Hello!

TJM

Hi everyone,

I am a new member but I have been lurking for a while, getting inspired by all the amazing builds on this site!

While I have very limited experience with model ship building, having only completed Artesania Latinas New England Whaling Boat kit as a kind of trial (it went ok), I have been assembling and painting miniatures for over 20 years and have other craft hobbies like bookbinding, so I am not totally new to alot of the techniques I see used in all the fine build logs on this forum! And this is exactly what got ne interested; I love the finished look af a sailing ship - they are just very aesthetic to me - and I am really intrigued by the construction process. I know next to nothing about actual sailing ships, but I guess that will come in time!

Having seen the amazing kis from Vanguard Models, I decided to start with HMS Flirt. I will be opening a build log for this soon! As I have a full time job, two small kids and other hobbies, progress is likely to be slow at times and come in 'sprints', but that is how it has to be for now 😉 .

Cheers from Denmark, and I'll see you around the forum!

TJM

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, TJM said:

...I decided to start with HMS Flirt. I will be opening a build log for this soon! As I have a full time job, two small kids and other hobbies, progress is likely to be slow at times and come in 'sprints', but that is how it has to be for now...

Welcome, TJM!  Enjoy the benefits of the MSW community.  And, I've had to remind myself many times... This Model Ship World forum is not a competition of who's best or fastest, but simply an awesome forum to share both our struggles and our successes and learn from one another.  Look forward to seeing your HMS Flirt build log!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome Aboard TJM!  You've landed in the right place for ship modelers.  There is a wealth of information and experience that MSW members freely share.  Please do not worry yourself about the time it takes to build your model.  We modelers are not on a schedule, in a race or have a deadline (except perhaps professional modelers with paying clients).  Enjoy the modeling process however long it takes.  Make sure to post questions along the way.  You are bound to get several responses to any question you ask.

When you are ready, I'm looking forward to following your build log on the HMS Flirt.  Vanguard produces some excellent kits so you made a good choice of manufacturer and subject.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:  Flying Fish restart 

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified gift); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Model Trailways - 1/12 Doctor's Buggy (gift), Guns of History - Napoleon Canon and Limber