Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

Catching up after a few weeks not being able to visit MSW.  Marvelous work Kees, truly amazing what can be done with plastic.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the repleys, the views and all the likes. I still find it amazing that my little modelship travels the entire world with on click of the mouse.

Today two parts I finished.

At first the block which is used to haul in the sumwing. Sumwing is the wing on which the net is attached. It flies over the bottom. In this block there is a big pully which I made on the lathe because it is very vissible.

59ca8db525887_Pelikaan(316).thumb.jpg.83cc787d20b7699071e96b09ee14ee41.jpg

59ca8db15e3a6_Pelikaan(315).thumb.jpg.bea1ab39de90fd0edccce1ea8d15984b.jpg

And I made the pulswinch. The ship works with pulsfishery (most Dutch beamtrawlers do). It means that the nets fly over the bottom and instead of chains (that goes trough the bottom) there are electrodes whitch give short electric pulses. The fish are disturbed and 'jumps' into the nets. The electrical current comes from a cables whitch is reeled in on the pulsewinch (2 on each ship)

59ca8e223b260_Pelikaan(330).thumb.jpg.012bc32b91d728a626d4d93085791279.jpg59ca8e1edb7d3_Pelikaan(329).thumb.jpg.fe48e144d29b48b0a55af2eb4df30310.jpg59ca8e1b394df_Pelikaan(328).thumb.jpg.13557bc1a1cdba1d587277f9aff81842.jpg

And a little off topic but I think it is appropriate. This ship is made/finished by my father last week. It is in scale 1/100 and 43 cm long. The ship is the 'old' KW88 Pelikaan. I made a few trips on the trawler when I was a boy. My father has always been an example to me when it comes to shipbuilding so I am happy he has build this ship.

Edited by kees de mol

I see where you get your enthusiasm from.......very nice looking vessel  :)  is that a kit,  or does he do a lot of scratch building as well?   your progress is really good as well......I like the detail you put into the parts you make....... very nice !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Kees, it is pretty amazing isn't it?  Talking and sharing with people all around the world.   

Your research is impressive on this and watching the parts come from the pictures is, to me, just incredible.  You get all the details and they look great.

Your dad did a great job on his trawler.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kees,

It's weird to get in touch with another Dutchman on a foreign site, conversing in English ... We used to go to Noordwijk aan Zee for summer holiday when I was young ...near Huis ter Duin (for the unfamilliar it's a hotel at the sea side - never had the pleasure staying there though)

For 1.8 cm you've done (again) a splendid job on the puls reals ... You think you can match the quality of work from your father ... or surpass it even ... must be fun to share such a hobby ...

Looking forward to your next update ... what tiny surprise you'll bring then ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I see where you get your enthusiasm from.......very nice looking vessel   :)  is that a kit,  or does he do a lot of scratch building as well?  

Its all build by hemselve. He has a drawing of a beamtrawler in a book and the rest is done with pictures. The hull is carved out a piece of hardwood. I like his ships very mutch because the remind me from when I was a boy watching my father building a modelship. When I grew up he helped me to build models myself.

Kees, it is pretty amazing isn't it?  Talking and sharing with people all around the world.   

Your research is impressive on this and watching the parts come from the pictures is, to me, just incredible.  You get all the details and they look great.

Your dad did a great job on his trawler.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Kees,

It's weird to get in touch with another Dutchman on a foreign site, conversing in English ..

Yes it is strange but. But I am very happy with this page and the Englisg language gives us the possibility to communicate no matter where we are from.

Leuk dat je me volgt op dit forum :D

love it!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for making the video.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Love the video Kees!  That plastic stuff intrigues me, seems easier and faster to work with, provided one know how to work with it.  You seem to have mastered it Kees, fantastic results.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank You for the reply's, the views and hitting the likebutton. I enjoyed making the video so today I made a new one.

This time I finished the mast and I show some tips and tricks to build with styreen.

https://youtu.be/YnKfE6qEbfk

I have to learn a lott about videomaking (and edit in moviemaker) so notting is perfect.

