Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by Jack Panzeca - 1:48 Scale - Cross-Section

The first picture is the junk pile.  Treenail (bolt) tests and joinery practice.  Some were not bad some are awful.

post-9182-0-41011700-1424443522_thumb.jpg

The next pictures are of frame 4A & 4B.  The practice is paying off.  I did all 40 ebony bolts even though, the best I can tell, when the model is finished only the 2 at the small chocks (8 total) will be visible.  Good practice.  A lot of sanding yet to go.

post-9182-0-31258200-1424443095_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-36651200-1424443116_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-80678300-1424443140_thumb.jpg

This sure is fun.  The emotional reward of finally getting it right is huge.

Thanks to all the "likes" always appreciated.  Special thanks to the rest of the group, their assistance is enormously helpful.

The rest of the double frames are next.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Great work Jack. The practice has obviously paid off in spades! I know what you mean about the feeling of finally getting it right. :)

Can I have your old ones please Jack. :D

Well done mate that's as close to perfection as you can get. :dancetl6:

BE Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

G'day Jack...

I wish my good pile was as good as your "junk". All I can say mate you're a perfectionist!

I reckon a blind man would be glad to see your junk pile!!!

Keep up with it, your efforts are paying off.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Ken, Grant, Ben, David, mobbsie and Greg,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.   Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly and since I am a late bloomer in this area it does take some practice.  I attempted model ship building 15 years ago or so and without the MSW community I stalled pretty quickly.  Now whenever help is needed it is right here.  Special thanks to Grant and mobbsie who started this group build and kindly allowed me to tag along.  I learn something new from them every day.

Thanks again to all the "Likes".

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have reached a milestone of sorts so I thought it was time for an update.  

The five double frames are complete.  They took a long time to finish but by the end I had a good system down and the scarphs and chocks had gotten easier and more consistent.  The single frames should go much faster.  But who is in a hurry, this is a hobby after all.

post-9182-0-68511100-1426092459_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-98492700-1426092484_thumb.jpg

I used a variation of the mobbsie/Grant method for the scarphs.  The razor saw was used to cut the side line and a tiny Ryoba that I bought in Japan decades ago to cut the long side.  With the futtock in the vice the saw lays really flat and it is simple to cut to the razor saw line.  Then a quick dressing with a file and it is done.

post-9182-0-70698900-1426095821_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-48166200-1426096259_thumb.jpg

The five double frames.

post-9182-0-16297100-1426092509_thumb.jpg

This is one of the middle frames.

post-9182-0-93293600-1426092531_thumb.jpg

The D frame, which is the front end of the model, has a coat of Wipe On Polly just to see how it will look.  The contrast with the ebony bolts is nice.

post-9182-0-67491500-1426092555_thumb.jpg

If you click on this macro photo to enlarge it you can actually see the sandpaper scratches in the ebony bolts.  180 grit was used.  Photography stuff fascinates me.

post-9182-0-81502400-1426092573_thumb.jpg

Only rough sanding has been done, the plan is to do all the finish work at once when the single frames are complete as well.  I do not plan to attach anything until she is a lot further  along.

Thanks to all those who follow and the "Likes".  Special thanks to Grant and mobbsie for all their help.

I have been practicing on my Sherline lathe so that I can get get good enough to turn the cannon and mortar out of ebony when the time comes.

Thanks for looking.

Jack

Thanks Grant,

When exactly do you sleep?  You are an equal hemispheric communicator.  Well, good morning down there, I think.

Jack

Hey Jack,

I sent that last one while having breakfast. My morning ritual - breakfast while reading the latest on MSW. It doesn't get much better than this! :)

I wonder how you can live with yourself Jack, how can you leave those sanding marks on those bolts, should be ashamed of yourself. :D  :D:P  

Simply superb mate, I take my hat off to you.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

G'day Jack

Great details and workmanship. You done it again with another outstanding show of your precise craft. .......Well done. BTW I know it's only a hobby, and you take your time, but you have to think of us, your readers who are waiting for more post. LOL

Enjoy!

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Hey Carl, Grant, mobbsie and Greg,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  I really am enjoying the process.  

Grant, I do most of the cutting in the morning and assembly in the afternoon.  The Admiral requires a little attention in the evening.  That keeps my shipyard privileges in place.  

mobbsie, don't worry I will make those scratches go away.  I certainly could not see them with the naked eye.  I did not know that they were there until I enlarged the photo.

