HMS Triton 1:48 (cross section) by Kevin

whilst I wait for access to the Plans, i decided to have a look at external planking and get away from glue sand and hide by painting attitude

So i copied a frame from the Mantua HMS Victory in 1:98 scale plans, and cut 4 halves "the same Frame number) and glued to a piece of timber, trying to ensure they are all vevel as i have no keel

They have no scale representation in the format they are in but as all four are the same i get a even hull shape

even the wales are not in the right place, but i have no better way of doing this at present

lol i am eve chamfering the edges - never done that before

post-846-0-16351300-1414842016_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-93466400-1414842017_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-00028000-1414842020_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-53403000-1414842022_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Well a lot more learnt today

regardless as to weather the wales are in the correct place or not i did 3 sections of planking in 3 different woods to see any colours i preferred

the thicknesser i am using is completely of calibration, when putting through one side is continually 1mm thinner than the other so the planking is not working very well

my chamfering need to improve, to many gaps

stop using c/a glue

but considering no plans or anything to go by - i am well happy

post-846-0-03566800-1414855758_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-03023400-1414855761_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice work on the test pieces.   Do you have plans access yet?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work on the test pieces.   Do you have plans access yet?

NO not yet

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Top Pear

Middle Cherry

Bottom Maple

at this stage it was dampened down - post sanding, i dont know what varnish to use, or if to try tree nailing it before

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

thank you very much

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Welcome to the dark side and a lot of fun with your build

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

im having fun, but not doing so well, i will post some photo in a few hours

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

You are very wise Kevin doing some experimentation with your tools before starting 'proper'.One thing to keep in mind is that I doubt there is a builder in existence that makes every piece perfect first time.Don't be discouraged if you find yourself 'feeding' the scrap bin.Making mistakes helps you learn more than doing everything right first time.The beauty of scratchbuilding is it is only another piece of wood,as opposed to a kit part which isn't so easy to replace.

I find using homemade sanding sticks to produce bevels on planks gives you far more control than using a normal sanding block.After trying nearly all the varnishes available in the UK(yes we cannot get half the products mentioned on this forum),I have settled on what Chris Watton uses,Ronseal Ultra tough matt coat.It is very versatile and can also be thinned and sprayed for exceptional results(however you would need something with a decent nozzle size for this,rather than a small airbrush nozzle).

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel Thankyou

its a steep learning curve for me, kits have everything i want, (lol apart from not  wanting a kit)

so far today i have printed the plans of frame 0 and then cut out the 11 individual bits

cut my Pear down to planks of 50mm x 5mm

used copydex to secure plans to the pear

learnt how to tune the scroll saw

and had an attempt at shaping all the bits - been my biggest headache so far

within a few hours i will have made frame zero (not very well) but as stated before i am teaching myself how to do this, next weekend i will do it again and hopefully be better

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

well i give my self 2/10, one of them for being a sunday

too many big gaps,i need to improve a sanding technique, what a great day, and looking forward to Lewis winning the F1 race will make it just perfect

post-846-0-47927200-1414938146_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-65085700-1414938152_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-87314000-1414938154_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-59307500-1414938156_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-57186500-1414938158_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-39460800-1414938160_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-19523500-1414938162_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin, I admire your willingness to share your journey - warts and all, building frames continues to intimidate me so seeing a less than perfect result is actually quite inspiring - and I do mean that in a positive way. We often only ever see the perfect results so I'm really enjoying seeing you through this process.  Keep at it, you're doing great.

All the best

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

That's not a bad first attempt at frames.  I think my first frames ran to about 5 before I got the hang of it.  I'm still learning and I still have a certain amount that end up in the scrap bin.  Luckily for me, the scrap bin is always hungry. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To be honest Kevin,my scroll saw work looks the same.I cut well away from the line and sand back to shape.I feel I have more control and this method I find twenty times quicker than trying to get perfection from the machine.I enclose a pic of my 'secret weapon' :D cheap sanding drum in the bench top pillar drill.For mass sanding sessions I have a piece of wood slightly larger than the drum that I clamp to the table.A disc sander is useful for the outside profile,but I have yet to purchase one of those.I use this set up for rough sanding of everything I cut out on the scroll saw ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-23970300-1414945452_thumb.jpg

Nigel 

i have no confidence in the scroll saw, new blades in it and adjusted to be taught- it still keeps snagging the wood

i did the initial seperation of all the parts and then went around them again leaving a lot to sand, which i did the same way as you,

Next weekend i will try and cut along the blue/red lines and see  if in the mean time  get hold of an alternative scroll saw

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

On the scroll saw... make sure that the blade has at least 3 teeth on the wood.  You might be using a blade that too coarse.  Too fine and it tends to wander.  Pluck the blade... I think it's supposed to be "High C" but I have a tin ear so hell if I know what that is.  Also, blade speed can be a factor.  don't force it, just let it cut on it's own.  I have my saw cutting rather slow to give me a bit more control.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Kevin

My scroll is a cheap and cheerful one.I don't know how much better things would be with a more expensive one.At the moment I am not willing to part with 300 quid to find out.If yours is like mine,the recessed section where the blade goes through is the cause for the timber trying to 'jump'.There is an added issue if you are cutting pear,there are hard and soft spots throughout this timber that can send the blade wandering.When I cut ply and boxwood things are much,much easier.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

i think i have found the problem, i was just out playing with it, and it well, packed up on me, pre empted by some smoke and a bang

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Oh dear,now you do really face the dilemma,cheap and cheerful,or proper money :rolleyes: Only advise I would offer is go for one that takes plain ended blades,not just pinned.There is a vast selection of blades available plain ended,unlike the pinned which my saw uses :(

Kind Regards

Nigel

wife has suggested a hegner muticut 1 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

If my wife suggested that,I wouldn't argue :D .I have googled them and can't believe you can spend up to £1800 on one :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o .Seriously though,the dust blower is a useful inclusion,mine has a manual version :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

image_5430.jpg

£359.00

thats a lot of money but the reviews seam ok, in fact i dont see a bad one, but thats would be the HMS Druid money used up

- lol oh the dilema

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I've heard very good things about the Hegner saws Kevin.  I have an Excalibur saw, which I think cost around the same sort of money - it's a dream to use. Investing in quality tools is worthwhile - at least then there is only one source left to blame! :P And by the time you've finished your Triton cross section, you'll have saved enough money again for your Druid build and gained plenty of experience in the tool as well.  Happy Days! :) 

A little band saw could be an alternative Kevin. I used them to saw out 90% (ca.) of the frame parts. I put a saw band for slightly curves in it and that worked very well. For sanding I use the same technical as Nigel shows

Thank you for the advice, appreciated

I went for the Hegner in the end and ordered it last night, maybe I will never get my head around scratch building, and perhaps never achieve anything of any standard, but as mentioned - it wont be the tools - lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Found you !!!!!!

A new project and not an easy one.......

So you also take a plunge to the dark side.

With your skills it should be not that difficult.

I will follow you from now on.

Don't ask me things because I don't know what you are doing....I'm just gonna read and watch the pictures.

So a lot of pictures please !!!!!!!

Sjors

Please follow Sjors

you have my permission not to ask questions

I will not know the answer anyway

I hope to have full practice number two this weekend

hope to show some improvement

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished