HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Thanks BE, Ferit, Augie & Andy for the comments! Much appreciated - yes this is a very small scale to work in....at some point in the far far future I'd like to scratch build this from the Goodwin book at 1:48 scale - it would be a bit of a monster, but would be a lot of fun! 

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Andy - I know it seems weird to go back and build something again...but when I consider the beauty of the vessel and the deficiencies of the Corel kit, and the existence of the Goodwin book....it is a tempting idea....anyway, such a project would be impossible for me at the moment....I have a few kits left to build and a lot of tools to buy (not to mention a bigger house with a proper workshop).....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Just helping to embed the idea firmly into your subconscious, where it will reside.......taunting you for years to come....... until there will come a day when you will no longer be able to tolerate the incessant droning in the back of your mind......... "build me.......Build me.......Build ME!"   :wacko:  :blink:

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So I've spent the last few days on the head of the ship - a scary part of the build for me, seeing as I have only ever built one set of head rails in my time and that was on my second build, the Sultana, about 3 years ago.....

Seeing as I had scratch built all of the cast parts to this point, I could not possibly use the metal cast head rails....at the same time, getting the right curves and overall shape into the rails was a bit difficult to conceive and to plan out. In the end, I used lime for the head cheeks and cheek knees, which ended up coming out fine. For the rails themselves I used some  4mm x 1.5mm beech left over from the Corel Toulonnaise build. This stuff is a special "bendable" beech that Corel included in that kit for the cap rails (and that I think is also included in the Bellona). I had to trim it down to 2mm x 1.5mm and taper and bend it to an appropriate shape, but I think they came out ok. 

For the head timbers I used 1/32" thick brass strip, blackened and then painted. At this scale I think the result is ok - and less crazy-making then trying to custom fit little pieces of wood! Cutting corners again!

It was difficult to think of how to finish the rails. Painting them a yellow ochre would have looked out of place (since there is no other yellow ochre on the build). I had thought black with a recessed molding painted yellow ochre, but in the end decided on just a straight black - if anyone has suggestions for adding colour details on the rails I would love to hear them - I don't think it's too late to take a stab at it....

Strangely, the element that ended up being most thorny in this part of the build were the hawse timbers. From Goodwin, there seemed to be a backing piece ( a simple rectangle) fronted by another smaller piece with half-round sections filed out for the hawse ports. As you'll see from the photos below, when I first installed them they looked really clunky and bad. I trimmed them down a bit and restained them and widened the holes and now they look better, though still far from perfect.

Unfortunately, I do not have photos of the construction process for the head rails - my phone was inaccessible while I was working and it's my only camera. In any case, here are the photos I do have....enjoy!

hamilton

1. I traced the inside line of the stem post on a piece of lime and carved it out. Then I traced the line with a compass set to 2mm

post-304-0-83952600-1377637829_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-72776900-1377637892_thumb.jpg

2. The head cheeks and cheek knees were then painted black - here you can see how rough the hawse timbers turned out at first....

post-304-0-87570600-1377637916_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-32777400-1377637955_thumb.jpg

3. Head timbers installed and unfinished

post-304-0-48569200-1377637985_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-23366300-1377638026_thumb.jpg

4. head rails finished

post-304-0-79611200-1377638059_thumb.jpg

5. head timbers installed

post-304-0-66385200-1377638096_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-11199500-1377638127_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-00239400-1377638156_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the head timbers.  I couldn't make those in 1,000 years.  The best part is the symmetry as seen from head-on.

Congrats!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You've done a great job there.

Head timbers are never easy (even ones in kits are bu***rs). Personally I think your colours are fine as they are, they match well with the ship.

What you may wish to consider (And it's entirely up to you, of course), is tying in the vertical head frames to the stem. Like this:

post-34-0-53288400-1360954968.jpg

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks Augie - after following your Syren I'm pretty positive you could do the head rails! In fact - won't you have to do them for the Confederacy? I'm sure you'll nail them

hamilton

Hi Andy:

Great shot! Your rails look perfect - I wish my build was as clean as yours....The real issue for me is maintaining the overall colour scheme and not adding anything new in one section of the build that isn't reflected elsewhere....I had thought about staining the rails with Golden Oak, and using black (or blue) on the vertical timbers, but this went out the window once I decided to use the Corel flexible beech instead of cutting the rails from a thicker sheet of lime....

This is certainly a tricky part of any build and I look forward to an opportunity to do better! 

hamilton

To be perfectly honest, the only thing I see hampering your build is the scale of the kit. You've done an absolutely amazing job of it so far, despite her small size, you don't need to be envious of my build. There's far less modifications (read: upgrades) to mine than you've had to perform.

Keep up the good work. :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks for the kind words, Andy! I definitely appreciate this coming from you!

hamilton

So another update - quicker than I thought.....Tonight I made the forecastle rail with belfry and installed some stanchions for rope railings around the companionway hatches - quite a bit of work. 

Here is the drawing of the foc'sl rail and belfry from Goodwin

post-304-0-99006900-1377672291_thumb.jpg

And here is the part supplied by Corel.

post-304-0-04928600-1377672457_thumb.jpg

The Corel part is designed to serve as the forward support for the spare spars that are used for propping up the ship's boat. Since I built a set of forward gallows to perform this function, I could easily dispense with the Corel design and go with Goodwin's drawing. I used lime throughout - 2mm x 2mm for the timberheads, 1.5mm x 3mm for the belfry posts, 3mm x .5mm for the rail and the base, and 4mm x 4mm piece shaped to make the belfry roof. Here are some of the belfry parts - very straightforward.

post-304-0-87802000-1377672486_thumb.jpg

I used the Corel belfry roof as a template for my own, laying it down on the 4mm x 4mm stock and tracing around it...

post-304-0-32170000-1377672510_thumb.jpg

I then just cut it to shape.

post-304-0-33909600-1377672563_thumb.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Corel foc'sl rail and my own, in process...

post-304-0-26407200-1377673346_thumb.jpg

It seems I'm unable to upload any more photos with this post, so I'll continue in a new one

hamilton

Here are a couple of shots of the completed belfry....you'll notice the knees installed in the second shot....

post-304-0-05956100-1377673992_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-45005200-1377674013_thumb.jpg

And finally, here's a shot of the stanchions for the rail around the aft companionway hatch on the main deck - self-explanatory....

post-304-0-05999900-1377674037_thumb.jpg

Thanks for coming by!

hamilton

That's impressive work, getting the subtle curves and fineness of the head rails is difficult at any scale and using timber, even flexible beech, at 1:100 scale is a severe test.

I would certainly have approached the job with a fair degree of trepidation, and probably cheated looking at styrene strip as a substitute if the finished job were to be painted.

On my Pegasus build I used lining strip as masking to create the blue panels on the head timbers.

Cheers,

B.E.

Just playing catch up... very nice work.  So when you start "Big Blandford" you'll really start detailing? :o  :o  :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good stuff Hamilton

I find it hard to grasp your scale at 1:100 - it is extremely small and makes your work all the more impressive. I'm just getting my head around 1:64. Go for 1:48 next time!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks BE, Wayne, Ferit, Mark, Alistair & Michael!

The scale is very tricky....much of my scratch work ends up being more or less overly large for 1:100 (the belfry knees and kevel bitts are cases in point), but I'm happy overall with the results....

Through this build I have developed great admiration for this class of vessel - more than I have for others I have built. Building it as the Blandford out of the Corel kit has at once led me to appreciate the lovely lines and composition of the Blandford, but also to feel a lot of frustration that I have not been able to realise it as neatly as I feel I could at a larger scale - due to limitations both in my skill and in the kit itself, which is not altogether suited to this kind of modification, as I think I've said before....More recent victims of these limitations have been the anchor linings and the aft gunport lids.....I don't think the build is much the worse without them, but they would have added another little bit of interest for the eye.

A 1:48 scale build of the Blandford would be a really fun project. There is (or was) one on the go that I found on another forum while I was researching this build - this was a really beautiful scratch PoB build, but hasn't been updated since 2012, and I'm not sure if it's still on the go or what....In any case such a project will have to wait for my retirement - 25 years or so from now!! Between now and then, there will be other larger scale projects. 

In other news, I've now pretty much finished the hull - since last update I made and installed the channels and backstay stools; put on the lower shroud deadeyes; installed scuppers and added a few more ringbolts for the ship's boat lashing, etc. Tonight I'll finish things up by adding the smaller (3mm) deadeyes on the stools for the backstays, putting on the molding pieces to hold in the deadeyes/chainplates & make the ballast port doors. The last hull elements will be the 36 sweep port lids I have to make, but to avoid breaking them off during rigging, I'm going to save this till the end....

I'll post again with photos either later this evening or tomorrow....

hamilton

As promised - here's a quick update with photos. I've now pretty much finished the hull - saving the sweep port lids, the figurehead, and the beak gratings, which I'll install after the bowsprit is on. 

Tonight, I installed the moldings on the channels, the backstay deadeyes and the ballast ports. I have to say I'm pretty happy to be moving on to the masting and rigging - it'll be nice to start building up! Enjoy the photos.

hamilton

post-304-0-74776600-1378102747_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-56988800-1378102775_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-08986300-1378102803_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-67574800-1378102877_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-37080700-1378102827_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-21155300-1378102920_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-95887500-1378102945_thumb.jpg

It seems I have to split this into two posts....here are the rest of the photos....

hamilton

post-304-0-69712100-1378103067_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-77278000-1378103095_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-87289600-1378103124_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-34933400-1378103155_thumb.jpg

I sense that ratlines are coming in the near future...  bwahahaha......    Ok.. they're fun. And aggrevating.   At the same time. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice, Hamilton.  Colors are really popping now!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Mark:

Yes....ratlines!! I can hardly wait!! The hardest part about the ratlines (for me) is thinking about having to tie them....once I start and get into the rhythm of things it's not so bad as long as there is some good meditative music or an interesting podcast to listen to....

I should note that the smaller 3mm deadeyes did come in adequate supply in this kit - Corel supplies them only for the topmast shrouds. I had to hustle for some extras so the backstays would look proper....

hamilton

Thanks Augie! I'm finding it very difficult already to keep up with your Confed! Your log is less a log and more a microcosm! I will try my hardest!

hamilton

Harlequin! 

I was wondering where you had gone! Hope the season went well for your daughter. My son and I watched some kids playing rugby at one of the beaches at our vacation spot on Hornby Island. I can't pretend to understand the game myself, but he seemed to get into it. Looking forward to seeing some progress on Bellona

hamilton

really a nice build Hamilton.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com