Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale - POF

I should clarify I don't mean to say that it is easy because i know it's not.  What I mean to say is you do it so well and so consistently it appears to be easy for you.  Your work is incredible I really can't wait to see the rigging come together with all that shiny brass.  

That's exactly why you go to all that effort, mate - because you're having so much fun! :)  ;)

John

No, John,

he´s having the fun and the sweat, and we´re having the joy and a bit of disbelieve, while we´re snugly stowed atop of our perfectly balanced and ergonomically well-designed office-chairs and watch his efforts on our screens, a cup of coffee or a decent mug full of beer in reach - birds and bees and sun and my squealing two cats in the garden, under the trees, reporting that spring is around the corner after all - and just stare. I admit a bit of grudge, but only a tiny bit.

Next thing I´ll be after - such is the way to megalomania !- will be a good, old-fashioned cast-iron lathe, that´s for sure !

By the way: isn´t there a list somewhere of the shackles needed for this smack, where he/we could take the proper sizes and then scale them down to 1:8 ?

Greetings, and have a sunny spring, all of you.

Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

Alex I use a small centre drill with an  X Y table and hold the shackle by slipping it over a piece of maple in the vice. I will take a photo of the drilling when I get to the drilling of the rest.

Daniel I am also looking forward to the rest of the rigging, The thing that appears a little daunting is all the rope I am going to have to make, and sewing the sails.

John you are exactly right.

Germanus, thanks for looking in and giving me that critical eye. So now I will have to re evaluate the whole Shackle issue to make sure they pass inspection. Germanus a good lathe is one of those tools that I would suggest is something to search for, they can be had if you look hard enough. I would be lost without mine ...... no I would jury rig something;>)

Yea it is sunny today , I think a lot of the snow will melt today.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

great stuff Micheal!  those fittings and shackles make this the most realistic build..........superb job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

No, Michael, I´m not playing the criticaster, though Germans are said to love carping around a bit. Weeell, that may be the case, now and then, but only, if need be. :cheers:    

Nobody is perfect, not even Germans.

But in this case it´s definitely no: not me casting critical eyes on your work. Maybe I just have a well-trained eye for the proportions of naval things in general. Rude looking cordage or - as in this case- too small/too big shackles can spoil a model more than necessary.

Carry on, lieutenant Mott. We´ll follow in your wake. :10_1_10:

Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

Popeye, thanks for the though.

Germanus, thanks again for your thoughts and compliments, I have found another great link regarding shackles and their sizes and capacities

Very interesting this will help me in the long run.

Carlos, thanks for looking in.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hello Michael Mot 

In the begining of your work you write that you based on the British  Smack Plans ,I noticed that you make several transformations in the hull.

The hull is more deep ,also de queel is very long ,this modifications are made to have a better sail ?

Regards 

carlos

Carlos, In the very beginning of building this model I really did not know very much about this type of vessel. This model will be going into the water and I noticed that many of the sailing models added an external Keel to give the model stability, I did not want to do this, and Since my model is based on a set of plans that were quite simple there were only five stations plus a transom on the MAP plans. I modified it so that the ballast will be internal. All the rest of the details are really am amalgam of cutters and smacks.

Now that I am learning a few things the next model will be drawn to better reflect the real shape of the cutter's hull form.

In fact the next model will be either Doris which is a Bawley or Shamrock V, I have the Rene Sarero plans of Shamrock to build an 8 foot long hull.

Michael

8 Feet?!?!  Wow that's huge.  It would be incredible seeing it sail though.  

Hello Michael Mott

I know there are some plans we can buy , they aren´t cheep but they are good plans ; but today I think you don´t need those plans ,because you already have a hull

you can watch this site and look for the plans 

http://www.workingsail.co.uk/

There are many places to give an idea and to give you some inspiration 

https://www.facebook.com/carlotta1899pilotcutter

http://bcpcoa.com/

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?147382-Designing-a-7-ton-cutter

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10150361373143176&type=1

http://www.ten-wolde.net/Smack/drawings/ESYdraw.html

http://www.betty-ck145.de/docueng/smacks/smack_plans.html

Best regards

Carlos

Carlos, thank you for those links, I already know of some of them but others were new. Now that half my day has gone reading I will head out to the shop toss some firewood into the stove and ponder the next step.

Michael

The barrel staves were machined to take the brass rings and plates

post-202-0-12648100-1366435612_thumb.jpg

The  ratchet was milled using the same 30 tooth gear as a guide that was used to make the gear for the roller reefing, I just indexed it 2 teeth at a time to give 15 teeth on the ratchet.

post-202-0-50717500-1366435613_thumb.jpg

The section that is for the anchor chain was made with individual strips spaced around the maple formers, as I glued the last piece on I realized that I had missed the middle former and looking closely I also realized that I had made it a bit uneven so tomorrow I will cut some new discs and staves and redo that end. adding the middle one so that when it comes to adding the bolts there will be the three formers inside.

post-202-0-24529600-1366435615_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-75931000-1366435616_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-95825600-1366435609_thumb.jpg

I will soft solder the discs to the gear

Michael

Michael,

Do you do the drawings for all the small parts or are they provided with the plans?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

John Thanks

Bob, the plans are my own based on a single sheet from the original MAP plans. The only part of the original plan that I used were the station lines.

here is a shot of where the plans are at the moment

The first drawing is one that was done in Corel

post-202-0-98652400-1366478634_thumb.jpg

These drawings are from Autocad

post-202-0-34156900-1366478543_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-05479700-1366478542_thumb.jpg

As I finish parts if I modify it I go back and modify the cad drawings, some parts get made then I do a drawing.

