US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Your Syren really is coming along very nicely! Your rigging is just superb! But I am glad to hear that somebody else also has to do some other stuff but ship modeling. I was already under the impression that I was the only one getting distracted by such "ordinary tasks" like yard work, home projects, earning a living, family, . . . (-:

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks Frank.  Time for you to be thinking of the next build????

And thanks to Dan, Grant and Patrick for stopping by.  Patrick-  posted a question over on your great Niagara log on YOUR next build.

Hey Thomas ---- everyone has other stuff going on.  And it doesn't get any better when you retire.  In fact, I often wonder how I ever had the time to work :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D .  Your 'golden years' will come.  Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be in a hurry. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I got around to answering that question with MS's Constitution. Have we touched base yet on what you are putting together next? You are just as close to the finish line.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I have only one ship in mind at the moment...........but I need to reduce the  'clutter'   I'm getting the F-15 out of the way at the moment,  and then the last few things for the Lobsie twins.   I have the sails for the AmericA on my desk,  waiting for the reef lines.   once these are done.....I'll be on the Goth!

I dunno........I'm looking forward towards retirement......you think i have a bunch of builds now...........;)  LOL!

I thought you were on the lookout for a Supply kit?  I thought that I saw Mamoli has one.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm weighing the possibilities Popeye.  No, not Supply.  Need to get further down the road on Syren first and I'm waiting to see what the ME Essex finally looks like.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Confed is 'on the list'.  All depends on size of fully rigged Essex (long story).  Besdes, there are too many nice Confederacy's already and yours will be still another.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey Augie, at least Confederacy is in the same scale as your Syren. I'd like to see a rigging plan with her though. I don't think I'm inventive enough to come up with it on my own.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I think Chuck intends to do a rigging plan at some point.  But he has a lot on his plate.  His Winchelsea is going to be spectacular.  Only time will tell.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yes, Confed is a beauty and I appreciate all those who have spoken out in support of her.  She's still in the running, especially now that Sjors has made his long awaited, world-wide announcement that he is going to build Agammemnon.  He's going to have more guns than the entire US Navy (albeit they will fire only cotton balls).  I wonder if he will mount it on top of his existing double decker Le Mirage/San Ildefonso ?

No decisions until the anchor cables go on Syren.  I'm having all I can handle right now making yards.....seemingly yards of them!  There's smoke coming out of my drill and I have more blisters on my fingers from hanging on then Mark Taylor has from typing 1000+ posts :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, one thing I found to help with the finger burn is sandpaper belts that would normally go on a belt sander. It is much stiffer because of the thickness of the material, but this helps keep your fingers stay cooler and takes more material off quicker.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks Patrick.  But I depend on the burning sensation to alert me to when I've already ruined the piece.  No sense wasting time making it even worse :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that burns various fingers with sandpaper. I though I was doing something wrong.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

:D  :D  :D .  No, you're not doing anything wrong.  A lot of folks recommend wearing gloves.  That just helps me break the dowels.  There was a reason for me not to become a surgeon !!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

It can be take a while before I start on the Aggy….

I'm now in negotiation with a metal shop who want to make canon balls for me….

And there is gonna be a lot of them!

Just what I was saying…the Confed is a very nice build for you!

So be a man and repeat me…….I'm gonna build the Confed!

Be a brave guy and just do it!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif 

Between you and Andy it sounds like size is all that matters !  Patience my friend.

The shipyard is closed for 2 days as I need to carry out some bombing missions over the Colorado skies.  This multi-tasking is getting tough.......not to mention that the trout are beginning to stir.  My next project is not yet a dot on the horizon.

Oh, recommend you check the foundry for your canonballs ....unless you're having them machined.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Between you and Andy it sounds like size is all that matters !  Patience my friend.

Oh, recommend you check the foundry for your canonballs ....unless you're having them machined.

We may be encouraging you to go big for different reasons... I think he wants you to go big because he can't hit small targets... :P

And I think making canonballs may be a violation under the "Anja" convention.... :D

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

This multi-tasking is getting tough.......not to mention that the trout are beginning to stir.  My next project is not yet a dot on the horizon.

Augie, I hear you loud and clear on the trout. Fishing season for me is just around the corner!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Andy,

I can even hit a fly between the eye's…..

Patrick,

I'm gonna take my rods and coming your way.

Then those 2 nice guys can talk to each other about me…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hmmm...Sjors building the largest decked sailing warship ever - Aggy as the base, then Le Mirage & the SI on top - not sure about the sailing stability, but would sure be interesting to see!

Fly fishing from the Niagara sounds interesting as well - almost makes me want to learn fly fishing!

Your Syren is looking awesome, Augie - enjoy the flights!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Okay...save some fish for me. Preferably trout. :)

As for your next build Augie...I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be terrific like your Syren!

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Thanks Wayne and Sherry.  Today's flights were aborted due to a nasty Chinook wind from the West.

Fly fishing from Niagara.  Interesting.  But now we hear Sjors can hit a fly with a cottonball.  OK, let's all meet at Patricks and fly fish for trout off Niagara!  Sherry can eat the daily catch.  (Didn't know there were trout in Ohio...... they must have gotten washed down from here in the runoff).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

dont invite me to go fly fishing with you, i get cold walking 10 feet from the front door to the garage,, lol i will go to ASDA to get my salmon, oh and by the way, no wain today or snow, just a wind that goes straight through you, or maybe its just me, my body is getting used to loosing weight as part of my new years resolution 19 kg so far

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin-  congrats on the weight loss and (as always) on your beautiful HMS Victory.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

We have some beautiful rainbow trout here in the Buckeye state. I prefer to fish for bass (all types), crappie, saugeye, muskie, and catfish. All of the above are delicious if prepared fresh. As far as entertaining a fishing party, I'm all in! At the end of April in fact I will be camping for three nights and will be doing nothing else but fishing and drinking beer; that's my taste of heaven.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I don't remember the last time i did something like that.   as a young lad......I lived for fishing.   used a drop line until my teen years...my uncle gave me my first pole......six footer with an open face reel.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Augie,

Very nice work on the running rigging mate, she's really coming along :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo