Salmson 2 A.2 by ccoyle - FINISHED - WAK - 1/33 - CARD - in markings of aircraft flown by Capt. Arthur J. Coyle, 1st Squadron, US Air Service, Autumn 1918

49 minutes ago, Jsk said:

That wing root cutout seems to be a rather obvious flaw.

I can't say. Just because I can't figure it out doesn't mean that the designer didn't have a plan -- he just didn't communicate the plan very well!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

I know I said that this project would go on hold once the Speeljacht had arrived, but this one is in such an advanced state that it would be a shame not to finish it off. So, I have pretty much decided to forge ahead with it. Moving along to the upper wing, I had just enough time last night to throw together the internal framing and cut out the wing skins. I will have more to say on the underwhelming internal structure in my next post.

image.thumb.jpeg.fea2f06a7c676a8292b84a645d6d1ac0.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking great as per your usual high build quality Chris.  I've always liked the looks of this plane.  Looking forward to the end result!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

So, last night I got the skins edge-colored and started work on beefing up the internal frames, starting on the center section. There are multiple issues here. First, the instructions and diagrams provide virtually no guidance on where the innermost ribs are supposed to go. Second, the wing is supposed to have a slight dihedral, as suggested by the shape of the spars, but the diagrams do not include a three view (which is a criminal oversight, IMO), and the frames do not include any kind of obvious parts for making sure the proper dihedral gets locked in. That means there is some guesswork involved here. I added the innermost pair of ribs at the joints between the left and right spars, glued the two wing halves together, liberally saturated the area with thin CA, and then left the whole thing to cure overnight while sitting in a crude jig. Will that sufficiently stabilize the center section? That remains to be seen.

image.jpeg.7579fad85bd3f3a5f49786a77ebc9b98.jpeg

In hindsight, I now suspect that the 'inner' ribs are supposed to be located at the outboard ends of the center section, forming a central 'slice' of wing that would butt join the outer wing panels by inserting the thinner bits of spar into slots in the center-section ribs (it would've been super nice if, ya know, this had been shown somewhere like maybe, I dunno -- IN THE DIAGRAMS??). This is just so unlike any construction method I have previously used that it didn't register in my brain -- at all. One upshot of this is that the beefy pseudo-rib I have created in the middle of the wing has too much material in it --  the center skin will not fit properly, so material will have to be removed from the internal framing. Sigh. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Quite possibly the worst rigging diagram I have ever had to work with. Note that one end or the other end, sometimes both ends, of each line is not shown. And this is pretty much the only rigging diagram in the kit.

image.jpeg.da9943719b26e760affa7543089fd440.jpeg

In photos, most of the bracing wires appear to be doubled. In some instances it looks like the pairs were wrapped in some kind of material. The upshot is that the cables look thicker. I will duplicate this effect by using wire for the rigging instead of EZ-Line. That means the technique will be a little different.

Here's the forest of struts mounted to the lower wing.

image.jpeg.8381b5a2372ff795ffa21946aae1fd8b.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Does this help any

Yes, actually!

BTW, you probably already know this, but Tom Grigat built that very kit in one of his Modeling in Motion videos.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Yes, actually!

BTW, you probably already know this, but Tom Grigat built that very kit in one of his Modeling in Motion videos.

Yeah I did, a beautiful job as well...

The WnW instruction for this are the best... (glad that Mike got to it before I did)

All I can offer is the link to the WnW page for the kit, yes it is still up and functioning, there is even more info on this airplane there... (2 versions)

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3085 French version

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3106 (USAS version, take a look at the rigging update page for the US version)

She is looking very nice brother...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The upper wing is now mounted. It wasn't as troublesome as I feared it might be to get all eight struts in place.

image.jpeg.4297e11847ce8355ac033407d253f3a6.jpeg

The model is now sufficiently far enough along to execute recon missions over the dog while making airplane noises. What? Are you telling me you don't make airplane noises?

image.jpeg.b993f1fc103a1426d8970529e9cf2f84.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

13 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

What? Are you telling me you don't make airplane noises?

No because I don't wanna give my wife any more excuses than necessary to have me committed to the senile community center. 

1 minute ago, Keith Black said:

No because I don't wanna give my wife any more excuses than necessary to have me committed to the senile community center. 

But I bet you make them in your head, right?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

23 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

But I bet you make them in your head, right?

If I say yes I'm gonna have to burn my computer. 

I had to take a refresher course on all the rigging/bracing terminology for biplanes. So for those who are interested, here's a quick lesson:

• cabane struts: the struts between the fuselage and upper wing
  • interplane struts: the struts between the upper and lower wings
  • bay: the rectangular space bounded by two sets of struts and the upper and lower wings
  • torsion wires: the wires that brace the rectangles formed by the cabane struts, upper wing, and fuselage
  • landing wires: the wires that run outward and down from the upper wing to the lower wing in between struts
  • flying wires: the wires that run outward and up from the lower wing to the upper wing between struts; together, flying wires and landing wires brace a bay
  • incidence wires: the wires that brace the rectangle formed by a pair of parallel struts and the upper and lower wings.

The S2 is a double bay aircraft, having four pairs of interplane struts and four cabane struts. The model will have 12 torsion wires, 8 incidence wires, 8 flying wires, and 8 landing wires, for a grand total (so far) of 36 wires. That's 36 individual pieces of EZ-Line or wire to attach. I have 23 done so far. Stay tuned . . .

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

12 hours ago, ccoyle said:
  • landing wires: the wires that run outward and down from the upper wing to the lower wing in between struts
  • flying wires: the wires that run outward and up from the lower wing to the upper wing between struts; together, flying wires and landing wires brace a bay

This stuff is so confusing that I inadvertently switched the definitions of these two terms in my last post. And none of you caught it!! 😂  It's fixed now.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 5/30/2024 at 11:27 PM, ccoyle said:

So, while I'm sitting here killing some time, allow me to share one of the Great Criminal Enterprises in the world of card modeling. Shown below is a screen capture of my shopping cart from an actual publisher/vendor in Poland, who shall go nameless.

image.png.eede38fb895f4e3a2b8bc43ab617bb88.png

Pay special attention to the shipping charge. How many models do you think are in my shopping cart?

Two.

Yes, that is the shipping cost to get two kits (plus frames, wheels, and canopies) shipped from Poland. Which is a shame, because I'm really quite interested in these two particular models (a Swedish J-20, i.e. Reggiane 2000, and a North American Harvard IIB). But I'm not $72.24 interested. Sadly, these two kits are not available at the sites I usually buy from.

Card models -- it pays to shop.

That's so strange! From the Netherlands I can ship 1kg to the USA for around 20 euro's! Shipping from Poland to the Netherlands is somewhere around 10 euro's. Let me know if I can help you Chris. I also have relatives in the USA who visit the Netherlands 1 or 2 times a year.

Current project: HVM Seefalke! Paper ship model.

Got the wing bracing done. It was not fun! The last couple of pieces decided to be quite a pain in the tuckus. Once you've bent a stretched piece of wire, you can't re-stretch it if it gets bent. I bent the first three attempts at the last wire. Fourth time was a charm. 😑

image.jpeg.22a3fdc2b8c316c73dba883102abe267.jpeg

BTW, I may have placed a small order with Halinski. Now I have to wait for the mail, so I'll keep you waiting along with me. 😁

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, that looks so fantastic and again, it's really hard for me to believe it's paper. Extremely nice work. 

Landing gear on and rigged. Vickers gun assembled and mounted.

image.jpeg.0cda90788ffa0e9a1ce7723f1b4f08d2.jpeg

I had a number of issues with the landing gear, starting with a cryptic assembly diagram that I only figured out after I completed the assembly. That led to a slight difference between the as-designed and finished gear that no one will likely notice. Second, the middle strut on each side is not long enough to reach the fuselage. Third, the finished fuselage/gear joints have some play in them, so the resting model can easily be rocked side-to-side (like a wing waggle); this results in the wings steadfastly refusing to sit level. None of these are issues that I feel like spending extra time trying to fix, so I will once again rely on "judicious camera angles" for the final photo shoot.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 6/15/2024 at 5:55 AM, Marcel1981 said:

Let me know if I can help you Chris.

That's kind of you, Marcel.

My latest order from Halinski, which includes six kits and their accessories, cost me about $42 for shipping -- $30 less than getting just two kits from Answer! I don't know how that is possible, since I assume they both ship via the Polish Post. Answer must simply add on a larger handling 'fee'.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just a quick update. Since the last post, there remained essentially just five assemblies to complete: propeller (since completed), aileron control horns, Lewis gun mount, and a couple of items that I assume are externally-mounted, wind-powered generators. ALL of these assemblies are either poorly documented in the diagrams or else not documented at all, so some educated guesswork and consultation of outside sources will be necessary. This is a pretty disappointing situation for any modeler, obviously, regardless of medium. I will definitely be avoiding kits designed by Mr. Lewan in the future.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Another quick update: I have completed everything mentioned in the last post except the Lewis guns. There will be no more pics until the "Big Reveal" -- sorry!

On a side note, since the plane has two different types of MG armament in two different mountings, it also has two different gun sights. An unimpressive paper vane sight is provided for the Lewis mount, and a template is provided for scratch-building a ring sight for the Vickers gun. I have considered acquiring after-market replacement parts for these (such as the 1/32 scale 3D-printed sets from Eduard), but have so far not been able to find any in stock on this side of the pond. I found some from a European vendor, but the cost was going to be north of 20 euros to get them here -- that's more than the kit itself costs, so that's a no from me. Anybody have any leads for me?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Gaspatch from Greece has shipping to the world for 13E.... They have several variations of both in 1/32 scale...

Vickers US built...  https://www.ebay.com/itm/175473761772

Vane Sights... https://www.ebay.com/itm/276443512739

Lewis Gun... https://www.ebay.com/itm/175473752654

All US based evilbay...

Victory Models out of Ft Meyers FL. has all three in stock.... https://www.victorymodels.com/search?page=2&q=*Gaspatch*guns*&type=product

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"