SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Nils, your models are always a pleasure to view and this one is no exception. A great subject.

Happy New Year to you and many more to come.

Dan.

Thank you very much Dan,

and a happy new year to you as well....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lovely work on the hull so far Nils, a happy new year to you and your family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for your wishes and your nice comment Michael,

I`m hoping to get the decks, the upper superstructure, etc. under way this year...

Am looking very much forward to the next sequences of your Buzzards Bay 14 build

A happy new year to you and your family

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nils and Happy New Year to you too.

I will be following along this coming year and looking forward to many excellent developments.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I am new to this site and model ship building and after reading your build log I am quite demoralised and wonder about my ability to build even a basic model. The ship looks amazing and the work that has gone into it is staggering. Even more so when one considers that it was a scratch build. You are an builder of the highest calibre. Thank you for providing us all with a look at the work and mind of a true artist.

PhillB

I am new to this site and model ship building and after reading your build log I am quite demoralised and wonder about my ability to build even a basic model. The ship looks amazing and the work that has gone into it is staggering. Even more so when one considers that it was a scratch build. You are an builder of the highest calibre. Thank you for providing us all with a look at the work and mind of a true artist.

PhillB

Hi Phil

Nils is a true master, but pls don't forget, that we all started at the same point, with limited knowledge and skills, initially. Pls don't be demoralised. Just give it a go and you'd be amazed at what you can do!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Phil,

100% agree w Patrick. Yes...Nils work is just beautiful and like the other master builders on MSW, there is no way I can match his work. But I let their work teach and encourage me and I simply enjoy following along as they work on their masterpieces.

So, please, find a nice, starter kit that you love, really want to build and then start your build log if you haven't already. Then the MSW community can watch, enjoy your build and also help here and there if you need it! I'll watch for your log!  :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

PhillB

Hi Phil,

thanks for you your appreciating words. .....

Please do`nt put yourself down in any way and have the strong confedence to start with a fine basic model, and enjoy the achieved results from one build sequence to the next. I can fully second what Patrick and Nigel are saying in view of encouraging yourself whilst you are learning, there is really no reason at all to be demoralised. You have chosen a beautiful hobby.  Looking foreward to your first build log....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils is a true master, but pls don't forget, that we all started at the same point, with limited knowledge and skills, initially. Pls don't be demoralised. Just give it a go and you'd be amazed at what you can do!

I concur completely. Contrary to the myth "that you cannot teach old dogs new tricks" you certainly can.

Nils how many ship models have you built over the years?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I concur completely. Contrary to the myth "that you cannot teach old dogs new tricks" you certainly can.

Nils how many ship models have you built over the years?

Michael

Thank you Michael,

in answer to your question.....,

I have just let the  builds (not all were completely finished), pass my mind, and I count 13 ships plus the "KWdG, work in progress"

5 of them were kit-builds (Billing Boats) and 9 are scratch builds. In my active business years there was a rather large pause, due to lack of time for this hobby

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Phil, none of us started out as master craftsmen but as we build we get better.  So start a boat with a build log, we're all here to help.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I concur with all that has been said Phil.  And never be afraid of making a mistake or asking a question.  If someone does neither then they have never learned or done anything.

David B

bench top pioneers!

hull looks awesome Nils......another masterpiece in the making  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your appreciative word Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

What can I say!! Your level of detail and workmanship amazes me Nils.  

Robert

Hi Robert,

thanks for dropping in and for your words, I`m glad the build finds your interest

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 29

I`m continuing with the build......

Today a trial is made for doing the scoop-typ vents. I found some staggered sizes of nickle-galnanized tin sheet. These usualy are mounted as foot / stand buttons to shopping bags. Together with short lengths on different diam. brass tubing (soft soldering) the can be transformed into  nice looking nostalgic vents. The fastening strips have to be removed from the buttons first. The radial hole for the tube is drilled into the side of the button and the grinded to suit the fit for soldering

The first and smallest prototype for the two forecastle vents is made in rough version. Will probably mount a "rivited skin" to the tube and two handles for setting to the airflow. There must be round about 100 vents in all sizes on this ship

Nils

post-3445-0-16747400-1453909119_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93480800-1453909123_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-98232000-1453909120_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-38836900-1453909122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, you have to be the master at re-purposing items from other disciplines.

Michael

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Crackers, Michael and Bob,

I`m glad it worked well, that gives encouragement to do all the other vents in the same way...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful vent.  Thanks for showing us how it's done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much Bob,

for the vent scoops I used to saw off the domes from M8- M12 acorn nuts, but I did`nt find any acorn nuts equipped with pressed in / welded thin metal sheet domes any more, so I had to find an alternative....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Martin,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very clever idea and it worked very well, Nils.  I never would have thought of doing that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you very much Mark, Crackers and Grant,

for your nice appreciations

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

That was quite imaginative the way you made the vents from tubing and some household items.  Nicely done!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for you compliment.....

I am just sitting at the ships pictures and the plan for the number of vents and sizes in order to see what I need (tubes and air scoops)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed