Garage and Tools, a tool for photographing model cars by CDW - Fujimi - 1:24 Scale

CDW

I’ve owned the 1:24 scale Garage and Tools kits for a long time but never got around to building them. Realizing I need a better backdrop for photographing my model cars, decided to slap these together and see what I”ve got. 
Right off the bat, it seems two garage kits are needed to make it wide enough to suit me. The kit is designed to attach multiple garage modules and stretch it out. I’ll be ordering another garage and connect the two. 
Here’s how one looks without any tools. Very simple construction. Cardboard wall paper and flooring included in the kit. 
I’ll likely build another garage from scratch. I think I’ll be more satisfied with that. This one leaves me rather cold, but it’s better than nothing.

IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.03e12099edf1f9e8ca1ad6cc6feec43e.jpegIMG_5868.thumb.jpeg.56ba1b50e35e915bb62742bb2b0c036c.jpegIMG_5867.thumb.jpeg.575ed53a9d29042cbb59aa6e9d960b7a.jpegIMG_5869.thumb.jpeg.5e5f656ad95732754d27afae7f88e353.jpeg

5 hours ago, CDW said:

I’ll likely build another garage from scratch. I think I’ll be more satisfied with that. This one leaves me rather cold

It does have a different feel to it doesn't it....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Too sterile. Hopefully adding the tools and shelving will spice it up.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Too sterile. Hopefully adding the tools and shelving will spice it up.

I think it depends on what the goal is. For a diorama, sure, it’s very void of the details that would be found in any typical shop. But for a photo background, I think it works, as there is no extraneous detail to distract from the actual subject. The colour scheme may be a bit stark (the white walls and black floor probably plays havoc with the camera), so perhaps some improvement could be made in that respect, but I wouldn’t go crazy adding details.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Just an idea.

Why don't you make 2 if you're going to scratch build.
One with all the tools for models under construction.
and one as a "showroom" for finished models

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

22 hours ago, Baker said:

Just an idea.

Why don't you make 2 if you're going to scratch build.
One with all the tools for models under construction.
and one as a "showroom" for finished models

Great idea! I bought some materials from Hobby Lobby to scratch build my own. Will plan to scratch one of an actual workshop.

Meanwhile, this will be coming soon to a showroom near you

IMG_5882.jpeg

I used some sheet foam and cut a 12 x 14 inch piece for the floor. Mixed Vallejo pale gray with acrylic gel for texture then gave the floor a “broom finish” with a stiff flat paint brush. I’ll use a similar technique for the walls with dark red mixed in acrylic gel, then use a scratch built tool to strike the mortar lines for the brick treatment.

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

Looks like a good sized backdrop. 

Have you considered perhaps doing one in all black (floor and walls)? I noticed in your previous photos, the colours of your car models looked really vibrant against the black “floor”.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

6 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Looks like a good sized backdrop. 

Have you considered perhaps doing one in all black (floor and walls)? I noticed in your previous photos, the colours of your car models looked really vibrant against the black “floor”.

Andy

A couple of days ago, I ordered some sheets of corrugated plastic. Depending on the color of the model, different background colors seem to have positive or negative impact on the photo quality that are obvious. I am going to experiment with the plastic panels to see what might make the best all-around color for any model being photographed. 

Keep in mind, the colors you see on what I've done so far are only a starting point. It takes a while for that gel medium to cure so I must wait to take this project further.

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. Keep the ideas coming.

Here’s what I’m attempting…

drawing scale brick mortar lines with a white gel pen. Then, painting a light gray color around the brick simulation to give an appearance of plaster that’s chipped away and fallen off over time, exposing the red brick. I intend to draw in the brick in various places and odd intervals then expose those areas in the same way. 

IMG_5890.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_5893.jpeg

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

Rent is cheap ‘cause the place needs a little work.

Work ???  That’s the cleanest shiney warehouse floor I've ever encountered. 😉