If you build multiple models and keep them, space to display them can become an issue. Obviously, the length of the actual vessel and the desired scale determine the actual size of the model, so ultimately one has to consider available display space when making their choice of kit. BlueJacket's kits range in length from about 2” (N scale lobster boat) to about 60” (1/96 scale WYOMING); most fall within the 18”-36” range. So, as part of the new kit survey, I'm asking what folks consider a reasonable length range for their models so that they can be comfortably displayed in their home. These parameters will help us determine which subjects and at what scale will best meet our customers' preferences.

As before, please send your thoughts to al@bluejacketinc.com or post them here. Thanks.

Length is not the only issue.  I could probably display a 36 inch model of a modern day destroyer but not a 36 inch model of a British ship of the line.  The mast height would be a killer.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

21 minutes ago, rcmdrvr said:

Length is not the only issue.  I could probably display a 36 inch model of a modern day destroyer but not a 36 inch model of a British ship of the line.  The mast height would be a killer.

agreed… additionally as I tend to chose less tall ships I personally am headed to more miniature scale ships. I am currently working on a vintage Red Jacket and am using the Bluejacket plans at 1/2 scale. The smaller scale tall ships meet my shelf requirements. 

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

1 hour ago, alross2 said:

I'm asking what folks consider a reasonable length range for their models so that they can be comfortably displayed in their home.

My wife might respond by saying that 0" of ship is the appropriate length for our home. That said, I prefer projects that tend to the smaller side of things, and that makes small-ish subjects attractive, because they can be built at larger scales and therefore be more detailed. Now with that said, I might just have to create whatever space is required if you were to develop a CA Thayer kit!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

One reason to advocate for models under 2' long is that they'll fit through standard 30" doorways without having to turn sideways, even allowing for a case. Any bigger than that and they get more awkward to move around. That also "feels" right for something that won't dominate any space it's put it.

I agree with Cathead, a 2 foot model is good size for most homes.  Smaller models are also a good thing as they can be displayed in otherwise unused spaces like bookshelves and hall tables.  My choice would be models between 9" and 2'.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I began building PoF ships when I was stationed in Italy at the end of the 1970s.  At the time, there existed a company called Aeropiccola that had a range of smaller ship models called "Super Mec.  I have built two of them early in my modeling experience, HMS Victory and HMS Prince. They were of 1/144 to 1/180 scale. Although they were basic, they were of a perfect size for most homes. The builder was also free to add detailing as he or she wanted.  I wish that we could have more ships in these small scales.

Bill

Most of my really good models are in the 3’ to 4’ range, but my ships are the centerpieces of my decor.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Agree with the 2 footers being the largest practical size for a model that does not become a piece of furniture when cased, at least for sailing ships.

As far as specific ships I think the cutter Bear or the west coast schooners Wawona or Thayer  would be great. As far as USN subjects the armored cruisers of the Tennessee class (4 ships) were stunning in their as built white rig, plus each was first named for a state and later renamed after a city so that might increase their marketability/appeal.

Edited by schooner

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Bluejacket once had several very interesting solid hull ship model kits.  I currently have their old Half Moon and their Continental Navy Ship Cabot.  I would love to have their Flying Cloud. I wish that Bluejacket would manufacture them again.

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison