Nathaniel Fiennes - English Civil War by king derelict - Art Girona - 54 mm

I opened the box while I was waiting for some glue to set on the Argosy and somehow I started to fiddle with the bits - and here we are off again.

RIMG0292.thumb.JPG.2b19e6bc8a42bceee9045e4460c2f3c6.JPG

I'm trying a few ideas to see if I can make life easier. The weight of the parts makes it hard to get the components to adhere even if you leave the glue to almost set. If I paint the components separately and I'm gluing up the painted parts its really easy to spoil the paintwork; especially with epoxy glue. so I have drilled the neck and hands and added 0.5 mm brass rod which has been epoxied into place in one half of the joint and the fit and position checked satisfactorily for later.

RIMG0316.thumb.JPG.f7cd6fdf60b59e0a6b04265945152018.JPG

RIMG0317.thumb.JPG.0a9bd611f818186922b85beff442f93b.JPG

RIMG0318.thumb.JPG.4e58148a76c9a7525dca7d4f12d9eae9.JPG

A few more cast lines to remove on this one but nothing too bad. A lot more polished metal too and again I would rather polish the kit metal instead of painting it.

Based on a suggestion by @Jack12477 I decided to try a mini engraver / polisher and a few wooden shafted cotton buds.

RIMG0359.thumb.JPG.ad601807d34918ffb26abd6e6ccdb463.JPG

With jewellers rouge they made quick work of it and got into the corners well.

RIMG0360.thumb.JPG.4c701c3c478d9b7a75e8f4e506629516.JPG

Everything not polished then got a coat of Mr Metal primer hand painted on The polished parts of the body were masked and a coat of Mig One Shot black primer was air brushed on

RIMG0363.thumb.JPG.d87ce424375cee18053ab5706598640f.JPG

RIMG0368.thumb.JPG.3c77720be336506337f5e75afba856b5.JPGRIMG0369.thumb.JPG.02c08f76192c35daafc60b29cbb45f00.JPG

Next will be the directional white primer to provide a base for the glazes.

Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoy another metal figure. 

Alan

• The title was changed to Nathaniel Fiennes - English Civil War by king derelict - Art Girona - 54 mm

These are such excellent  sculpts  Alan   -  lovely work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow Alan, what a great start!  I love the way you painted the clothing - looks like it has fabric texture.  Nicely done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 9/4/2024 at 10:11 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow Alan, what a great start!  I love the way you painted the clothing - looks like it has fabric texture.  Nicely done!

Thank you very much Mike. The excellent sculpting by Art Girona helps a lot along with the glazing technique demonstrated by the Nightshift YouTube. The sculpts have excellent folds in clothing and the glazing really brings it out.

Alan

A bit of info  about this  gentlman  mate  -  here  is  one of the battles  he took part in  fighting against the Royalists,  its  amazing  my gran used  to have a  cottage  in a village  not so far  from  the location of this battle, and  infact  the  Royalists  where  camped up  in her  village  and  there  used to  be  some  writting scibed into  one of the  cottage beams  off one of the  soldiers.

OC.

https://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/civil-war/battleview.asp?BattleFieldId=35

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:28 PM, Old Collingwood said:

A bit of info  about this  gentlman  mate  -  here  is  one of the battles  he took part in  fighting against the Royalists,  its  amazing  my gran used  to have a  cottage  in a village  not so far  from  the location of this battle, and  infact  the  Royalists  where  camped up  in her  village  and  there  used to  be  some  writting scibed into  one of the  cottage beams  off one of the  soldiers.

OC.

https://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/civil-war/battleview.asp?BattleFieldId=35

Thank you OC. Its interesting history. Near where I used to live in Derbyshire there is an old manor house that still has a Civil War cannonball embedded in one of teh outer walls.

Alan

More glazes and detail painting added and we seem to be moving right along here.

RIMG0392.thumb.JPG.1825e42426edaa60b263508593d7507b.JPGRIMG0393.thumb.JPG.ac385ec821d77cf1430578fcdbed4233.JPG

According to the notes the breastplate and helmet rivets and decoration is gilded. I had read somewhere that Tamiya transparent orange acrylic looks like gold when painted over polished metal so I thought I would try that. I really like how it came out, in this instance probably better than opaque gold paint. It is also easier to get the light touch needed for the rivet heads.

RIMG0394.thumb.JPG.06148672c76f178a26d60f7fa5773f7a.JPG

The face is a work in progress. I am trying for lighter skin tones and hair colour and its harder than painting dark hair. For some reasons the moustache is being awkward even though it is well sculpted.

RIMG0395.thumb.JPG.51e1bead00377be4f1717910812533ba.JPG

The traditional cat hair seems to have arrived too. The beard is definitely going to get reworked.

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

Excellent work  Alan, that  breast plate has  come up a treat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:41 AM, CDW said:

I’ll bet those breast plates were very uncomfortable to wear. Heavy, too. That treatment you applied to the metal looks splendid. What color did you use on the boots for leather? 

Hi Craig

From what I have read Fiennes command a troop of cavalry at the Battle of Edgehill so I'm guessing this figure is representative of that time. He certainly isn't marching far in those boots. It sounds like plate armour was still pretty effective in the 17th century and infantry still wore a breastplate but it must have been a hot and heavy thing to put up with.

The paint is Ammo Acrylic F-552 Red Leather. It is part of a six colour pack intended for face painting. I use it for the lips mostly but it was perfect for those boots.
Alan

On 9/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work  Alan, that  breast plate has  come up a treat.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. I'm starting to get an itch to do a figure in full armour. I will have to look back at the Art Girona catalogue

Alan

Suddenly I seem to have reached the end of the Nate build. Taking the time to pin the head, arm and sword scabbard made all the difference. No more trying to hold everything in place and then watching it slowly fall out of place leaving a trail of half cured epoxy behind. This time things popped into place and stayed.

I've added the spurs, and scabbard. The face piece for the helmet was a bad fit and needed a lot of filing to get it to slot into place the nose guard and helmet piece are very delicate but they stayed intact.

The base was gussied up with Woodland Scenics grass and foliage. If he is supposed to be at Edgehill that was in October so the grass is starting to die and lose its green.

RIMG0408.thumb.JPG.d1618ee724d89250e494e0380844ee17.JPG

RIMG0409.thumb.JPG.0645cb8cd1f54d0d1f4e03bd081b00c9.JPG

RIMG0411.thumb.JPG.8a0bd1a8f4ef5592c1dcc6818b477e60.JPG

RIMG0412.thumb.JPG.92d9a259f10a7c30ed310d913c55cef9.JPG

RIMG0413.thumb.JPG.9cfaa23d0e1345945a598427ba8207c2.JPG

RIMG0414.thumb.JPG.4d134c2a429155480b827ed588cfcee8.JPG

RIMG0416.thumb.JPG.bbe0077cee01ef97d7446a041adf53a2.JPG

RIMG0420.thumb.JPG.2dd949204c095a8b5c663a079fd28b4e.JPG

I reworked the hair with Vallejo Cork Brown and didn't like the uniform colour so I dry brushed it with Yellow Ochre and I think its better. I think I have read that blonde hair is even worse to paint.

I still have a few more A-G figures on the shelf and the interest is still strong so I think I will try another one to distract me from the Argosy when it gets annoying.

Thanks for looking in, for the likes and the helpful comments.

Alan

Excellent work Alan   -  he  so  looks the  part  ready  to  take part in the  action.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work Alan   -  he  so  looks the  part  ready  to  take part in the  action.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. I gather he survived Edgehill and the round ups after the Restoration eventually died peacefully in old age.

alan

13 hours ago, CDW said:

That’s just beautiful. It’s my favorite of all you have done thus far. What a nice collection you’re building.

Thank you kindly Craig. I think it’s helpful for developing better paint brush skills although you wouldn’t guess looking at the argosy prop tips. It’s a nice distraction from heavy going in another kit and they don’t take up much space.

i just ordered a couple more for the shelf 

alan

56 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you very much OC. I gather he survived Edgehill and the round ups after the Restoration eventually died peacefully in old age.

alan

Yep  I think so,   Edgehill    was  really close to  my  grans  cottage  just a   few  miles,  even closer  than the  other  battle  I  mentioned  above,  love  all  stuff  ECW.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well, now you've done it! Inspired me to take a diversion from ship building and finish up a few figures. Athene awaits.

6 minutes ago, Jsk said:

Well, now you've done it! Inspired me to take a diversion from ship building and finish up a few figures. Athene awaits.

Its a terrible thing. I just wanted to paint Nabopolassar as a gift for a friend and now I've got half of Vallejos paint range and more brushes that I know what to do with along with yet another from Art Girona on the way.

Its all worth it for the inner tranquility that it brings

Alan

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Yep  I think so,   Edgehill    was  really close to  my  grans  cottage  just a   few  miles,  even closer  than the  other  battle  I  mentioned  above,  love  all  stuff  ECW.

OC.

Good stuff OC. Interesting times certainly

Alan

Really nice job Alan!  I agree with CDW, you've got a nice collection now.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)