Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Since it is my 65th birthday tomorrow I felt that the shop should be clean for my new life of retirement ....LOL  I cannot imagine not being busy doing a dozen or more things every day.

Anyway I moved the boat to a new position and did a major clean up organized all the strip wood I have cut over the past year. And spent the evening working on the port side cap rail. refining the profile and getting it ready to be glued down.

post-202-0-15081400-1365223744_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-00781000-1365223766_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-72870100-1365223848_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35513600-1365223368_thumb.jpg

It was great to get a bit of time this evening to work on the boat again, it is snowing again!

Michael

post-202-0-80556100-1365223910_thumb.jpg

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The shop looks good. I find it is a good thing to tidy up a bit every now and again. It helps me focus. Have a great day.

Russ

Michael,

I see Walter is looking very smugg about his tidied workshop, so it seems you've done a great job. Have a wonderful day tomorrow

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Congratulations on your retirement! The best is yet to come!!

Matt

Congratulations on your retirement.  The rework of the shop is a good start on the "after work" part of life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

work......four letter word......too bad it wasn't included in the list of four letter words,  mother told you never to say......LOL!    nice work area.......I am in envy.........!  enjoy your new title.....I'll look forward to getting there myself.......and in seeing more progress on your fine build! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael,

You could spend many hours in a nice shop like that.  Hope retirement does not keep you too busy.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Russ, Carl, Matt, Mark, Mark, John, Yambo, Popeye, Bob, and Druxey.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I had to rearrange the shop today again! the boat was blocking the light on the bench. so I also took the opportunity to rebuild the building bench. The model was longer than the bench and I kept almost walking into the bowsprit or the stern, I had an old office desk top that was 90 inches long so I used it to ensure that I cannot walk into the boat. Also lowered it to 30 inches high.

post-202-0-06199500-1365559198_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03096400-1365559202_thumb.jpg

Then I was able to continue with the hounds cheeks and bolster ready for the topmast.

post-202-0-02528300-1365559200_thumb.jpg

The fitting at the top of the main mast is a metal component that I wanted to make out of a single piece of metal instead of soldering up a group of parts.  I used a scrap of 1/4 inch thick brass bar and drew the shape with a felt pen and cut it out with the jewelers saw after drilling the two holes.

post-202-0-52234300-1365559203_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-40395100-1365559205_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-43493000-1365559207_thumb.jpg

The roughed out shape ready to drill the holes in the tabs.I was pleased that I did not break any blades doing the cutting which took about 20 minutes.

post-202-0-62824200-1365559208_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-86450200-1365559209_thumb.jpg

After the holes were drilled I sat in front of the wood stove enjoying the warmth and filed the filling to the final shape.

Next it was cleaned up with the wire wheel which gives it a cast appearance.

post-202-0-10178600-1365559211_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-96120100-1365559192_thumb.jpg

Now to make the topmast.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

You make metal work look as easy as wood work.  I'm very impressed.  She's going to be quiet the beauty will all those shiny parts.  Congrats on the retirement!

20 minutes to cut that?......how the ......?

Wow

Matt

Michael,

Beautiful metalwork and mostly by hand no less.  I'll be that was both relaxing and fun.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Daniel, Daniel, John, Alfons, Druxey, Ron, Matt and Mark. Thank you all for you congratulations and kind thoughts and comments.

Later on Tuesday I was able to change pace and finish shaping the tops of the bowsprit bits.

post-202-0-80253300-1365690739_thumb.jpg

The bits are rock maple 1/2 inch square and the knees have been glued now to the bits I will add some through bolts and the other fittings before the final gluing to the deck. The brass pin is just a place holder for a larger top retainer. I am looking next to working on the boom fittings including the the fitting that will attach to the stem ( cannot think of the name of it right at the moment)

I will set up the fore stay similar to this one on Betty.

Michael

Beautiful and precise...as usual! I had to bring my husband in and show him the brass bar you cut in 20 minutes!!!!!!! :o  I'm into all things wood...he's into metal. He admired your work very much, as do I! :)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Michael,

Beautiful work, as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

nice work on the bow posts.......really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael:

The bitts and the knees look great. I also like the elegant chamfered edges on the inboard portion of the bowsprit. I will doing the same thing on my schooner. That seems to have been a common detail.

Russ

Sherry, I cut another today but it is not going to work for me this time, I made a couple of errors doing the rest of the work.

Bob,thanks.

Russ, thanks for the comment regarding the shape of the bowsprit, Quite a few of the cutters and smacks that I have seen on the web seem to follow this basic design.

John thanks for looking in.

As I mentioned above I did some more cutting today, but before I get to it I worked on the Gammon Iron I fabricated it from a couple of pieces the ring came from an old bronze plumbing fitting,

post-202-0-84384200-1365740765_thumb.jpg

I cut off the end with a hacksaw then turned and parted off the ring.

Next I pulled a strip out of the strip tray and laid out the hole positions with a felt pen.

post-202-0-17928900-1365740767_thumb.jpg

Soldering was a bit cranky I had to pickle it and rework the solder.

post-202-0-54570500-1365740768_thumb.jpg

Then the time consuming clean up with the usual assortment of files, wet and dry paper, steel wool.

post-202-0-40190000-1365740769_thumb.jpg

Then it was a fairly straightforward wrap of some soft rope made from embroidery floss which makes a nice soft rope.

post-202-0-13238400-1365740771_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-79373900-1365740772_thumb.jpg

After the gammon iron I began working on the cap for the end of the bowsprit, another 20 minutes of cutting with the jewelers saw (same blade)from the previous cutting, I am always amazed at how well these blades stand up to use.

post-202-0-92304900-1365740773_thumb.jpg

I was pleased with the cutting but then had to chuck it up in the lathe to open the hole up to 11/16 because I did not have an end mill that size. this allowed me to put in the taper as well.

post-202-0-69237600-1365740775_thumb.jpg

Then I cleaned it up with files getting the ring even and drilling the holes, then it came to filing the tabs and the first pair I filed the angle backwards to the taper. I was a bit peeved, but though I could still save the day by rounding them and was going to rotate the ring so that they could act as the bowsprit shrouds lugs.

Started to file the bob say and jib tabs and well you guessed it I went and filed them backwards as well. This was the straw that .....

Went back to the brass bins and found a section of 3/4 inch brass pipe which was thick enough to accept the taper both inside and out. So forward to the next bowsprit end cap, this also gave me the opportunity to increase the size because apart from the fabrication shortcomings the first attempt was a little small overall.

post-202-0-39308700-1365740764_thumb.jpg

a piece of 1/16 by 3/8 strip was drilled for the tabs this where it is at so far. I will finish cutting them out tomorrow, Ive had enough fretting today already. ;)

Michael

Great work. That is some impressive lathe you have there!

Matt

Brilliant use of pipe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg