I’ve looked at many videos and read many docs but I’m still a little lost. 

(Building the HMS Brig Badger)

the instructions say don’t taper plank 1, but taper the rest at the bow. It also says don’t bent or force the planks, just let them lie to assess the taper - but my issue is a straight plank is really hard to figure out the taper needed, pre-bending the plank makes it much easier to assess if tapering is needed, but it’s still a bit of a swag. 

Would it be better (as per some of the videos here) to pre-measure and mark a set taper amount for all the planks rather than try and guess by trying to bend planks to see what taper is needed? I feel like a standard amount of taper for every plank might give a more consistent result.  

Thoughts and advice 

image.jpg

image.jpg

You really do need to taper your planks, in most situations, to produce a first-rate build. It's not that difficult. Below is part one of Chuck Passaro's four-part series of planking hulls, found on his YouTube channel. Watch all four parts and then enjoy planking your model!  

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

I watched the video and tried to follow it but that did not go well at all 😬. Chucks advice on bending a curve into the plank did work really well in helping the planks lay flat on the bulkhead, but I was not bold enough on how tapered the planks should be. I get the process with the tick marks on the bulkheads, but what should the taper width be at the right up at the stem? I kind of guessed with half a plank width as but I don’t think that was enough. 

luckily I have a 2nd planking so I can try and do better 2nd time around and hide this mess. 

I have learned a lot doing this, and sometimes you just have to have a go and learn… 

image.jpg

A good start might be to read about setting up the garboard.

The half hull planking project is a good reference for establishing the garboard and planking in general.

image.jpeg.b7381479ddd185f451152b7f850b4aae.jpeg

I borrowed this image from the Half Hull Project.  The blue area is the garboard.  The red tick marks show the width and number of planks at a mid-ship bulkhead.  In this case there are ten.  Which may or may not be the actual number of planks.  I am just trying to illustrate. 

You then have to measure the distance indicated by the green line.  This is the space available for the same ten planks at the bow/stem.

Lets say that the planks are 4mm wide, so the  area at the red tick marks would be 40mm.  Lets say the green line measures 30mm.   Divide 30 by 10 and you have 3mm.

So, your planks need to taper from 4mm at mid ship to 3mm at the bow.

Chances are you won't have the same  easy measurements, but I hope the illustration helps.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon