Red Dragon by riverboat - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - Chinese Junk

Really nice work Frank.  Looks fantastic!  Great planking and love the weathering!

I was going to ask the same question that Don did but saw he beat me to it.  You're right about the Age-It products being good on some woods but not others.  Looks great on the lime deck (assuming that was what was in the kit).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking real nice Frank! Good recovery on the planking wouldn't have known there was a whoops if you had not said anything. Your painting looks excellent too. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Mike...... I didn't use the planking  that was included with the kit for the deck. They had some .05mm strips which I wasn't too found of for the deck, so I used  some  1.5mm stock that I had in my stash. To be honest Mike I haven't really done any weathering on this

project( as of yet), the deck looks like it but it's just the" Age It "look :D. I'm thinking maybe using just paints and some stains, I'll see as I progress along with the build.

-E.J.......... Thanks for your comments, I know , this hull looked like it was just a straight away planking job, good thing it only got tricky at the bottom,and of course....... paint is the sloppy builder's best friend :D

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Barry.... I just put some weights on it and let jt stay for a couple days, it seemed to straighten it self out..

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

hull and deck looks great Frank!   I have a hard time getting that color.........I use mahogany and Anegree.   I just got a good supply of .05 basswood strips,  so now I can stain to whatever color I desire ;)   I like your choice of hull color too  ;)                                                                                                                                                                                               

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis.... I just used Vallejo red and then I thinned some black paint (almost to a wash stage) then I lightly brushed it over the red  until I got the darkness I wanted  . I'm going to try some green like that for the upper sides.

Frank                                           

USRC "ALERT"

Nice build.

If you want an interesting look at Chinese ship construction and the amazing things that they did with their junk, read "1421 - The Year China Discovered the World" by Gavin Menzies. (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_4?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=1421+the+year+china+discovered+the+world&sprefix=1421%2Caps%2C177)

I was a bit skeptical at first but this is not nutcase stuff.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip Grant.........

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'm back again for a little update...... as you'll see from the pictures I've changed my mind two or three times before deciding on the upper ship's color....I went from  green to dark  to a fruit wood shade ...  after looking at the first two colors the ship looked way too dark, so I decided to redo all the sides into the fruit wood...... the lighter top gives a better contrast...... This is a pretty simple kit to put together

but I'll tell you I had a hassle attaching the top side pieces........I broke the front pc,by putting too much pressure on it while gluing......

no big deal itwas easy enough to make a new one.... any how take a look and give me your honest opinion as to the color scheme..... I can always change it again :D As always..... thanks for taking the time to look in....

Frank

post-73-0-60630700-1473126983_thumb.jpg

This is the color I thought to be my choice, but like I said it looked just too dark afyer all the sides were done

post-73-0-49792600-1473127009_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-91165500-1473127027_thumb.jpg

I'm not that pleased with the decals that came with this kit they are way too shiny... I have some dragons for the front sides and I dont know if I'll use them or not.... I might try to carve some thing.. I

ll wait and see.

post-73-0-64074900-1473127054_thumb.jpg

this is part of the rudder assembly

post-73-0-15765300-1473127076_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-99587500-1473127126_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-82447900-1473127160_thumb.jpg

This is the front pc. I broke

post-73-0-45752900-1473127173_thumb.jpg

this is the new pc.

post-73-0-65053400-1473127356_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-71189200-1473127379_thumb.jpg

This is the color I decded on..........

post-73-0-86257800-1473127400_thumb.jpg

This is the darker color  with every thing done like this it was way too dark looking

post-73-0-56216400-1473127464_thumb.jpg

This is the fruit wood

post-73-0-07782200-1473127214_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-95297100-1473127285_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

Frank,

I'm partial to the fruit wood stain.  Just seems more natural to me.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark..... I thought the same as you....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

I agree with Mark, looking good by the way

Looking good. I too am partial to the fruit wood stain. I always try to finish woods as naturally as possible and to build in ways that can utilize their natural colors as much as possible. Can't always do that especially when modeling something that was painted but, I try as much as possible.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks Don and E.J. for your input, greatly appreciated.......

