Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

well gee.......thanks Borge!  quoting with pictures involved looks rather odd though.......so, let's recap.

thanks for looking in and the good word!  ;)

so, it began with this box of parts called the Maine lobster boat.

post-612-0-23608900-1365023119_thumb.jpg

then after the major goof,  and the subsequent build of the Denny-Zen........we arrived with this.

post-612-0-45652000-1365023182_thumb.jpg

now that I've gone as far as I can with the Denny-Zen,  without involving the Phylly C,  they were both brought together again, for another comparison check.

post-612-0-68522500-1365023270_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-69463300-1365023285_thumb.jpg

so, now it's time to add the bit of bling that the Phylly C is supposed to have.  it begins with a flag staff

post-612-0-66586700-1365023417_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86741400-1365023429_thumb.jpg

it's not much.........today is the admiral's birthday.   I built her a model birthday cake.   it came out very good......and with a scoop of fudge ripple ice cream along side,  made for a rather tasty repast!

of course I just had to sing her the three stooges birthday song :)

I did some work on making up the monitor screens like I did on the M&M build........but I think I'm running out of color ink.   I'll just have to make do with what I have.....I think I'll be OK.   there's a bit more to come.   I finished one of the builds I wanted to get out of the way........now for the lobsie twins  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popey, I love these builts. Great job

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Great build Popeye, many many years ago, I built the BIG brother, RC version of this wonderful work boat.  After seeing the job you have done brought back those memories...........might try to find another.  Thanks for shairing this.

Rick

Wherever I am at...........there I am

KARTONIST in the making.......... B)

oh no.......nothing like that :)..........it's a cake mix with frosting!    my son Kevin picked out there candles that spelled out  'happy birthday', but she didn't want that.......nor did she want any candles that denoted her age  {she's 50}.   so I told her that I could simply spell out her name with them,  and she was good with that.   after looking at the rest of the candles,  I was able to come up with another word out of the ones that were left over.   {god help me........now I'm putting food on the site too!}

post-612-0-46669800-1365079632_thumb.jpg

we baked you a birthday cake

if you get a tum-my-ache

and you moan and groan in woe

don't forget,  we told you so

rat - tat - toodle......dae  dae.........rat - tat - toodle.......dae dae!

"you know,......fish is great brain food."    "you know,  you should fish for a whale!........com'on  scram!!!"

"if there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup......it's bologna and whipped cream,......and we haven't got any."   {I've tried the bologna and whipped cream....not bad}

anyway.........I thank you all for the kind words........this kit can be fitted for R/C....they do show you how to fit the prop tube in the plans.   perhaps one day I may try to do it.   I hope to have more progress soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great work, Popeye! :cheers:

I live in the town (Bologna) that gave birth to "bologna", as worldwide known; it's an ancient recipe, that dates back to roman empire. But this is the first time I hear you can eat it with whipped cream. I'll try this version and tell you what about my feeling :huh:

Cheers

Alex

p.s its true name is "mortadella" :piratetongueor4:

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

Popeye, you are a true Renaissance man!  Artistic, creative, poetic, and you can cook!  Dang - what a package!!!

Looks like a great cake, boss, and glad you all enjoyed!  please wish Phyl a belated Happy (number not disclosed) Birthday from me & mine!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Popeye,

Happy Birthday to your lady.

The Philly and Zen are looking great.  Almost finished.  I'll miss them. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Popeye,

Birthday wishes to Phyl from Harwich my friend, compared to some of us she's still a baby.

How can two boats be the same and yet look so different, your skill and imagination do you proud Popeye, the sad day of completion draws ever closer.

With 3 builds complete your going to have a lot of time on your hands, what you got planned next ?

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

believe me Alex.........it's a three stooges thing.......I tried it as a youngster........I think my pallette has changed a bit by now....LOL!  there is a difference between bologna and mortadella here in the states  bologna doesn't have what appears to be fat chunks in it,  mortadella does........I like it in a sub / sandwich.  but the admiral doesn't like it.

