Constitution by patrickmil - Model Shipways - 1/76th

I like that spindle sander Patrick!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie. I'm not sure if Harbor Freight Tools is in Colorado, but it's only $129 there. I don't know how I did any wood working before without it.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Yes, we have Harbor Freight out here.  We call it the 'Chinese Store'.  I have gotten good service out of their $89 scroll saw.  Don't put much stock in their hand tools......I kind of like the ones that last 2 lifetimes (like those I inherited from my Dad).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, I agree 100%. I don't purchase tools from there if I'm going to be using them quite a bit, and for hand tools I usually stick with much nicer brands that have history behind their names. 

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Patrick, Thank you for posting the link to the 1803 painting. It's full of information. Too bad we can't know for sure how accurate it is but it sure is a big piece of the puzzle. It's really interesting that it has no gunport lids at all. I can't imagine that a frigate of that period designed to operate in the open Atlantic not having them.

I have a book on the way that is an illistrated guid to the ship model collection of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. The description specifically talked about Constitution models. I will let you know what it shows.

Here is a link to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts Constitution model. Some decent photos. It shows the figurehead and split Gunport Lids among other interesting details.

http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/u-s-frigate-constitution-38428

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Al, I'm still not 100% on the gunport lids. I agree that it would be strange to not have anything at all. I'm really anticipating what you see in the book your are expecting. I will have to carefully look over the pictures in that link. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

not too sure about the lids,  but if you find that they weren't there in that period......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I like the concept of asking for forgivness rather than permission, you obtain the toys that way..lol. My only comment would be that the addition of the disk sander with the belt really gives you a good tool. I have found some on ebay for around $70, but haven't bought them yet. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way they are really handy.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Looking good Patrick, and I like the new toys :)  I need to buy a few new ones myself...

The Charles Morgan's keel also came in multiple pieces.  I'm thinking of cutting out a new one out of one solid piece also.  The multiple pieces are probably ok if glued correctly, but I think a solid piece will give me more comfort.  Not sure why MS does their keels that way.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Popeye, I haven't seen anything painted in that period to suggest they were ever present early on. The Hull model doesn't even have any installed on it. John, that is purely a 1" belt sander. The disc sander is attached to the lather outside in the garage. The belt sander makes sawdust really quickly so I have to be careful to not remove too much wood when working with it. The spindle sander is working out great too; much slower removal of wood. Mike, I am much happier with my one piece keel. When I laminated and glued the sections together of what MS supplied I felt that it wasn't very sturdy at all.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick, I've gotta agree with you regards the sturdiness of the MS kit keel pieces. But not having access to toys like yours, I reinforced my keel by cutting a groove on each side and then inserting a spare piece of planking (salvaged from a previous kit) along the length. I'm yet to make any real progress on my Constitution yet, but when I'm ready to, then I'll be armed with a lot more information gleaned from your research as well as all the other Connie builders here on MSW.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

CaptainSteve, I remember in your log when you did that. That was an outstanding idea by the way. We'll all keep our eyes peeled for when your log gets started up again.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I have been working at it, but haven't really had an pictures opportunities until now. For those familiar with the MS Connie kit, you'll notice that the bulkheads have been modified. I cut the spar deck support from these bulkheads. Since I shaved off a 1/16" from the center keel piece I had to match that to the bulkheads, so using the belt sander I smoothed the remaining stub from the center spar deck support and shaved the bulkheads by 1/16". Again, the 1/16" is to make up for the gundeck planking. I shot a picture of the pieces put together, but there is no glue yet. I have to mark the bulkheads with where the gundeck is going to be and sand off the remaining stubs from the inner bulwark sides. You may have also noticed that I haven't gotten to the last bulkhead, R. I will be working on that as well so I can show off a complete room back there. 

post-122-0-55507800-1395921470_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-21271500-1395921478_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-13981100-1395921490_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-72980300-1395921498_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

whoooooHoooo.........wood meets wood!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I know, I know... It seems like quite a bit of time since my last update on Connie. The bulkheads have required so much modifying for what I want to do though. I still have to take it all apart and put some more on them. I've also noticed that some of the bulkheads got some glue while still in their cut out sheets. I think MS may have snapped a piece or two and glued it back while in place. No matter though since it appears that it's strong enough and they'll be covered. I'm going to add some strip wood to the outsides of each of these pieces to thicken up the framing towards the tops to allow for fairing.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

that don't sound too good.........I don't mind a little plywood delamination,   but that would really fry my eggs.   very interested to see the decking done as well  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks good Patrick, I should have known you have a separate disk sander....duh..

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

Looking good Patrick B)  B) I am keenly following along as I am partial to a good bit of kitbashing myself :D  :D .Definitely a better approach to remove and later replace the deck beams when installing internal detail,saves a ton of time in the long run as access is so much easier.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Tom, I'm noticing that every step of the way now requires me to check plans, check sources, go back to checking plans and line things up to make sure all of my drawings are to scale.

Popeye, the defects are minor thankfully.

John, I don't use the disc sander that much, I don't have the control with it like I do with the spindle sander.

Nigel, my plan is to install the gundeck and some bracing for the upper bulwarks and then plank the hull. I'm still wrestling with leaving some spar decking off to show the gundeck. We'll see...

As always, thanks for looking in. I'm in the process of finishing the bulkheads and getting them in place. Some are tight enough that right now they are introducing some warp to the keel.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

sand the edges of the slots a little.........snug,  but not tight ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, the slots for the bulkheads were actually way too loose so I glued down a little bit of extra thin walnut strip (leftover second planking from my Bluenose 2) to make up for the play in them. I had to sand this down slightly to get them to fit snugly (but not too tight). The pictures I've included today is my first bulkhead in place with some right angle aluminum to hold it perfectly there. I've also measured and cut some blocks to help evenly space the distance between bulkheads. I'll be gluing bulkheads all day. Thanks to all for looking in.

post-122-0-78436900-1396112439_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-21039200-1396112448_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-21339900-1396112460_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Off and running Patrick....have fun as she shapes up...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

John, I'm chomping at the bit to get more done on her, but I have to let this glue dry for at least an hour before unclamping them. Patience is NOT one of my better virtues. LOL

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

After a long day in the shipyard it was time to sit back and have a glass of bourbon. Sorry for the sacrilege, but I like my bourbon cold so I put it on ice. I managed to get all of my bulkheads in place and glued in permanently. I also got the spacers in place just below the gundeck. This really helped with ironing out a very very slight bend in my keel. The one picture shows a nice straight keel. The bearding line was marked and the keel was sanded in the appropriate area. Next up will be the actual keel, the basswood blocks up front and some more studying to figure out which way to shape the filler blocks for the stern. Thanks to all for looking in.

post-122-0-95354400-1396146128_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-71507500-1396146140_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-77891200-1396146160_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

As will I.  But make mine neat.  Looks good, mate.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Rich, Augie and Sjors, thanks for looking in. Sjors, she is pretty big, but don't say that around her; she's very self-conscious.  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P Thanks to all for the likes and checking in one me.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hey Patrick,

That's some motivation you've got starting another build so quickly - I'm usually useless for another build for at least 6 months after finishing one.

This is going to be great to watch. I've always wanted to do the MS Connie, in just the way you plan to, but lack of space is an issue. At least this way I'll get the pleasure of watching it come together without having to do any of the work. Kind of like having a personal shopper.

Those are some really neat toys you have, wish I had a few.

It sounds like you've got all the info you need regarding cannon but since you are working in an odd scale you might find this scale convertor handy, it converts between metric and English and you can plug in any scale you want, might help with after market stuff.

http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm

Looking forward to a great build.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)