looking at the picture posted above, I'm not so sure holding the cannister and pushing the "trigger" button at the same time would be all that easy or comfortable to do, particularly with a hand limited by peripheral neuropathy. 

Bob I agree with you about being awkward to hold and operate. Best I can tell is that you would need to hold the brush at 45º or so sideways in your hand to put the finger in a position to operate the trigger. Sorry about your peripheral neuropathy. I have been fighting that for many years and at times I have thought of using it as an excuse to quit modeling. But modeling is so much a  part of me that I can't give it up even though I am now pushing 92 years of age. Hang in there and keep your mind on the project rather the pain.  You can do it.  As for the self contained airbrush I can not see ant advantage. I do not have room in my tiny studio for a noisy compressor and air brush but there are some very small compressors for limited use time. Presently I am using CO2.  Not the best environmentally.

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, Bill Hudson said:

I do not have room in my tiny studio for a noisy compressor and air brush but there are some very small compressors for limited use time.

I came across a "rechargeable cordless mini airbrush" offered on Amazon which has a hose running off the "compressor" unit instead of an integral airbrush. Priced at seventy bucks. Amazon.com: imyyds Airbrush Kit with Compressor, 32PSI High Pressure Cordless Airbrush Gun, Portable Dual Action Handheld Mini Rechargeable Air Brushes for Painting, Model, Nail, Makeup : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

61LeLZx5ipL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That said, and notwithstanding the supposedly "positive" reviews of these things, I still can't imagine that they are comparable in quality or performance to the conventional airbrushing rigs.

Your comment that you don't have space for a compressor and have concerns about a compressor's noise should be resolved by a bit of "shopping" for the newer "compact" airbrush compressors, most of which are far less noisy than the conventional portable shop compressors. Some of these aren't much larger than a shoebox or two and claim to make no more noise that two people having a conversation. This is second-hand information from me, though, since I have larger "contractors" compressors which are noisy, although they have larger tanks and only kick on intermittently once the tank fills up after turning them on.

I must say, however, that from what I've seen of his posts in this forum, Kurt Van Dahm is "da man" when it comes to airbrushing as his status as a consultant for Badger airbrush attests. While he hasn't "authorized" me to do so, I would strongly urge you to read his many posts on airbrushing (use the MSW search engine feature) and send Kurt a message through this forum's messaging feature and ask his advice regarding a quality U.S made airbrush and compressor combination in your price range which best meets your specific needs. (kurtvd19 - Model Ship World™) The smaller airbrush compressors range in price from around fifty bucks (probably for Chinese junk) to around three-hundred and fifty (for U.S top-of-the-line units) and a good entry-level airbrush for ship modeling can probably be had for between fifty and a hundred bucks.

Here's a very instructive recent thread on airbrush selection which should be helpful to anyone who is interested in getting into airbrushing and is considering opting for a pirated Chinese knock-off of a quality U.S. made model. (Yes, reports that they crap out after a few uses abound!) See: 

Edited by Bob Cleek

A major advantage of any compressor/ tank combination is the amount of energy that can be stored.  The compressor that I described in my post  #11 above stores air at 125 psi.  My Badger airbrush requires air at approximately 25psi.  The remaining 100psi x the volume of the tank is stored energy.  The pressure control switch turns the compressor on and off to maintain 125psi in the tank.  This ability to store large amounts of energy in a small volume is what makes compressed air so useful.

Ignoring aerosol type systems, all other systems  for supplying air brushes require the compressor to keep up with demand as without a tank they cannot store energy.  in other words, capacity is dependent on the capacity of the compressor itself.  Compressor capacity will be limited to the volume of the compression chamber x the # of compression cycles/ minute.  This would require the compressor to operate at very high speeds.  The same idea as a Dremel type tools that produce advertised power by speed rather than torque.

It is also possible that these tools might use some type of turbine technology.  This  again would be a low pressure system requiring very high speed operation can producing high frequency noise.  Again without an air tank,  they would probably struggle to keep up with demand.

Roger

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

A major advantage of any compressor/ tank combination is the amount of energy that can be stored.  The compressor that I described in my post  #11 above stores air at 125 psi.  My Badger airbrush requires air at approximately 25psi.  The remaining 100psi x the volume of the tank is stored energy.  The pressure control switch turns the compressor on and off to maintain 125psi in the tank.  This ability to store large amounts of energy in a small volume is what makes compressed air so useful.

Agreed! I have found that the ordinary "contractor's jobsite compressors," which can be had starting at around $100, are not excessively noisy because when used for airbrushing they only turn on intermittently once their tank is charged. There are apparently some modelers who for various reasons wish to have a quieter compressor and/or one which is smaller in size. Their needs seem to be met by the dedicated "airbrush compressors" sold by the various airbrush manufacturers and others.  Those modelers who want the smaller size and quieter operation of the dedicated airbrush compressors may pay a bit of a premium to do so and they will, for the same approximate cost, have a compressor which will lack the power and capacity to operate the wide range of  available air-driven tools or to inflate their car tires and so on. 

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, DocRob said:

I have never used one of these models, but use different airbrushes since over thirty years. I always bought quality in airbrushes and compressors as well.

What you choose for your purpose should be determined through some factors, like:
- how often do you use the AB
- what type of airbrushing do you plan, meaning, how fine or how artistic do you go
- which color mediums do you plan to spray 
- what are you planning to invest
- are you willing to learn proper airbrushing (if that is not already the case)
- ergonomics

Choosing the right airbrushing equipment is difficult as is airbrushing itself. My personal view is biased to top quality, like H&S Infinity or Rotring airbrushes, a Sparmax compressor with tank a spray booth and a respirator mask, but I use my airbrushes almost daily and also spray aggressive materials, like lacquer paints.

Assumptions:
The mentioned airbrush might have a pulsing airflow with the tiny or non existent tank, it is bulky and I guess will lead to camps in the hand with longer usage best cordless airbrush for miniature. The cheap fabricated airbrush might be unreliable with the pressure consistency and not too easy to maintain.
I don't now the price of the pictured airbrush, but are there fitting spare parts around, a very important aspect in long term use. Are different needle / nozzle sets available?

Cheers Rob

I’m thinking about getting an Airbrush. Does anyone here have experience with it? What would you recommend? What do you use it for? Thanks in advance!

Edited by wildtmpckjzg

19 hours ago, wildtmpckjzg said:

I’m thinking about getting an Airbrush. Does anyone here have experience with it? What would you recommend? What do you use it for? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to MSW.  You might consider doing an intro in the New Members area.

Use the search feature (upper right hand side of any page) and in this subform, search for air brush.  You should get a large amount of hits.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)