I even do dishes Wayne.....helps to get glue and stuff off my fingers when I model......so it's a fair trade.  now,  if she only can get me to do other things......then I'd be more  'well rounded' :)

don't be sad Bob.....they'll be in the finished builds.....you can see them whenever you want  :)   just kidding........ I'm just glad you enjoyed the build.   these plans aren't dead yet....and I still have the templates........I have other uses for this darling  bwaaaaaha...ha.....ha!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well Mobbsie........the AmericA will be next........then the Goth.   there are a few things I can do to the hull / deck still....I want to try fitting  this in to get the build moving again,  until I can fully get back to her.  never a dull moment here!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Best wishes to the Admiral, i would love to hear you sing he he: )

Have a great evening

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

Great looking boats and there's a cake to boot!!!!  For a moment there I had scroll to the top of the page as I thought I'd wandered into one of Sjors's builds.   Here's some popcorn from one of his builds...post-76-0-25440700-1365114749.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

no.....you don't want to hear me sing Borge......although I do a great Tiny Tim.   you'd see me in a better light,  if I just played my bass  ;)

we could send you some John.......can't guarentee the freshness though :)

gee........thanks Mark  {note to self..........gotta get another update posted.....}  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK.......now that I am back with the Phylly C,  I can add some of the bling to her.   as mentioned,  I think I have gone far enough with the Denny-Zen.   most of what is left,  can be done to both of them.   I thought to go with skis for the Phylly C,  so I'll start by making up the tow ropes.......the rope coils.

post-612-0-13927900-1365178942_thumb.jpg

then,  to make the handles for them

post-612-0-90013400-1365178984_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-20641900-1365178997_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06182000-1365179009_thumb.jpg

eye bolts were added to the stern deck

post-612-0-32046000-1365179041_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83271500-1365179054_thumb.jpg

the tow ropes were then tied to the eye bolts.....the coils cemented to the deck

post-612-0-95177000-1365179158_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88246300-1365179171_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42279000-1365179182_thumb.jpg

the gauge panel was assembled at this point.......this will be done on both boats.  all this is,  is printed paper,  sealed,  with a wood border around it.

post-612-0-86117600-1365179374_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

additional bling was added......trim rails and side rails for the inner deck cockpit.   the inner ones are a bit higher for child protection,  and to mate with the appature on the starboard side,  heading towards the helm.  it begins with the port side.

post-612-0-01182000-1365179594_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62142300-1365179607_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02261800-1365179619_thumb.jpg

the inner rail on the starboard

post-612-0-54563700-1365179667_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63153900-1365179680_thumb.jpg

then the outer rail

post-612-0-08807100-1365179702_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-90159400-1365179714_thumb.jpg

I did notice that one of the posts on the port side outer rail,  wasn't pushed in all the way.   that has since been corrected.   I terminated the outer railing even with the inner one......I will be putting a ladder here.

post-612-0-97839100-1365179593_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice.  I'd be proud to be seen on the Phylly C. any time.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob.........this is just for starters.   there is more I have in mind ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

And another fine production Popeye, look forward to the additional 'bling' you have in mind - I love a surprise.  Mate, I read a few post back where you revealed the Admirals age - you will be so in trouble if she ever reads that :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat......I think I agree with Bob......I'm going to miss these two...   but I'll be on bigger and better things,  so I can cope :)   I can always do another variant......later  ;)   appreciate the good word.

she will never know........soon it will be burried with so much text,  she'll never see it!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Gee Popeye.  I blink and you outfit an entire ship.  GREAT STUFF!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I like it!!!!!  that is so sweet Andy!  I agree...this type of water antics,  would require something like this  ;)

thank you Augie........got more to do,  but I can see the finish line :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

loving it! I still like the wood that you have on the deck and around the front. It looks so sharp,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I also agree with Andy, the swimming platform would be a great addition with the water skis.

By the way are those rails brass? How'd you make those, the spindles I'm meaning? Very nice touch.

Can wait to see what else will pop out of the mind of popeye the magician, those lobster traps and sort table will be hard to beat.

I can't get over all the extra little details...really makes it look like a real family's pleasure craft for sure. And the teak swimming platform would make a great addition!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)