Hello from Perth, Ontario - On to Victory!

Hello Everyone,

While I’m new to MSW I am not new to model ship building. In my earlier life, I built two period sailing ships: Heller 1/200 L'indomptable and the Revell 1/96 Elizabethan Man ‘O War. Sadly, these did not survive the decades since I built them. My current project is the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory. While I say ‘current’ my story is similar to that of others in this forum. I bought my kit around about 1984 but a busy career and family life meant the project became an on-again off-again proposition. Clearly, more off than on. I am now retired and motivated to push this project to completion. I have poured through the building logs of several of the MSW members and am mind blown - while also a tad bit intimidated -  by the quality of the builds and the amount of knowledge out there. I will need help. And lots of it. Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Malcolm

7F6B1337-DFD2-43EB-8036-AC2BE868B644.jpeg

:sign:

Good luck on your journey  !!  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard! The Heller 1/100th scale Victory has been a popular kit over the years and is still held in high regard despite its age. Best of luck on your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

24 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Malcolm: I am originally from Ottawa and still have a family cottage at Pike Lake... just near Stanleyville.. miss that country alot. Enjoy the view out your window for me and welcome to MSW!

Mike Draper

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike! Me too from Ottawa - I grew up in the Glebe. My wife and I retired here on Long Lake (Tay Valley) in 2018 on what was my family lakefront property. We go to the Stanleyville dump at least once per week. Let me know if/when you’re at your cottage and please stop by for a refreshment. Here’s that view out our window 😊

E17CCB12-3DEA-47CE-BC47-687BB41F4D5E.thumb.jpeg.71fe01ca11add6966031ed6c9df84f0d.jpeg

4 hours ago, Malcolm Brown said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike! Me too from Ottawa - I grew up in the Glebe. My wife and I retired here on Long Lake (Tay Valley) in 2018 on what was my family lakefront property. We go to the Stanleyville dump at least once per week. Let me know if/when you’re at your cottage and please stop by for a refreshment. Here’s that view out our window 😊

E17CCB12-3DEA-47CE-BC47-687BB41F4D5E.thumb.jpeg.71fe01ca11add6966031ed6c9df84f0d.jpeg

Malcolm: I will definitely will take you up on your offer. I plan to be down there in July so can connect then. Thanks for the pic. The view brings back great memories of the Ottawa valley

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, WestPort said:

Welcome Malcolm.   I didn't realize there were others so close by that are also interested in this hobby.  I live just outside Westport on Upper Rideau Lake.  

That’s awesome! We’re on Long Lake (there’s a Long Lake closer to you in Frontenac County but we’re in Tay Valley). We go to Westport frequently - more so in the warmer months. Maybe we can connect some time.

10 hours ago, Malcolm Brown said:

That’s awesome! We’re on Long Lake (there’s a Long Lake closer to you in Frontenac County but we’re in Tay Valley). We go to Westport frequently - more so in the warmer months. Maybe we can connect some time.

Definitely should connect at some point.  We are in Perth often as well. 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:50 PM, Kusawa2000 said:

Malcolm: I am originally from Ottawa and still have a family cottage at Pike Lake... just near Stanleyville.. miss that country alot. Enjoy the view out your window for me and welcome to MSW!

Mike Draper

Mike, I can't believe this; first you help us get plans for "SS Klondike" from the Parks Canada office in the same Whitehorse building where you work, now you tell us you still have a cottage on Pike Lake. Our cottage is also on Pike near Stanleyville! We go in past the playground and cemetery and keep to the left at every intersection to reach our cottage which is just opposite the largest of the group of three islands, on which people used to camp. Our kids called it "Beaver Island" because there was an active beaver lodge on it when we bought the place, only to watch all the big old birch trees on the island be chewed down one by one. What a small world.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:47 PM, WestPort said:

Welcome Malcolm.   I didn't realize there were others so close by that are also interested in this hobby.  I live just outside Westport on Upper Rideau Lake.  