Bill........ I tried a flat coat already, didn't seem to dull it enough.... will try another coat when I do the rest of the build. These are not your typical decals, they peel off a backing then stick to the surface. Thanks for looking in.....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Really nice work Frank.  I like both colors, but would lean towards the fruit wood too.  With the green, the ship might start looking too busy and have a kaleidoscope look.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

You can knock down the shininess of you decals by giving them a coat of Testors dullcote lacquer. Better try a sample piece first.  Bill

Stickers eh? Well all bets are off on the dullcote, I have no experience with trying to dull stickers. A guess, maybe a sanding with 400 grit paper.  Bill trying to mind his own business in Idaho

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hi Denis.......    Thanks ...... My thoughts too, I like the fruit wood stain the best. It's always nice to get other peoples opinions ,,,thanks again.

Hey John...... Nice to have you on board..... I've been ck'n out your Krick build, that is some pretty awesome work you are doing,

Thanks for look'n in...

Hi Mike.......    Yeah , fruit wood wins!!... I really liked that the best, glad everyone that commented liked that one too.Thanks again!!

Hi Bill......  I'll give that a try ..... can't expect too much from a mediocre kit . I thought they were reg. decals, I put them in  water , tried

sliding  them off and nothing happened, I said what the!!..... then it dawned    Stickers!!!..... well thats that story.Wish I had

the talent and patience to attempt  carving..... maybe in another life :P :P

Thanks Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank (Bill) try finding a source for Microscale's Micro Flat (also Micro Gloss) - works well on decals - have not tried it on sticker so use a scrap one first.

Thanks for the tip Jack.........  I'll see how it goes after I try another coat of Vallejo's clear flat.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank,

Don't know how I missed this, but your HMAT SUPPLY with barnacles on the hull is, well ridiculous SO PERFECT. What great work. I think that when it comes to aging and "wear and tear" looks your ships are the best that i have seen here at MSW, or anywhere else for that matter. Just went through your completed photos of that ship.

PSL Your Riverboat is also a treat.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael ...... the Supply was a lot of fun to build, glad you liked it....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE .......      Hi Lawrence ...Thanks for looking in and your nice comments.....Well it's time for another update!!  Slowly but surely things are coming together. All the deck pieces are finished, stairs, ladders, and a couple other thinks I added. The following pictures will bring you up to date with my progress. Again, thanks to all who stop by and comment, and thanks too for all of you that have pushed the "LIKE" button.

Frank

post-73-0-16157900-1475725887_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-09891500-1475725908_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-40151400-1475725942_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-89252600-1475725965_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-79453500-1475725996_thumb.jpg

This I over did the hole for the ring so I made something different.

post-73-0-59583400-1475726026_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-89331900-1475726062_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-85360300-1475726110_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-17815600-1475726162_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-87574600-1475726187_thumb.jpg

This is the window that came with the kit, I didn't like this so I made some other windows

post-73-0-93845400-1475726214_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-96189600-1475726241_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-66774500-1475726261_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-92574900-1475726278_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-32427100-1475726329_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-11802300-1475726360_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-25196900-1475726377_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-90527200-1475726389_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-02884200-1475726408_thumb.jpg

I added a couple posts on the stern upper deck to tie some rope railing

post-73-0-72345500-1475726426_thumb.jpg

That's all folks!!.... Thanks for lookn in!!

Frank

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

It's great to see an update, Frank.  She's looking super.   It's a bit odd to see what looks like a balcony until one sees some of these Chinese ships.  The weathering is perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lots of great detail pieces! Those doors and windows are excellent and I like your fix to the oversize holes. Paint and weathering is well done also.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

You are working your magic again Frank, real cool windows, doors and hole covers :)

Thanks Mark, E.J. and Don for your  nice comments, it's always nice to have your in put.... Thanks again..

Frank

USRC "ALERT"