WORKSHOP CHAIR

Hello Fellow Modelers,

iI have been on hiatus from modeling. Work and other things. But i have made head way to get back to it.  I am building my garage modeling/wood shop. I just completed my new floor.

I am looking at shop chairs. preferably with armrests. It will be a standing and sitting shop. i am making my benches  to accommdate both.

You all have any ideas pictures or web sites. Like to see all options. I thank you for your time and ideas.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

I have a comfortable office chair because I hoped to sit in it for long periods.  Whatever you get for yourself, don't forget the folding chairs for the friends that may stop by. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I opted for an office chair (no arms) and a wooden kitchen stool for the tall workbenches.  I had some lab chairs where I used to work they just wouldn't go low enough for the desk. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Having just moved into my garage that I built 2x4 rather than 4mm x .5mm i have been standing a lot building ships and clocks. I must admit that i find it much easer to stand most of the time, you are much more flexible stood up than sat, I have good rubber mats on the floor music to rock to and you never have to move the chair when you have dropped the smallest piece you have ever made or even roll the chair back over the smallest part you have ever made destroying it!!!!! Time will tell if I sit but for now standings better for my heath 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

I used metal stools for a long time in the shop. What I found was they did not hold up well to me moving around, swiveling between tools etc. FInally I broke down and bought a chair from Safeco (on Amazon). It was certainly more expensive than stools, but it rolls, has a back, cushioned, and is made of a high quality rubberized material that wipes off well so dust is no issue. It comes with an optional back which I also really like. Heavy very well made chair.

I have had it a month or so now and really like it. Much more comfortable than the previous stools I had in there.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Office chair with back rest removed. It allows me to swivel back and forth between my work table and desk.

Painted floor in my garage (around work bench) white so I could find those little things that seem to disappear with a blink of the eye.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

While I use an office chair "inside" (ie in the allegedly "clean" work area), in the garage where I have all of the "dirty" machines, I opted for a hairdresser's saddle stool. As the name implies the seat is very like a saddle, and the rollers are actually from in-line skates. It works very well in moving from tool to tool (those where it's safe to operate sitting down). I use it for scroll saw work, disc sanding, mill work, and some lathe work. I have bad hips and get a sore back after standing for only short periods, so the saddle stool is great.

The next mod will be a new hip - coming soon........

I have an "L" shape work bench & use a swivelling office chair so I can swing from side to side. I removed a deep pile carpet to help find the odd small piece that drops on the floor. Have you ever tried finding a 3mm block in a 4mm carpet !? B)

I am considering lying down to work as I will be close to all the bits and pieces that I drop.

When I have tried this out I will report back.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I have a drafting chair that has a good back and a pneumatic up and down control that is real good for changing your work height and this helps with keeping me comfortable at whatever I am working on.  Lower it and I am at eye level with the deadeyes and raise it all the way up and I can work on the tops.  Regardless of your bench height you can be comfortable.  Most stationary stores carry these chairs.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Well, I tried lying down to do some work. No good. I fell asleep and when I awoke I could not remember why I was on the floor.

I have just realised that I cannot remember when last I had a good idea. I hope they haven't gone for good. Scary!

Mike.

Ps. sorry for interrupting  this serious topic.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

thank you all for your feedback.

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER