SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

I agree with the above comments Nils!! :) what else can i say?

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Beautifully executed work on a beautiful ship!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nils,

Just really catching up !! on your beautiful build log. I'm ,again, finally receiving emails on the many builds that I am following (switched to a gmail address here at MSW)

SO I could have clicked "like" more than 30 times since September, but did not want to overwhelm your inbox. (:-) Beautiful as has been said so many times about your work.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

thank you so much -  John - Dimitris - Don - Piet - Bob (Rafine) - Michael - David,

for your Kind and nice words, comments and appreciations, that is very much appreciated

also all those who expressed their "likes" by pressing the appropriate button

post-3445-0-91480900-1448895385_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-46836600-1448895388_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43202900-1448895390_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-84279000-1448895392_thumb.jpg

I am now putting in a break with the KWdG build, before I begin with the top superstructure, railings, decks, etc,  in order to proceed with my "HMS Pegasus" and get her out under the dust protection foil.......

post-3445-0-78392900-1448796103_thumb.jpg

Nils 

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks like the pin points did the job.  Fine work.  I wanted to click "like" on your stern pictures but every time I tried I was told there was an error.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob,

thanks for your appreciation, yes, after pressing a thin sewing needle through the chord, I sharpened a 0,5 mm brass pin and presssed it through the chord and the plating into the hull, it works good and holds the decoration nicely in place

Sorry there is an error with your "likes" button, is this same procedure with other logs ?, other members are coming through allright...

BTW any Progress ready for posting on "Pequot" side ?

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

On your later entry I was able to "like".  It was just that one entry.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nils -- I honestly don't know what to say . . . these pictures are utterly stunning.  And any other comment is insuffucient.

And now more work on the Pegasus?!  Fantastic, can't wait to see what magic you work there.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin and Crackers,

thanks very much for your Kind and nice comments I like very much, they are well appreciated..... :) :)

also for those that expressed their "likes" :)

to this first Phase of the build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Hartmut,

for your Input on this....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautifully crafted, details and all. Love how you did the screws. Noticed that the plans are pretty big the way they are spread out. Detailed enough to put it all on the ship.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marc,

The plan is giving a general (side view) overall sectional drawing and several decks in bird`s view. For building the model I enlarged the former file I borrowed from the web and made it large enough on paper to suit 1:1 model / plan, for the build in scale 1:144

Of course there has to be some design work for establishing the lines- and frameplan, like I described earlier in the build`s  posts

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks very much Tom,

I`m glad that you enjoyed the build so far

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Nils,

After having joined this wonderful community for a short while ago I have followed your extraordinary build very carefully. All superlatives have been said already many times and I fully agree with them.

However one question has not been answered before, which I have in mind, namely: Which brand of self adhering aluminum tape are you using for plating, and where are you purchasing that?

I remember already 50 years ago when building models of WW2 fighters we used to use aluminum foil with riveting made with small gears dismantled from old alarm clocks, but the foil didn't have this self adhering film. The foil was glued into aeroplane wings and hull with contact glue, but that was a messy and not always succesful method.

So your way to do this seems to be a superior procedure, and could be the way if I ever should need to copy a riveted surfaces at my builds.

At the same time I wish a very best New Year to you, your family and all the colleagues at the forum!

Matti

Edited by Moxis

Hello Nils,

After having joined this wonderful community for a short while ago I have followed your extraordinary build very carefully. All superlatives have been said already many times and I fully agree with them.

However one question has not been answered before, which I have in mind, namely: Which brand of self adhering aluminum tape are you using for plating, and where are you purchasing that?

I remember already 50 years ago when building models of WW2 fighters we used to use aluminum foil with riveting made with small gears dismantled from old alarm clocks, but the foil didn't have this self adhering film. The foil was glued into aeroplane wings and hull with contact glue, but that was a messy and not always succesful method.

So your way to do this seems to be a superior procedure, and could be the way if I ever should need to copy a riveted surfaces at my builds.

At the same time I wish a very best New Year to you, your family and all the colleagues at the forum!

Matti

Hello Matti,

thanks for dropping in and thanks for your words.....

Relating to the used alum. tape, unfortunately I ca`nt find the brand name anymore, and its not printed on the roll. I remember (must be back in 2008 or so) when I made out a company per web search, they would`nt sell to end users, and it needed some persuading to  purchase a roll of appr. minimum 50 meters in 100 mm width.

It had waxed paper back for peeling off and had a very good self adhering glue-film. The thickness without gluefilm is 0,125 mm, with gluefilm 0,2 mm.

At that time I was building my steamship "Heinrich Kayser", wich I wanted to fit out with "riveted" plating. I tried the technique on my "Bohuslän" steamschip with a smaller tooth-module for the ponce toothwheels. The result was very good, so also the riveted tallships got foil platings. The 50 meter roll is now slowly coming to the end but I never thought that it would last in minimum for 5 of my metal plated "riveted" ships. I was anxious that it would`nt last for the KWdG, but luckily it did.

Todays it should be possible more easy to make out a company per web research that produces or distributes an adequate foil, and that possibly also sells to end-users. I`m very sorry not being able to help you with the brand name, its been too long ago and unfortunately I did`nt save a copy of the purchase order

Matti I wish you a good and successful new year

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Matti,

it did`nt leave my mind running idle......., just found an old hand written note...., the company is RIB, and is meanwhile an Web-onlineshop in Germany 

http://www.rib-gmbh.de/epages/rib-gmbh.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/rib-gmbh/Categories/MetallKlebebaender

The product`s name is now : Janus AF 427

Hoping this will be of use to you....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Happy New Year Nils, may you be Prosperous and be in Health

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Happy New Year Nils, may you be Prosperous and be in Health

Best Regards,

Pete

A happy new year to you as well Pete,

and much fun and pleasure with this fine hobby...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful Nils. I am going to place my order for these immediately. From time to time it comes needs to build something that looks like made of metal with all the rivets and boltheads, so this is an answer to my prayers. Thanks a lot!

Matti

Matti,

I`m glad to have been able to help,

wish you much success with that material, hope we shall see some results in usage with your build logs one day...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Happy New Year Nils and hope to see you resuming the work on beautiful ship.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you very much Piet,

wishing you also, my freind,  a nice and successful year, by good health and all time fun in modeling.....

Piet, I`ll start the glass display case for my completed HMS Pegasus next weekend, and then, after that resume the work on the KWdG

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed