MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

I imagine that the decision on mixing the tones on the deck must have been a challenge but it has certainly come off. It looks superb. I'm now curious and interested in your reluctance to treenail. Care to share your thinking on this one?

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Oh Nigel,

I see decks are becoming more and ambitious to make, automaticly one would leave the shoes at the entrance and swap with the felt Clogs....

Fantastic deck plankwork and finish, I love that, and besides the hull lines can be seen very well in that headview, also the bow inner bulwark finish, which probably shall be planked later on Looks great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I imagine that the decision on mixing the tones on the deck must have been a challenge but it has certainly come off. It looks superb. I'm now curious and interested in your reluctance to treenail. Care to share your thinking on this one?

My original plan was to use a blond Shellac to tone down the difference in tones because to be honest,I am struggling to get pear all the same colour.Strips cut out of the same piece are no guarantee as the strips were ripped off the edge of the same 6mm sheet !!.However,when I gave the deck a wipe down with white spirit to remove sanding dust,I fell in love with the tones that shown up.The dry strip looks the same colour,it is the different levels of absorbancy that causes the colour shift. 

I am still undecided regarding treenails,my original plan included representation in copper of several different sizes depending on location.I am concerned that there presence will break up the wood tones and I feel possibly that on this occasion,less may be more.I have plenty of time to deliberate as at this rate,it will be another month before the other side gets to this stage. :D  :D .Either way,I would apply some finish first as you can drill a cleaner hole in the Pear that way,as some areas you can encounter 'soft spots' in the wood.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Oh Nigel,

I see decks are becoming more and ambitious to make, automaticly one would leave the shoes at the entrance and swap with the felt Clogs....

Fantastic deck plankwork and finish, I love that, and besides the hull lines can be seen very well in that headview, also the bow inner bulwark finish, which probably shall be planked later on Looks great...

Nils

Thank you very much indeed Nils :)  :) .Unfortunately there is no entry port on this vessel to place a door mat :D  :D .On a serious note,yes the internal faces of the bow will be fully planked,but there is a small between wale area at the bow on the outside that will be visible.This is the reason for using layers of pear in this area.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Robert :)  :) and thank you for your agreement.I have seen many fine models,both with and without treenails.Depending on the vessel,they can add to the impression,but can sometimes over complicate it and end up with too 'busy' an appearance.It may well be just the fact that the deck planking follows the curve of the hull towards the outsides and to treenail would result in straight lines that would 'jar' with the curves I have worked so hard to achieve.

Kind Regards

Nigel

P.S.If anyone has any further thoughts,please post them for and against because still very much on the fence :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

That is one beautiful deck Nigel - well done indeed!!! As for treenailing, I'm sure it will look fantastic whichever way you choose. As long as you keep them to correct scale size (which I know you will anyway) then I think they will be fine. You've gone to such trouble already to make "authentic" changes/additions, I guess I'd be leaning towards a "yes" vote on their inclusion.

Thank you very much indeed Grant :)  :) Yes they would be scale size :D  :D I can get copper wire down to 0.12mm dia,but have yet to find drill bits smaller than 0.3mm :D  :D let alone something to hold a drill that small :huh: That is now one vote each way ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

I love that deck with the colors and sharpness of the joints.  Very well done.

As for treenailing... tough choice. Seems we treenail because they are there and often almost invisible even on the full-size ships.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love that deck with the colors and sharpness of the joints.  Very well done.

As for treenailing... tough choice. Seems we treenail because they are there and often almost invisible even on the full-size ships.  

Thank you very much indeed Mark :)  :) I am consciously challenging everything that I took for granted on previous models with this build.It is sort of back to the beginning in order to attempt to create something that is truly different.I am even contemplating internal lighting which is a first for me on a static model :huh:  :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

hello Nigel, its always great when you post a update on your model. That deck looks fabulous mate.

Thank you very much indeed mate :)  :) Work is slow at the moment due to lack of time but I am moving forward and that is what matters :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

NIgel,

Keep on challenging things.... :)   If you're going to have lights in it, you best be thinking about that before planking or going much further as the wiring needs to be run.  I ran into issues with my Constellation even though I'd started the wiring with backbone and bulkheads.   If I were doing it again, I'd do it much differently.

Brian, Nigel,

Dan's was wood.  I'm not sure if it was a Hasegawa.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

NIgel,

Keep on challenging things.... :)   If you're going to have lights in it, you best be thinking about that before planking or going much further as the wiring needs to be run.  I ran into issues with my Constellation even though I'd started the wiring with backbone and bulkheads.   If I were doing it again, I'd do it much differently.

Brian, Nigel,

Dan's was wood.  I'm not sure if it was a Hasegawa.

Thanks Mark :) The cable runs are already planned ;) and yes different to how everyone else does it :D  :D  :D  :D.I have worked out how to do it and have NO visible wiring inside despite having big lumps of upperdecks unplanked.Still on the fence with this as well and need to experiment making scale lanterns.

Kind Regards

Nigel

this is my current build. Its all wood and Britannia metal construction.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MA1030

sorry mate for polluting your build log with thread drift.

No worries about hijacking mate,that looks a fabulous model B)  B)  B) Dan's Hasegawa model was wood,but the kit was discontinued probably about 30 years ago.They also produced a Focker triplane as well.There is a pic of his model in the what else do you model thread.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Your deck looks amazing. I enjoy doing the decking as a good deck makes the model sing. Yours is singing at full voice! Great work.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Nigel, gorgeous decking! Do you also do kitchen floors? LOL  :P

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hey Nigel. Are you sure the weather deck had treenails? Vasa didn't. I agree with Mark that they would hardly be visible at your scale. On the other hand your detail work is amazing and I'm sure you could get to look in scale. I would not do them though both for scale reasons and lack of skill.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Nigel, gorgeous decking! Do you also do kitchen floors? LOL  :P

Thank you very much indeed Patrick :)  :) Kitchen floors,mmm,now there's a story :D  :D I altered our house to open plan and found floor screed to be 60mm out of level from the front to back :huh:  :huh:  :huh: result,kango floor screed up and rescreed whole of ground floor :o  :o  :o .

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hey Nigel. Are you sure the weather deck had treenails? Vasa didn't. I agree with Mark that they would hardly be visible at your scale. On the other hand your detail work is amazing and I'm sure you could get to look in scale. I would not do them though both for scale reasons and lack of skill.

/Matti

What research material I have for this period suggests either treenails or iron spikes.The copper 'nails' would be a representation rather than replication if you know what I mean.If I do choose to show them,I will adopt the 'all or nothing' approach.So this would mean all fixings both inside and outside the hull.Size wise at 1/60 they are quite prominent.A standard treenail or spike head would be around 0.4mm.Smaller diameters would be employed to represent the double nailing in the pear gratings I have to make and slightly larger sizes for the wales and spirketing as this acts as binding strakes on the internal faces of the frames.All the 'fixings' would be sanded flush.I will employ copper pinning anyway on replicated timber joints,these will be in abundance at the stern as this will be framed in an 'authentic' manner(at least as near as I can get it as no plans exist).Considerable pinning was used in the deck framing around the knees,so this would be shown.

Kind Regards

Nigel

NIgel,

Superb update. Your deck is awesome. Treenail topic is interesting. Though it looks so perfect as it is.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hey there Bud.. I have only just caught you up (from your photo of the half planked deck) the variations in colour are indeedy the Cats PJ's, hope you manage to keep it as vivid as in the photos !  There is something very very pleasing in the uniformity given with the Black Paper between the planking !Beeeutiful :rolleyes:

The internal lighting should be magic too, just to show off that wonderful finish properly if for no other reason ;) (I can just picture the warmth of the internal lighting on that Pear) though that is just the fore-runner to what you will be doing elsewhere on board. ^_^

Can't wait to see what you decide vis-a-vis Tree-nailing (would you Blacken the Copper or leave it 'polished' looking? )

Stay Well Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