HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - 1/64 - POB - 32-Gun Frigate

Hi Rusty,

When I was reading your log of the cross section you are saying that you gonna scratch the Winnie.

So here I'am !

I see a few guy's that I knowing so I'm in good company  :D

I must say ,when I see this so far , you are in a high speed......

And everything looks so crisp and clean !

I will follow you and one day I will do such a thing by myself......dream on baby ! ( talking to myself now )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors and welcome aboard! I'm not traveling at a very fast pace right now. Spring has

finally sprung and shop time is getting less and less.  Also I've followed your work and

you could come over to the "dark side" too. :)

Hi Ben, I really like the Oneida products but there other brands out there too that you can also look into.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty,

You are number 7 who is saying that I have to go to the dark side......

I will see what you are gonna make of it and maybe I will follow you one day !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hey Remco and Sjors, the work is not scary but some of us are!  ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty,

How many misingpieces did you find in that dust bucket? :rolleyes:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Chuck, there so many pieces parts in there I couldn't count that high. I did get the bit I was after though!  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Dave! Thanks for stopping by and I know you will love building this one!

Sorry there hasn't been much activity on the build log. There has a lot going on and

I've only been able to pop in once in a while. I had a bathroom renovation I had to

do as well as the other "normal" spring time duties that required my attention so

shop time suffered.

Now most of you know, and I've done it before, when your busy with activities other

than modeling you should not try to steal time to work when you can't devote your

full attention. Rushing in the shop and grabbing a few minutes here and there seemed

like a good idea butttt..... Now I'm sure you can feel the "oh crap what have I done"

story coming here! :o

I started laying the first five rows of planking. The first plank on the model is the first

strake below the wales and then the next four rows are the base for the wales. Sooooo

after placing these first planks I notice that my planking wasn't running the same as Chucks.

Now that's not too unusual as I can't come close to planking as well as he does. But after

going back and looking at Chucks pictures and the plans I notice the rise of my planks at

the bow was too sharp. I don't know how I messed it up. (Did the same on the Confederacy! Duh!)

I pouted for a day and then sucked it up and set about correcting my boneheaded mistake. :( 

Not the first and certainly not the last!

So to correct this I went back to around the 7th bulkhead where the run was true, ripped

the planks off and reran the planking. Although not perfect it is much closer to where it

needs to be. Thank goodness that the second planking of the wales will cover the cut line

or I would have had to rip the full run off. Of course I had to do this to both the port and

starboard sides as they matched.

Here are some pictures of the planking in it's rough state as she sits right now.

post-43-0-17595500-1402246113_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-78174300-1402246117_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-83837200-1402246114_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-86532700-1402246115_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-77530700-1402246119_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48602200-1402246121_thumb.jpg

Also to get the curve correct for the hull planking I took the plans and cut the shape of

the hull out of a scrap piece of wood and was able to bend two planks at a time. There

was a little "spring back" but for the most part they fit very well.

post-43-0-86533700-1402246110_thumb.jpg

Ok the plan now it to keep my head out of my butt and proceed with as few errors as possible! :angry:

* Please note that censors severely edited the language in this post to maintain a "G" rating * :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yikes.....sorry to hear about the problem but you've made a nice recovery.  I have to agree that, no matter how much it may irk me to get nothing done for a day, those 30 minute bursts can sometimes result in an 8 hour step backwards.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

A great reminder about being able to devote time and attention to anything other than "mindless" tasks in the shipyard Rusty. This is the reason I rarely get anything done during the working week - I'm usually brain dead by the time I get home, so unless it's a coat of paint on a minor part, then the shipyard remains closed. Sorry for your need to re-do, but the results speak for themselves.

Hi Sjirs, no filler on this planning job. She'll not be covered by anything.

Hi Augie, yeah this was a one step forward and several steps back moment!

Hi Ben. Best I can figure is it was due to a heavy dose of stupidity and a good sized portion of dumb *** thrown in. Seriously........no wait that was being serious.

What I think happened was that when I fared the bow area I sanded away the two fore most markings for the run of the planks and when I replaced them I'm sure I screwed them up. Add to that I  probably then ran the batten strip a little high and then I let the first plank also run a little high. Add all those little highs together and you end up with a run one plank too high. Every thing aft of that was on target so that is my assumption. 

And we all know what happens when you assume.    :D

I agree Grant. If it's something that's not so critical and you mess it up you can just throw it out and make another. I'll now leave something as sensitive as planking to moments when I have more time.

Thanks all for the likes too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I have been plugging away at the port side planking. I have completed most of the first l

ayer of planking and given it a quick sanding with some 120 grit sandpaper. Once it is finished I'll

sand it down to 400 grit and then add the second layer for the wales.

Then it's over to the starboard side! :)

post-43-0-53040400-1403523716_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-70193500-1403523718_thumb.jpg

It's always slow going this time of year but that's ok.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That's only with 120 paper ....... very sharp!  Nice sheaves, by the way.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Rusty,

What thickness above existing planking will you be doing for the wales?  Will you be doing a blackstrake?  If so, what thickness above existing planking?

Chuck S.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Augie and Bob.

Hi Ben, The only issues are from my failings. Everything else is spot on. Sweep ports oh I can't tell

you how happy I was when Chuck said they were not on this model! :)

Hi Chuck S. There are four strakes of wale planking. The second layer of planking will be 5/32” x 1/16”

strips just like the first. The black strake will be 1/32” x 5/32”.

In the instructions Chuck notes that "At the bow, the total thickness of the black strake was less than 1/64”

as it butted into the stem.  The wales were left only slightly thicker than that."  

Thanks all for you visits and all your comments and likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

Thanks.  That is about what my current build looks like; wale = 1/16 over base and black = 1/32 over base.  I am a bit concerned with working with the 1/32" stuff.  My other option is to go full thickness: 3/32".  My opinion on that is it will be TOO thick to porperly bend.  I guess that's why they made experimentation.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck, You could bend the 3/32" but it would be a lot harder to work with. When I mill the 1/32" x 5/32"

for the black strake I will make the thickness slightly oversized. That helps me when I final sand it I will have

the correct thickness and not too thin!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty:

Your work is top notch as always. Really enjoying watching the progress on this developing classic by Chuck. Looking forward to when it becomes available to the market.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave, Thanks and once released I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I had a little more time in the shop thanks to some thunder storms! I've applied a light coat of

wipe on poly. This helps me determine high and low spots that need more sanding.

post-43-0-33318100-1403881646_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-23429600-1403881648_thumb.jpg

I will now clean up the highs and lows and then apply a last coat of poly. After that I will finish

the starboard side and then on to the second layer of planking for the wales.  :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I am seeing alot of people using wipe on poly.  Can you stain once you have applied it or do you have to stain beofre you apply.  Obviously you can paint over top of the poly wipe.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Dirk and Rich everyone for all the likes.

Chuck S. The wipe on poly acts as a sealer so if you want to do any staining you would

need to do that first. You also want to avoid applying poly to the area where the second

layer for the wales go. That's another reason it will all get another round of sanding.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the starboard side has the first layer of planking has been completed, rough sanded and a

light coat of poly. The planking came out fairly well but I am disappointed both side do not mirror

each other exactly. There are some slight variation in how the planking hits the gun ports. :(

post-43-0-93919100-1404954265_thumb.jpg

A little more sanding needed on both side and then I can start the wales planking. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looks good from here Rusty!

Is it an issue with the planking or the framing??

If your not happy you can always tear all the planking off and start again! Lol! Really is there that much difference between them??

Ben