Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

nice job! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Incredible metal work.  You have some real talent.     

This lovely model is very much in the tradition of those huge Victorian model sailing yachts that are now so valuable they are in glass cases and we never see them sailing. Really looking forward to seeing this finished and taking it's rightful place on the water.  

Russ, thanks, Silver soldering always feels a bit nerve wracking for me.

Popeye, thanks for following along.

Mark, thanks for the compliment, regarding the torch, it is an air acetylene one and the tip is a medium size, I have a smaller tip but have misplaced it. My friend the silversmith does use a torch about the same size.

John, thanks, that'l teach ya for turning around! ;)

Daniel, thanks I think it all has to do with that 10,000 hour rule, I have been doing metal for a long time, and I really enjoy it.

Dale, Thanks, I think that some of those models you speak of were probably an influence in my early years when I spent hours in places like the South Kensington Science museum and Greenwich. Getting her in the water is a very motivating goal.

The interesting thing about working on this model is that for me it feels more balanced than some of the other projects that I have worked on over the years. There is so much scope for working on different materials and elements from wood to metal and fabric. I am also learning so much by reading all of the wonderful build logs that are shared within this wonderful community of ship and boat builders. I am actually looking forward to working on the sails, and firing up the old treadle sewing machine. 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

Brass work on the chainplates is as usual excellent.

What's that piece of 'stone' you use for soldering. Have seen it before on a build log somewhere ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Carl on this page scroll down to see the honeycomb soldering block. they are not that expensive and the honeycomb is great because you cat put rods in to hold and line things up.

http://www.silversupplies.com/catalog/new_product/soldering_block.shtml

or go to this link

http://www.fdjtool.com/Category/965_1/Solder_Blocks.aspx

I purchased mine at the local silver smiths supply house in Edmonton.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I managed to get one of the chainplates roughly shaped today it is mostly tapered with a parallel section below the spacing block. I thought a decorative flourish works for the bottoms.

post-202-0-93780100-1363922488.jpg

post-202-0-69630700-1363922624.jpg

post-202-0-76916400-1363922625.jpg

The screws are 1 inch long 4x40 brass machine screw.I need to reshape the head to get rid of the slots.

Most of the day was used up collecting some firewood and helping a friend move some steers and Heifers.

Michael

Michael,

You're half a farmer! ;) Thank you for the info on the honeycomb soldering block

Those chainplates look good, better than the first you made. It has a look of strength about it, what the first one missed.

Carl

Carl, the first chainplate was not actually a chainplate it was just a test on a scrap to sort out how to fold and solder the loop. This is a final shape and now just needs cleaning up a little more.

Michael

Michael.

Love the chain plate with that little detail at the bottom.

You're a real craftsman but you are an artist also.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob thanks for those kind words. here is a link to a one man art show I had a few years ago.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/my30mm/library/artshow%20dec%2005?page=1

David Thanks for dropping by.

A long time ago I was given a block of Lignum Vitea, it is tough as nails but slippery, due to the oils within the structure of the wood.

First I made a dowel

post-202-0-51115600-1364016230.jpg

Then indexing along I cut the grooves for the shrouds and lower brackets.

post-202-0-79881700-1364016251.jpg

Then a different form tool to round the edges

post-202-0-85626400-1364016273.jpg

there is no sanding the finish is just from the tool.

post-202-0-60984500-1364016304.jpg

Next the blank was cut into smaller blanks with a jewelers.

post-202-0-46073400-1364016326.jpg

Then a small brass split chuck was made to hold the rough blanks

post-202-0-84056100-1364016340.jpg

The shaping tool for the face

post-202-0-12462600-1364016361.jpg

First one

post-202-0-19456200-1364016386.jpg

I am really impressed with the way this wood turns on the lathe.

post-202-0-02344400-1364016401.jpg

post-202-0-60219200-1364016414.jpg

Now I need to sort out a jig to drill the holes. That rope does look like old hemp rope.

Michael

Just incredible. I disappear for a bit and shazam... art.   Amazing deadeyes and chainplates.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Druxey, great to see the gallery art as well as the art you are creating with this build.

Some of your sculpture has sort of an Isamo Noguchi feel to it, love the juxtaposition of organic and precisely crafted elements.. (Sorry, i will I get warning points for pretentious artspeak in a model ship forum?  :huh: )

Anyway, really inspiring stuff!

you are so so clever.

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Druxey ,Mark, Bob, and Kevin, thank you so muck for those kind words.

I used the same slit chuck to drill the holes in the deadeyes.

post-202-0-67025400-1364143908.jpg

by adding the hose clamp it worked to hold the deadeye. and rotated on the 1/4 inch dowel held in the mill vice.

post-202-0-36906400-1364143910.jpg

I like to use a centre drill for the wood sometimes especially since the holes were close to the curved part of the deadeye.

post-202-0-03861200-1364143912.jpg

post-202-0-40630700-1364143913.jpg

After threading the rope through the deadeyes they look to be OK proportion wise.

post-202-0-32034200-1364143915.jpg

post-202-0-39676900-1364143906.jpg

Now I just have to finish the rest of them.

Michael

Michael,

Sharp indeed, maybe change the colour of the rope between the deadeyes to get some contrast ...

Carl

Michael,

The chain plate, deadeye and lanyard all look good. 

Will there be an easy way to release them when you want to lower the mast for transit?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael:

Taking a second look, are your deadeyes aligned properly? I think they should be turned around opposite so that the middle hole of the upper deadeye is at the top and the one on the lower deadeye is at the bottom. I do not know why I did not see the first time around.

Russ

Hi Michael,

if you turn these crack deadeyes through 180° ( the holes for the middle loops to be at the uppermost and lowermost corner of this triangular setup)  they will work and look properly. At least that´s the way I´ve always seen them rigged. Must have to do with the stability of the wood itself.

My chapeau to your work, man. Nosing into your log has become one of my daily treats.

Germanus

Russ,

Nobody saw it, because we were all blinded by the bright and shiny quality of the work!!!

Carl

Carl, bob, John, Thanks for looking in.

Carl you mentioned a contrast in colour, I thought there was already quite a contrast.

Russ, Thanks for the heads up, These are not actually attached to anything at the moment Just looking at the overall proportions.

I am going to use some black thread to make the shrouds I think I will be able to make the length just long enough without lengthening the rope walk.

Michael

Russ, Germanus, Carl, John. thanks for your thoughts, and information.

Here is a correction, and this is just to get a sense of what I am dealing with.

post-202-0-55269200-1364164071.jpg

post-202-0-55245800-1364164069.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott