USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

She looks spectacular, Matt !! The "colourations" you have given her throughout make it seem like she was built a century or more ago !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I think Steve nails it with regards to the model's look; it has a beautiful patina that really stands out to me.

Very nicely done, Matt.   The aging and rigging look perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Matt,  If you decide on sails I think that if you furled them the effect would be perfect.

David B

Good morning Matt - concur with Mark - particularly with regard to the coloring / aging.  Very nice.

- Bug

Outstanding!! work Matt....... really love the look!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you George, Robb, CaptainSteve, CH, Mark, David, Bug, Frank, miloman, and Boyd for your kind words of encouragement. Also thanks to all who hit the like button.

Finally got the re-rigging(aged ropes) finished on the 12inch smooth bore. It turned out to be quite interesting to remove and replace the ropes with the cannon affixed in place. So if anyone needs a lobotomy???

Any how, I picked up some muslin to begin working on the sail. Turns out it's almost exact to the kit supplied sailcloth so let the experimentations commence. I also found a blank, white handkerchief swatch in one of my vintage boxes of DMC and am trying a few coloring methods for the sails. Now I just need to get my hands on a yard of the hanky material. It's so thin you can see through it, so I'm not quite sure how it'll work out.

One thing I've been searching for and haven't found yet, is the order in which the sails would be set from the furled position. I'm thinking of having a sail or two opened to the wind, but not sure which one(s) that would be. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

post-17116-0-80863900-1450530749_thumb.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I'm not a sail expert, but wouldn't it partly depend on the conditions and context? My limited understanding is that topsails were generally used for light maneuverability in square-rigged ships, so in theory would often be the first set from a standstill, but I'm not sure of the procedure on a schooner rig.

Never been on a sailing ship myself Matt, but it would seem to make sense to set them according to how strong the wind is.  The stronger the wind, the lower on the mast to reduce stress on the mast.  Just guessing of course.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

From the bits and pieces I've read, the topmost sails were set first.  The Brits knew the fleet was coming out prior to the Battle of Trafalgar because the French and Spanish were setting the top gallants and top royals.  I'm sure there's some books around that would describe this process... but darned if I know which ones.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It would seem that you guys are all correct. As CH said, conditions would determine order of setting sail. These vids give a good idea of the workings. Thank you guys for the input. I think Robb asked about this awhile back so hopefully this helps me, Robb and others to come up with new ideas for sail set up!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 1 month later...

Very nice work Matt !  --  and cool videos too.

Look forward to following along -

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Great!! videos .... thanks for posting those Matt..... the rigging on those ships is amazing!! ..... if I order some rope from  Chuck in the future

I'm going to see if he can do white , that way i can color it to get that nice grey look to it.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't want anyone to think I fell of the earth. These sails are taking quite some time to achieve, what I feel to be, satisfactory status.

So here's a couple of photos of the figure head for Nutz Pirate Ship. I used ebony both for color and it's a nice wood to carve. Pocket knife and dremel diamond grinding bits were used to make this mediocre representation of the human skull. Unlike other figure heads, this won't be attached to the bow, but sit atop the point of the bowsprit.

post-17116-0-61395700-1454701198_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-65606300-1454701213_thumb.jpeg

Nice job on the skull Matt! Are you going to fly The Jolly Roger. That flag, associated with pirates, actually originated in the 13th century with the Knights Templar flying it to invoke terror.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Awesome figurehead, Matt .... it looks almost as though it has been carved into a rock-face !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

nice work Matt....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Mediocre representation??????  What???  I don't think so, sir.  Looks great to my eyes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I agree with Mark!  If that's mediocre - please don't ever look at any of my build logs.   :P 

- Bug

• 1 month later...

Thanks George, CaptainSteve, Frank, Mark, Cathead, Bug and everyone for the encouragement and the likes.

Well I've slowly made progress on the sails, finally! The process to get where the sails look worn and weathered was quite the expedition. I also chose to add a mixture of full and furled sails.

First, every tenth thread was removed to simulate sewn together sailcloth. I did them at 18inches instead of the typical two feet because it looked more aesthetic at this scale. Then the bolt ropes and edge sewing was done. I mixed 4 parts water, 1 part white glue and 1 part natural grey Minwax and applied to the sails on both sides.

At the location of the removed threads, cuts were randomly made. Then the sails were worked over with a wire wheel and any frayed threads were trimmed. After the sails were rigged and attached, then they were burnt, very carefully so I wouldn't lose the whole ship.

There's still a few lines that will be added once the rest of the sails are installed. If things go well, I hope to have the sails done in the next couple of weeks. Then there will be some of the finer detailed items to be made up and installed.

post-17116-0-53397700-1458663658_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-25982700-1458663603_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-75177300-1458663317_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-23322800-1458663363_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-85659700-1458663412_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-15790300-1458663389_thumb.jpeg

Outstanding work weathering those sails Matt! She absolutely looks the part of a "weather-beaten", scary pirate-ship!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

That's quite a process you've done..... they really look like they've been around the horn a couple times thru some pretty bad weather...

nice work!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Those sails look awesome, Matt. She really looks like she has been through one heck of a battle. I can only wonder what the other guy looks like after a fight like that !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Methinks you have captured the essence of this ship with the sails, Matt.  Dark and moody.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Matt, your sails are so-o-o beat! :)  Like the Cap'n said; what's the other guy look like? :rolleyes:  Well done!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild