How to cut chamfers?

Wondering how others are cutting chamfers, I'm having a bit of on issue getting smooth flat chamfers at different angles. While I do have a burns saw, it doesn't have a tilt arbor and besides, most the time the pieces I need to chamfer are much to small for that anyway.  I suppose some type of jig used with a hand chisel might work but just cant seem to find an easy, reliable method. 

Anyone have a method their using that works well for them?

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

I have the thought that with practice a high quality miniature block plane would produce a smooth and accurate bevel:

05P8220-veritas-miniature-block-plane-f-02.thumb.jpg.59c1535df03e15524b95c1f5e39b3eec.jpg

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

@gwish

Thanks, you just cost me a hundred bucks..  Couldn't resist..😁

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

The Ibex planers are great. I have one, didn’t know there were so many variations. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

The Ibex Luthier planes are carving planes.  The blades are convex.  Specifically for a bevel, would not a flat plane level the desired surface?

Now,  for a hull, one of these looks like it has excellent potential. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, Altduck said:

They sure are pretty little tools.

Which size did you get, and how did you decide?

I got the little 8mm blade.

Want to see if it helps making molding strips and other details, and because it's hard to resist pretty little tools.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Ibex planes are great. I use my 8 mm one for shaving the edges of planks (for spiling) for planking the hulls.

I got mine (used) years ago for cheap (about 5 or 8 bucks, I remember) on one of the ship models exhibits from one of the exhibitors.

You can get them used on Ebay or similar, very good, perhaps all you need is to sharpen the blade a bit, if necessary.

Edited by Dziadeczek

21 hours ago, Gregory said:

@gwish

Thanks, you just cost me a hundred bucks..  Couldn't resist..😁

Jewelry is getting very expensive these days! :D 

KS-168_4_2_2.jpg

Bevels on straight edges can be easily cut freehand with a flat plane and a bit of practice or a shop-made jig to provide the angle, but the problem of bevels in ship building and modeling is that there are very few straight edges! Planking, of course, is where the most beveling has to be done and plank edges are very often curved and their bevels can often be "rolling" (i.e., the angle changes over the length of the edge.) A flat-bottomed plane will work on a convex curve if your are careful (using the flat-bottomed plane essentially as one would a spokeshave), but it won't do well on a concave curve because, depending on the amount of curve and the length of the plane sole, the heel and toe of the plane sole are going to "bridge" the curve and so lift the iron up form the working surface. 

What is needed is a set of small pattern-maker's spokeshaves. A basic set of spokeshaves will contain three different spokeshaves: 1) a flat blade with a flat bottom, 2) a flat blade with a rounded bottom, and 3) a rounded blade with a rounded bottom. These three will permit cutting straight and rolling bevels on straight and curved edges. (There are also spokeshaves with soles with other shapes such as curved iron edges for shaping round pieces such as wagon spokes from whence the tool gets its name.) There was once a small company called Aldon Products, P.O. Box 585, Detroit, Michigan 48224, which produced a beautiful set of pattern maker's spokeshaves pictured below.  In another MSW thread some time ago, I discovered Roger Pellet and I each had a set of these beautiful bronze and stainless planes. I've never encountered them elsewhere before or since. I believe the manufacturer has been out of business for over fifty years now and they seemed something of a unicorn these days. Amazingly, though, there are presently two Aldon miniature spokeshave sets offered on eBay U.S. right now! I briefly considered trying to buy both on spec, but decided to contribute the information as my gift to the MSW community. :D  Grab one fast!  https://www.ebay.com/itm/126108562639?hash=item1d5ca7f4cf:g:VyYAAOSwg5JlB2cy&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAUu8LEzrj3XkZwixLDh%2B7kJCG1g8hjecPTrXDbZivA1eJFLE%2FzDmrU4a3b0ut4aMYi07VlWqJ7D7QN0%2BHxC1Rq9FwFWsDcPvroqe1IQaUGk3Lc6N0MN46bZrtrIrXDo0FMhPzWvBIl5f563W%2FgzO2YHHryZ0DR7VijXvL1Yn1XQEUVv0dain3K15X5EvWQCMg0ZvhaPw%2Bka6%2BHO2QAP800dsTQlCBIgpispX1nN%2FE%2FBAobCXa51ARDD%2Bw9fnuM%2BlA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6iE6dPbYg and https://www.ebay.com/itm/334983383832?hash=item4dfe90cb18:g:gqYAAOSwAh5kBK5q&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4LrEMbcpMI3ZiX2XFgBbG0M2py5EyXPo%2FZHwHj7oRC6epybp6nCf%2BbXnHqkYgYnbhhY2hVIt7vv9HPnBd0OdIlx1xx%2FEIoATRD7Zq3%2FUliuZXUuFU6ekz702p4946w1SdOdPsNGDq9fO83L%2BGoEAVbgIBDaaQXSl2ij8qzwDmWS1i1i0CVETOwp6KlisCoezf5Wq9%2BXTHJa1Uz8SeADitL1ZtPXgTxge4AUB6apHi8Hmh%2FZWUMnM5%2FM4D%2F0CFuj8L7Y8mNKqVYjOu95fzOg%2BVf%2FW9IPFrP%2BZoazoBY%2BS3mu7|tkp%3ABk9SR57y9tTbYg )  

image.png.749dd09d23b2339597d70973b08b4420.png

image.png.a97ac718e8620a73c9fa456e36b57d7a.png

Set of Three Miniature Vintage Aldon Products Solid Brass (bronze, actually) Spoke Shaves, Stainless 15/16" Blades, Detroit Michigan. The small planes are made of solid brass, 3 3/4" long with adjustable stainless blades 15/16" wide. One has a flat blade with a flat bottom, one has a flat blade with a rounded bottom and one has a rounded blade with a rounded bottom. This is a versatile set of spoke shaves that can be used for pattern making, model making, cabinet making, and instrument making. Photo credit: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mini-vintage-aldon-solid-brass-3863464343

I do not know of anybody who is manufacturing a set of small pattern maker's spokeshaves today. Perhaps one of the luthier's supply houses may, but I haven't found them. Lee Valley offers a very nice set of full-sized spokeshaves for around $320, but these are probably too large to really serve for miniature work. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/spokeshaves/100613-veritas-spokeshave-set-and-roll 

05P3317 - Veritas Spokeshave Set, PM-V11, & Roll

Lee Valley offers a flat spokeshave in Veritas' line of miniature hand tools for about $45, but not a complete set. (Whether or not one considers the Veritas working miniature tools line as very well done collectable novelties or useful working tools is an open question that must be left to those who buy them.)  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/miniature-tools/spokeshaves/71211-veritas-miniature-spokeshave?item=05P8401 $45

05P8401 - Veritas Miniature Spokeshave
If the available spokeshaves are beyond a modeler's budget, as they certainly can be, a much lower-priced "modeler's plane" is always a better option for beveling than a chisel or hobby knife. Look for anything similar to the old cast iron Stanley "#100 series" planes. See: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan11.htm#num100  Originals are collectable, but "users" may sometimes be had for a good price on eBay, or one can opt for the German-made Kunz replicas which are are perfectly servicable and sell for around $35.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kunz+plane&adgrpid=1330409633793008&hvadid=83150751536610&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=43893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83150945519236%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=24665_13493338&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_7k7as92qis_p

sqi.jpg008.jpg

At the bottom of the price spectrum is today's Stanley #101. (Not your father's Stanley by a long shot!) It is a folded sheet metal replacement for the old #101 modeler's plane that will only set you back around $12. Not much in the "pride of ownership" department if you are a tool wonk, but entirely serviceable and you'll probably be surprised at how often you end up using it for modeling tasks.. A properly sharpened and set plane is worth a thousand sheets of sandpaper. :D  

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-101-Small-Trimming-Plane/dp/B00002X1ZC/ref=asc_df_B00002X1ZC?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333166615611&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932707228013&psc=1

51F+JNbGu0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Bob Cleek

All lovely tools and toys, but I think we have topic drift. The original question (unless I've misunderstood) is making a miniature chamfer on things like bitts, etc. A fine file or sanding stick does the trick. Is all!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

All lovely tools and toys, but I think we have topic drift. The original question (unless I've misunderstood) is making a miniature chamfer on things like bitts, etc. A fine file or sanding stick does the trick. Is all!

Thread drift? Moi? :D 

The original poster asked: 

Wondering how others are cutting chamfers, I'm having a bit of on issue getting smooth flat chamfers at different angles. ...  I suppose some type of jig used with a hand chisel might work but just cant seem to find an easy, reliable method. 

I'm not sure that a broader response is necessarily a "drift. He asked, "Anyone have a method their using that works well for them?" That sounds like an invitation to a pretty wide spectrum of answers. I think there's a world of difference between "make do" and "do best." We're always free to "cut corners" (especially in the case of bevels :D ) and take other shortcuts when modeling. It's up to the individual to determine where their personal standard lies on the precision spectrum. I qualified that my post was addressing "best practices" at the outset. :D

KS-168_4_2_2.jpg

There is a wide range of both bevels and modeling skills. I think that the difference in "crispness" which I find to be a reliable measure of the quality of scale workmanship is often determined by a shape's having been created by cutting rather than abrading. Each shaping method has its place, of course, but as I look at models I made decades ago, the difference between those made in my earlier "sandpaper period" and later when I came to use blades and scrapers more often is very apparent to me. If one can easily form a bevel with sandpaper or a file which is indistinguishable from one made with a cutting blade or scraper, the entire discussion becomes academic, of course.

Edited by Bob Cleek

44 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Thread drift? Moi? :D 

The original poster asked: 

Wondering how others are cutting chamfers, I'm having a bit of on issue getting smooth flat chamfers at different angles. ...  I suppose some type of jig used with a hand chisel might work but just cant seem to find an easy, reliable method. 

I'm not sure that a broader response is necessarily a "drift. He asked, "Anyone have a method their using that works well for them?" That sounds like an invitation to a pretty wide spectrum of answers. I think there's a world of difference between "make do" and "do best." We're always free to "cut corners" (especially in the case of bevels :D ) and take other shortcuts when modeling. It's up to the individual to determine where their personal standard lies on the precision spectrum. I qualified that my post was addressing "best practices" at the outset. :D

KS-168_4_2_2.jpg

There is a wide range of both bevels and modeling skills. I think that the difference in "crispness" which I find to be a reliable measure of the quality of scale workmanship is often determined by a shape's having been created by cutting rather than abrading. Each shaping method has its place, of course, but as I look at models I made decades ago, the difference between those made in my earlier "sandpaper period" and later when I came to use blades and scrapers more often is very apparent to me. If one can easily form a bevel with sandpaper or a file which is indistinguishable from one made with a cutting blade or scraper, the entire discussion becomes academic, of course.

While sandpaper and files will work, I think they are perhaps the most difficult in attaining a crisp bevel that allows the greatest amount of glue area. 

Thank you all for some great ideas. I think this is just another task that takes time and practice to develop with sharp hand tools.

40 minutes ago, JohnLea said:

I bought this thing a while back.  Like most of my tools it has been rarely used if at all.

Seems to me that the blade could be replaced with a straight one.

image.thumb.png.0e1a7a5bbd15be2f18a07a817f78df55.png

I considered something similar but thought it would limit me to 45 degree bevels. Seem like I rarely get a 90 or 45 when building my models. But vertais does make a very nice 45 bevel attachment for their plane. Tempting!

I have1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 chisels along with the dogleg ones from Stumac. I think I will stick with those for now and hopefully improve with practice.

Although a micro plane is definitely in my future. Christmas isn't far off and maybe Santa will be good to me.

When it comes to eye hand coordination I have always been at or near the bottom of the pack and neuropathy hasn’t improved things.  However.  Like many modelers, for miniature woodworking, I own a 1/8in and 1/16in chisel.  I seldom use them.  I find that a chisel with a wide blade is easier for me to control.  IF I was to cut a chamfer I would reach for my trusty Stanley yellow handle 3/8in chisel.  The wide blade is easier to roll as necessary and it is far less likely to wind up where I don’t want it to be.  Of course, keep the chisel sharp and if possible try to cut with the grain.

Roger