No talking in the video because of my terrible English :o

Please enjoy

that could very be the wave of the future  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

One of the last things to build on this ship are the portals on the back of the ship. This portal is placed a few years after the ship was build. First there was a crane and a rubberboat

The portal is used for the two puleys that guides the pulswires to the nets

Here the placing of the portal

59ca8e76a5d19_Pelikaan(318).thumb.jpg.172020bfb80e07bdb968405b0294096a.jpg59ca8e7e0e0c1_Pelikaan(321).thumb.jpg.014de8649bb8a054c278a95e9e083a1a.jpg59ca8e821ac65_Pelikaan(324).thumb.jpg.7ba41a6162f51333556a5915e40e6a7c.jpg

And the last video from tonight

VIDEO             https://youtu.be/UXRk0Slax9c             VIDEO

Pelikaan (320).jpg

Pelikaan (328).jpg

Pelikaan (329).jpg

Pelikaan (330).jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Kees,

Nifty little tool that circle cutter ... Sometimes a video explains best what you do ... looks great! An amazing build, all those parts you've cut, and cast ... a work of art ... spectacular

Carl

Hello Jan,

At this moment there are no parts left to build (there are but I can only build them when other parts are combined ) so I can start building the parts together.

I dont know yet how I'm going to tackle this. Because I want to install some leds I want to make the parts removable.

And I need to figure out a way to display the models. I have some hardwood planks and I want two metal cilinders on which the keel is attached. (one of them has to be hollow for an electric wire)

cheers, Kees

this has turned into quite a project.......the detail you've put into each aspect is really super.  I'm sure you'll figure out the assembly as you go along...one idea will facilitate the next.  you will do well my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes a big project. But I am getting there...

I started to build up the back of the ship but when i was looking at the photo's I realized I have not build yet the most important piece of the ship. Its called the sumwing and it is a Dutch invention to drag the nets over the seabed with less agitation off the bottom and less fuelconsumption. The sumwing 'flies' over the seabed draging the nets forward. The pulswires attached to the the sumwing and the nets give electric pulses which makes the fish jump up in the nets.

On  http://www.sumwing.nl   You can find more images and some video about the sumwing.

Next update I hope to show you my finished modelsumwings

Kind regards, Kees

P1010046_zps8looeoxv.jpg

Some progress on the sumwings, It's not an easy shape to make but I am satisfied with the wings I have now. After this I start adding the details (which are many) And then I want to figure out to find a way to make the fishingnets. (I eat lots and lots of garlic these weeks. Maybe next time I tell You why)

59cb562e1d1f1_Pelikaan(334).thumb.jpg.c8afe983601fd189196adc782413346d.jpg59cb562aded7f_Pelikaan(333).thumb.jpg.6c24bb940e86a0bae60730acee03327b.jpg59cb5627314f8_Pelikaan(332).thumb.jpg.df1a87f2da8bc226f3dd6e6b82e5e390.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Stretch or stiff nets ... with stretch you can get more fish, it just takes a while to wheel it in ...  ;) You are probably sleeping outside, Kees ... at least I can imagine that.

Those sumwings look pretty close to what they look like on that site. Good job. Do you need to finish the garlic bulbs before you may use the nets ...?

Edited by cog

Carl

Can't wait. Any idea what's next?

Thank you all for the kind reply and everybody who hits the Like-button. I am very happy to contribute to this forum with my strange 'plastic' fishingship.

About what next to come... Yes I know what will be my next project. This week I have received some digital scans of some technical drawings of a beautifull fishingship. The drawings were found in the library of the Maritime Museum of Rotterdam and for a (pretty big) financial contribution I am the lucky owner of this 104 years old drawings of a Dutch .................. fishing .........

Sorry no more information but when I finish the KW88 Pelikaan I will tell you more. I bought some books and I hope to visit a similair ship like I hope to build to gather more information.

As a little teaser I give You this piece of the drawings I recieved.

Kind regards, Keesvoor%20forum_zps8mc1tnrl.jpg