The challenge on the next model will be to do the research then the drawings and then follow the drawings.

This model it is really a hybrid of pilot cutters and fishing smacks, and is giving me the experience and confidence to work on the next one when this one is finished.

Michael

The saga continues...

post-202-0-78836900-1366515996_thumb.jpg

The new sub-frame for the anchor side it is turned up from some maple broom handle.

post-202-0-46140500-1366515998_thumb.jpg

After gluing up I set up and drilled all the bolt holes these are .046 or 3/64th I also increased to shaft to 1/4 which is scale is 2 inches and added square ends for fast winding with a handle I still need to cut the square holes for the extra leverage handles.

post-202-0-76782300-1366516000_thumb.jpg

The posts needed to be set through the deck so the holes were drilled and swan then filed square

post-202-0-44750600-1366516002_thumb.jpg

Set in place not glued yet so that I can add the other parts of the winch supports.

post-202-0-46527500-1366516005_thumb.jpg

The added parts glued in place. Then about ten minutes after the glue had been applied I realized that the whole winch was too low for the chain to go under , I was so focused on clearing the under side of the bowsprit when it is retracted. after getting all that sorted I also noted that to clear the bowsprit I had already moved the winch a little further to the stern so the distance between the bowsprit posts and the winch barrel was longer that the pawl I had drawn for the ratchet (don't you just love dominoes) I decided to cross that bridge later.

post-202-0-34143000-1366516007_thumb.jpg

I snapped  off the newly glued parts and raised the posts so that there was clearance under the staves for the chain. so then I had to re-drill the holes for the top bar of the bowsprit posts, this did not go as well as planned the 1/8 drill was not aligned properly and came out the second post off to the stern about 3/64ths.  It took a while to sort out I used a scrap of oak and drilled a hole 5/16 in diameter. This guide block was clamped to the port post and I used a 5/16 end mill in the hand drill to start the new larger hole to encompass both 1/8th holes.

I marked a datum across the oak and the posts so that I could re-clamp it to the starboard post.

After both holes were drilled I used a 5/16 reamer to ensure that a 5/16 dowel would slide through smoothly.

I still needed to shave about 1/16th off the bottom side of the bowsprit after that was done the bowsprit cleared the winch barrel as it was retracted.

post-202-0-86695400-1366516008_thumb.jpg

I made a compromise and formed a bracket that will be screwed to the deck with 4 screws to hold the hinged end of the pawl. I will sleep on this solution and see how it feel tomorrow.

post-202-0-73385300-1366515994_thumb.jpg

Michael

Pawl posts were very common. I agree with John that a post set in front of the windlass might be a better solution.

Russ

John, Russ, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, Dave thanks for looking in.

I have attached a drawing showing the current position of the winch and the original drawing as I had thought it would work before the chain issue.

post-202-0-37860000-1366557557_thumb.jpg

winch alt.pdf

The PDF is clearer than the JPEG

My question relates to the end of the pawl I have circled it, in some of the photographs of winches that I can see, there seems to be a double bar one above the other, I do not see any springs or why this is so.

I will certainly heed the advice and set up a post for the pawl, any better information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Ah, the joy of design as well as building.  Figuring out how it all works and then drawing it is what I used to do for a living, now I do it for fun. 

I’m not sure about on board ship but on the farm when I was young; when pawls were doubled they were set at half cog steps so when one pawl held the other was riding half way down the next cog.  One pawl was under the other and ready to catch the next cog and then when it dropped the pawl on top was at a half step.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob, Thanks for that information, it makes a lot of sense to me.

So thinking about the post and the position of the ratchet, I rearranged the items on the shaft to shift the ratchet to the starboard side this gives me a lot more room for the post I also machined up a less complex channel to take the second pawl, everything is just held in place with double sided tape. If this looks like a reasonable set up I will cut the hole in the deck and make the post with the top so that it can be used as another "hitching post".

post-202-0-75041400-1366576679_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-89453000-1366576681_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-57678900-1366576683_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-81530100-1366576677_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Michael

Michael,

Why not leave the pawl on the centreline and use a longer post so that the pawl drops down on the pawl wheel from above, which is the more usual arrangement?  The post can also be quite close to the windlass with the pawl (or pawls) being quite short.

John

Hello, Michael,
I´m not very sure, but wasn´t the top bar pulled out, when taking the boom in ?
To me that looks like the most ergonomical way to go about that task : first slacken the fore stays, than pull the boom backwards. It would be quite easy to lift the boom inboard, because the better part of the boom is outside the stem pushing the aft end upwards. So you won´t have to worry about the clearance for the anchor chain under the winch barrel.

Greetings
Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

John are you suggesting something like this?

post-202-0-63617600-1366579225_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-55278200-1366579223_thumb.jpg

Michael

Germanus, Your comment makes sense, I have sorted out the chain clearance and the boom can retract without pulling out the top bar now. I do like the ratchet on the outside but putting it back on the centre line looks Ok too.

Michael