Westport, we have a cottage on Pike Lake near Stanleyville and I often cycle a loop along #10 to Westport then back through Newboro to cross at Narrows Lock and hence back to Stanleyville. The three of us should get together this summer for  :cheers:

Cheers,

Ian

6 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Westport, we have a cottage on Pike Lake near Stanleyville and I often cycle a loop along #10 to Westport then back through Newboro to cross at Narrows Lock and hence back to Stanleyville. The three of us should get together this summer for  :cheers:

Cheers,

Ian

We definitely should do that.  

11 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Mike, I can't believe this; first you help us get plans for "SS Klondike" from the Parks Canada office in the same Whitehorse building where you work, now you tell us you still have a cottage on Pike Lake. Our cottage is also on Pike near Stanleyville! We go in past the playground and cemetery and keep to the left at every intersection to reach our cottage which is just opposite the largest of the group of three islands, on which people used to camp. Our kids called it "Beaver Island" because there was an active beaver lodge on it when we bought the place, only to watch all the big old birch trees on the island be chewed down one by one. What a small world.

Ian: My sister and I have a cottage at one of the two bays at the Perth end of the lake.. my mom and dad bought it in the late 1960s and have it ever since. While I havent bought my plane ticket I will probably be in Ottawa from July 4th to around the 19th..the first week I will be at the bluesfest but after that I will probably up at the cottage.. I will let you kids know when I have my dates.... i think that would be a blast! 

MIKE 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

27 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Ian: My sister and I have a cottage at one of the two bays at the Perth end of the lake.. my mom and dad bought it in the late 1960s and have it ever since. While I havent bought my plane ticket I will probably be in Ottawa from July 4th to around the 19th..the first week I will be at the bluesfest but after that I will probably up at the cottage.. I will let you kids know when I have my dates.... i think that would be a blast! 

MIKE 

The two bays .... five minutes by canoe from our place. Look forward to it!

21 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Cheers,

Ian

I’m in!!  I do the exact same loop coming from our home that is off of Elm Grove Road. Elm Grove turns into Lally Road (Rte 21) just after Murphy’s Point PP. The Narrows Lock Road is a blast to drive. Especially in my convertible😁 Did I mention I have a pub in my basement? 😁

On 2/23/2024 at 5:19 PM, William-Victory said:

Hey Malcom. Sorry I didn’t visit earlier. 
im exited to see what you are doing and current progress. 

Thanks, and I’m excited to be following your progress as well since we seem to be at about the same stage. I have been spending a lot of time lately just researching. As great as Longridge is, it’s a heavy read and I’m a visual person, i.e., I need pictures! 😁

8 minutes ago, Malcolm Brown said:

I’m in!!  I do the exact same loop coming from our home that is off of Elm Grove Road. Elm Grove turns into Lally Road (Rte 21) just after Murphy’s Point PP. The Narrows Lock Road is a blast to drive. Especially in my convertible😁 Did I mention I have a pub in my basement? 😁

A pub in your basement - sounds like we have a location 😁.  I'm in.  

17 minutes ago, Malcolm Brown said:

Watch out for cyclists - it could be me. 😏

It is a nice road especially nearer the Narrows end. Remember when it was mostly unpaved from Stanleyville to the Narrows? I remember once coming across a couple whose car had slid into the very sandy ditch at the side. Hopeless - call a tow truck. Geez that was a long time ago.

14 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

The two bays .... five minutes by canoe from our place. Look forward to it!

we will definitely have to connect. I will let you know what my schedule is once I bought my plane ticket and got plans figured out.. this is seriously cool

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

2 hours ago, Malcolm Brown said:

Dual taps, comfortable seating, excellent service and fully Nelson-ified

Your clock needs to be permanently stopped at 5 o'clock. :)

4 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Your clock needs to be permanently stopped at 5 o'clock. :)

LOL, you got me on a technicality, why 5 o’clock - Nelson’s ‘TOD’? (been watching too much Chicago Med lately). Btw, that clock is an old Waltham that was pulled out of a 1936 Cadillac during the Great Depression years when cars were expendable. It belonged to a friend of my parents whose father owned the Cadi. The windup stem would have projected below the dashboard. Sadly, the main spring is gone but that means it can be stuck at any time I deem appropriate 😁