Blocks: wood, card or 3D resin?

I have been working on the rigging plan for HMS Whiting schooner and now know how many blocks I want of various sizes. The small ones are especially tricky, partly because there are so many of them.  

Block        Need for model

2mm S       3

2.5mm S   48

2.5mm D    7

3mm S      26

3mm D       7

4mm S      10

4mm D     13

5mm S        1

I have already used 2mm walnut blocks from HiS for the gun tackles and they are at the lower limit of what is available. 

The next size up, 2.5mm from HiS, matches the cheaper '2mm single' blocks from Caldercraft and other suppliers. I am happy to use either of these because the imperfections are not visible at normal viewing distances. Whiting (in my rigging plan) also needs seven double blocks of this size. I see four options here. 

1. I could get the blocks from HiS (2.5mm double). Advantages are no assembly or trimming and a known shape and material - walnut. Disadvantage is cost including shipping. 
  2. I could sand down some '2mm single' blocks from Caldercraft and glue them together in pairs to make double blocks. Advantages are the material and size which matches the single blocks. Disadvantage is some careful sanding and gluing. 
  3. Shipyard provide laser cut card layers that the modeller laminates together. Advantages are the shape and finish, although this might not be visible for a 2.5mm block. If it is visible and better then I would want to replace the single blocks I have with card. Disadvantage is that assembly of the layers might be difficult. 
  4. Seahorse offer 3D printed blocks in brown resin that according to them 'do not need painting'. Advantages are no assembly and little trimming. Disadvantages are an unknown material which could look different from wood blocks in which case I would have to replace the single blocks. 

For the many 3mm single and double blocks the Caldercraft parts are probably adequate in isolation though they might show up badly against the alternatives. This is certainly the case for 4mm and 5mm blocks where the HiS parts look like proper blocks while the Caldercraft ones look like roughly shaped pieces of walnut. Should I choose HiS walnut, Shipyard card, or Seahorse 3D printed for 3, 4 and 5mm blocks? 

Has anyone else travelled this way and can offer their experience?

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

The Seahorse 3D-printed ones look really good. The only problem is they are slightly translucent at that size.

Shipyards card blocks are actually pretty decent. They do need a lick of brown paint to look better, and of course, they need to be carefully assembled.  

The HIS new rounded blocks look great. They only make the rounded ones from 3mm and up. If you have the money these might be the best option. If Syren made smaller blocks I would tell you to go all in on their CNC blocks. 

The Caldercraft ones are the typical European blocks that most kits use. They are not great-looking and need sanding, shaping, and re-drilling.

Some day I plan on getting a CNC machine and making blocks to sell, but that is a few years down the road. 

Make the blocks you need.  Although tedious, it is not hard and does not require any fancy tools...just wood, a pinvise/drill and a razor saw.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Posted (edited)

There is an excellent explanation of a common/easy method of making wooden blocks with hand tools as well as their proportional dimensions in The Fully Framed Model  Volume IV pp. 61-63.  For tiny blocks (1.5mm and smaller) McCaffery goes into some detail in his book Ships in Miniature on making punches for making paper blocks.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Here is one of my favorite references for making blocks from Mondfeld.  I had just about got to the point of going forward with this method when Chuck started selling his blocks.

image.png.b330ddab5887d7f2bec9b17066877f3a.png

You can see that taking it down to very small size is possible.

If you have a small table saw, i.e., Proxxon, Byrnes, etc.,  it will really help with the grooves..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Posted (edited)

I use that method and carve the grooves in with a scalpel.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

If you put them in a block/rock tumbler for part 6 it really helps to get a more rounded shape and easier than getting sanding by hand..

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I would go for similar appearance of all blocks. Though on a real ship blocks may have been obtained from different sources over time and as need arose, on a model this may look a bit 'unprofessional'.

While on 'artisanal' style models wooden blocks certainly would be first choice, I think for 'realistic' style models, particularly those in smaller scales, 3d-printing is the future. Such blocks would need to be painted, as the resin is always somewhat translucent.

The minimum size of wooden blocks you can machine on a CNC-mill is limited by the size of drills and milling cutters that are practical. I gather on hobby-machines the limit would be somewhere around 0.5 mm diameter for milling cutters and 0.3 mm for drills - from this you can calculate the mimium size of block you can make. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Can you provide a link for the Seahorse 3D printed blocks? I tried an online search but just came up with models of seahorses!

Tony

Tony,

Seahorse has some really nice stuff.

Here’s their 3D printed stuff, to include the blocks.

https://seahorse.pl/en/14--3d-printed

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Tony and GrandpaPhil,

Here is another link for Seahorse 3D printed blocks. It's a model shop in Poland though I have not used it yet. 

https://modelnet.co.uk/collections/marine-fittings-1 . There is a filter option for '3D' which selects the Seahorse parts. You can also find them on Ebay if you search for 'seahorse block 3D'. 

Wefalck,

I agree entirely that the blocks should have a family resemblance and mixing the cheap, kit blocks with the finer examples is visually distracting. This is more obvious for the larger blocks where the shapes are easier to see at normal viewing distances but less of an issue for a 2mm block which is a 'blob' unless you get really close. What I don't know is whether blocks from HiS, Shipyard or Seahorse look OK next to each other. I might just have to buy some of each and see which I prefer. 

George

George Bandurek

Posted (edited)

Pricing at that ModelNet site looks very competitive….

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I have placed an order with Modelnet for 2mm, 3mm and 4mm blocks. As Gregory says, their pricing is competitive and their shipping charges are also very reasonable. Once I have them I will try some macro photography to compare them with HiS blocks that I have. 

George

George Bandurek