Greg, full speed ahead for me is dead slow for Grant and mobbsie.    :D  :D

Thanks to the "Likes" and thanks to all for looking.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Jack This is my first model and i know nothing about the wood . Can you give me the list of the wood you buy for make this model . (On the 2 January photos )  Thank You    

Gentlegiant

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vivian,

How are you?  Thanks for checking in.   :D  :D

Hi Gentlegiant,

Sorry that I have taken so long to answer.  I just forgot.  

Anyway, the wood list for the Granado was prepared by gjdale and it is an amazing and massive piece of work.  We have chosen to "Paint with Wood" so the wood types for each part of the model are critical.  I do not think that I should passing his efforts around but if you visit his log or send a PM he should be able to help.  

Jack

Time for another update.  Unfortunately, my pace has slowed due to a consulting gig that has been looming for a while and has finally kicked in.  I hate it when real life gets in the way of my hobbies. 

The frames are completed.  At least they are made, there is still a lot of work to do to call them "complete" and glue them into their permanent home. It is a shame that when I finally get them figured out there are no more of them to do.  They are fitted loosely and the first double frame has a coat of Wipe-On Poly.  The rest are very raw with a lot of sanding left to do.

post-9182-0-21987000-1429286822_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-99388100-1429286801_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-83511100-1429286854_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-12224400-1429286871_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-79088100-1429286893_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-47162000-1429286912_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-38214900-1429286937_thumb.jpg

The next step is to do the frame cutouts for the gun-ports, sweeps, etc.  

Grant:  I hope that you are doing well, I will still never catch up!    :wub:  :wub:   Good luck on your recovery.

Thanks for looking in and thanks to all the "likes", always appreciated.

Jack

Jack,

Nice to see an update from you and your frames are looking great. At least by being a little behind, you have avoided the trap that both Mobbsie and I fell into with the gunport/sweep cutouts! Don't worry about pace - it's not a race but a mutually supportive build. The routine is that Mobbsie races ahead and finds all the traps, I come along and re-learn the same lessons, and then you get the benefit of both our mistakes! :P

My recovery is going well, thank you. I hope to be able to finish assembling the shell room this weekend, though I'm still not allowed near power tools - have to wait until I'm off the pharamceuticals for that! ;)

G'day Jack

I'm wondering: Is there a collation between time between posts and the quality of excellence? In your case there is......a flawless piece of work!

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

I was really pleased to get these little devils out of the way, I cant believe you are disappointed they are completed. :unsure:

You've done a wonderful job on them, well done.

Onwards and upwards mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks Carl, Grant, Greg and mobbsie as well as the "Likes".

Well, once again real life is getting in the way of my model building.  I used to build multiplex cinemas before I retired and I have had a consulting gig looming for a while.  It has been encroaching on my shipyard time to some extent but lately it has taken on a life of it's own.  I have not done any work on the Bomb Vessel since my last update.  I have been in the shipyard but my workbench has been converted into a desk.  It is covered with paper instead of sawdust, very sad.  

I have been prepping for a 6 to 8 week job site stay to finish off a small cinema in a small town in Oklahoma.  I was the consultant for the original design several years ago and it makes sense that I should come back for the finish (shorter learning curve).  I start next Sunday and I hope to get home on future Sundays but I am not counting on it.

The good news is that it will help extend the retirement money and I have been thrilled to realize that I still remember how to do this.  The job site exercise will be good for me too.

I will still check in to MSW from the hotel room, watching with envy as Grant and mobbsie continue to get even further ahead.  Grant is right about the benefit of have their roadmap to follow when I do get to work on mine again.

Talk to you soon.  

I'll be back! (Terminator2)

Jack

Hey Jack,

Good news about the opportortunity for some extra play money! It's a pity that it means a break from the shipyard, but your cross-section will still be there waiting patiently for your return, as will we.

In starting work on the upper deck framing, I discovered an error in the plans yesterday (I think), and also in a couple of my spreadsheet dimensions. I'll post a PM to the group later today with the corrections.

Go earn the pennies mate, I'm sure you could find something to spend it on.

The build will still be there when your done and were a patient lot.

Good luck with the project and I hope all turns out well for you.

See you on your return.

Be Safe

mobbsie

mobbsie

Jack,

What Carl said.... those of us who are following will wait.  Something are more important than a model... Did I just say that?  :D  :D :D  :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 months later...

Jack,

I miss seeing updates on your Granado Cross Section and hope you are doing well.  I know your shipyard must be calling you.  It is a shame that "Work" takes away from modeling time.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat