RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

:D  :D  I'm working on it......I'm not letting this day off go to waste!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hello Brian  :)    thanks for the kind word.......   1:400 isn't too bad of a scale to work with.  it still comes out to a fair size model.  I do plan to light her,  but the deck levels are around 10/32 or so high......gonna be a feat with the lighting I want to use.   I have the basic kit from Academy.......they do have one that supplies the wood decking and P.E.   I do have a build where I substituted the plastic decking with wood,  but it's a larger kit.   welcome to the build,  feel free to follow along  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking sweet, Denis.  Not sure if you saw the build by Gene Bodnar over at MSB http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4038.20

His was a tiny bit larger than yours...

"This ship doesn't look all that large in these photos, but it's 71.5" long on 1:144 scale"

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

yes Wayne.......I know Gene's work very well.   last I knew he was ill....don't know how he's doing.   as a mater of fact,  I'm a member of the site...haven't visited in quite a while though.  he is a very accomplished modeler  ;)    thanks for the good word my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had today off.......I was going to add electrical outlets out in the garage,  but it was a really cold damp rainy day!   such a good day to sit inside and play  :)     I was looking over what I had done,  and I though you might like to see how these decks associate to one another.   that is the bridge deck and A deck........and also a good idea how light can impact a color.

post-612-0-18983800-1433207997.jpg

post-612-0-63470200-1433208009.jpg

really not that much space between decks either......looks like about 10/32nds.   I'm only using one of my crane lights for those pictures....both,  and you really go blind!.   I started to play with the stern and  poop deck,  making the structure for it.

post-612-0-07226900-1433208327.jpg

Ben really helped me out with the anchor chain.....I knew there had to be a chain gate.  the detail for this is lacking in this model......hard to imagine,  with all the detail that is there.   in order to enhance this aspect,  I'm going to modify the capstan platform....it doesn't allow for it.  there are two small tabs there,  which I cut off.  a small square of the platform was removed from the starboard side platform.

post-612-0-86874800-1433209380.jpg

not sure if it's doable,  but I may try to make the chain gate from these two little pieces of sprue.  even if I don't,  it might not matter too much......some of the gate detail is missing at the front hawse holes of the guide.

post-612-0-17394400-1433209598.jpg

I will get the port side notched out and then drill a couple holes.  I can touch it up  then.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Both sides are notched out now.  the capstans are in place and the holes are drilled.  I may have to enlarge them a bit more to accept the chain.

post-612-0-07600300-1433209868.jpg

some work has been done to the stern / poop deck.  the double benches are in place,  four more capstans,  and the bollards along with some of the other detail has been painted.

post-612-0-19746000-1433210074.jpg

the same treatment has been done to the fore deck as well.

post-612-0-54272000-1433210133.jpg

I have a few other thing that I'm working on.....there are eight cranes that are to be located on these two sections.  they also lack a bit of detail,  that I think should be there.  I'll show you those next {second enhancement}.   the structure for the stern [ poop deck has been painted.  it was cemented in place on the deck,  the same way I did the long structure for the A deck,  by cementing the tabs from underneath.

post-612-0-05427300-1433210491.jpg

the night is still young....I may do a bit more before I call it a night......I'll post it if I do  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's taking shape nicely Dennis! Like you, I find it a mystery how, with all the detail they DO include with this, that they don't include a simple detail like the chain-gates. I guess it's just another example of the corporate mind.  :rolleyes:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looks good Denis, I'm sure this is going to turn into another masterpiece!!! when you finish. it blows  your mind when you think how big she was and she still sank.

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks for the good word gents  ;)   I'm assembl'in all these little things........the hull will be coming into play in a bit.

yea,  I dunno George.........they must flip a coin in the R&D dept,  as to what stays and what goes.  got a good idea for 'em........why don't they ask a modeler!

Thanks Frank.......I hope your right.  the admiral's complaining about me working with plastic....I'm laughing cuz.....she got it for me  :D   she wouldn't have sunk,  if they only glanced the iceberg.  it was a huge tear...four or five compartments long!

thanks Gary.......I use the clothes pins for pretty much the same reason.  I find that this way,  they have more reach.

thanks Sam......I'll be honest.....I did all this after 9:00AM........:)    I had to have my coffee and cruller

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

.....the hull will be coming into play in a bit.

She is going well, no doubt.

Upper quote and your posts reminds me to something

I read somewhere:

There are no little boy and little girl, and there are no grown man and woman

There are only little woman and a boy, and a grown woman and grown boy

Definite truth. We keep on playing in different ways all our "man`s" life ( with kids, car, guitar, with TV, video ..., with cells, PC and tablets, with tools, etc etc ... and with ... ahh ... our models )

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks John.....she's coming along better....found it a little hard to get back into the plastic mode.

so true Nenad.......our interests evolve and ever change as we grow older.   sadly we must flow with the change.   it has been said that the modeler rebuts these changes,  by trying to dwell in the past.....but it's not true.   we merely want to preserve and protect all that was once beautiful,  in a time that technology wants to confuse and destroy.   ........to keep simple,  what life wants to make complicated,  even though under the guise of streamlining.  we have a better saying here in the states:   "if it ain't broke.......DON'T fix it"

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got a bit of insomnia last night.......the admiral and I are trying to cut down....to eventually quit smoking.   so I messed around some more at the table.

the crane bases were touched a bit more and set aside to dry

post-612-0-27841700-1433247770.jpg

I added the rest of the hold covers to the bow and stern

post-612-0-77417000-1433247821.jpg

the boat deck has no tab slots,  nor the structures have tabs......I'm not liking this.   I was getting used to no glue marks to touch up.   the forward structure was cemented in place.

post-612-0-23906100-1433248552.jpg

there are 11 stair cases that need to be assembled.   they will be cleaned up and painted later,  once they dry.

post-612-0-49575300-1433248714.jpg

the starboard side chain was cemented in place......the port side will be done once this has had time to dry.

post-612-0-91455600-1433248831.jpg

I am still curious how  these decks will assemble....especially without making a mess.   I'll try and show you how they stack up.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

as I mentioned.  the spacing between the decks,  is not very tall.   I was curious how they would stack.   the bridge deck is not as wide as the A deck ans boat deck.  the bulwark sides allow them to slightly bulge out past the hull perimeter.

post-612-0-58690700-1433249405.jpg

in the background,  you can see the can of primer,   which I think matches the bottom paint.  I haven't tried it yet.  the admiral and I much have looked like a couple of nuts........I was trying to find the number that the TRMA suggested for it.   to make matters worse,  I forgot to bring my reading glasses.......so,  here we are......in an aisle,  trying to find a four digit number on a spray can......we'll soon see if I'm right about the color.  these first two pictures were taken with both lights on......I had to turn the overhead crane light off for the others.     ....a look at the bow end .........

post-612-0-84312500-1433250026.jpg

....and a look at the stern end .........

post-612-0-04517100-1433250070.jpg

the boat deck does interlock with the A deck in two places.   there are decks associated with these two areas as well.

post-612-0-72959100-1433250705.jpg

there are no openings between these two decks.......although there are two holes inside the confines of the forward structure that I'm curious about.......not sure how they come into play.   the stairwells in the bridge deck and the A deck will not be seen.......I may not even bother to paint them  {I'll look into it further}.   the same thought goes for the insert that was cemented in the molded inner structure of the forward structure.   the outer walls were painted,  but from what I can see so far,  this will not be seen either.

post-612-0-58225600-1433251151.jpg

of course,  there is still some touch ups that need to happen,  and more parts need to be added,  before the decks can be joined with the port and starboard bulwark parts.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Greg  :)   thanks to every one who hit the like button as well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had cemented one chain on the hull already........the other side is now cemented in as well

post-612-0-97873300-1433332288.jpg

more parts were added to the A deck........support racking for the upper deck and benches that line the aft section of the deck.

post-612-0-81056900-1433332614.jpg

post-612-0-49604700-1433332626.jpg

the anchor chains were wrapped around the capstans,  and terminated through the added holes.

post-612-0-90392000-1433332767.jpg

the stern section got a few new parts as well.....the vents and the bridge,  where the ship's wheel is located.

post-612-0-87466100-1433332864.jpg

post-612-0-39849000-1433332886.jpg

there is one hole that I have no idea what goes there........the exploded assembly view is very crowded.

the cranes were assembled.......I cemented the booms in place.   six large ones and two smaller ones

post-612-0-08382500-1433333062.jpg

post-612-0-74906000-1433333075.jpg

a few more parts were added to the bow and stern sections.   they are almost complete.

post-612-0-33157000-1433333167.jpg

post-612-0-93853400-1433333187.jpg

today,  the sun is finally out........the bout of rain we've been having is over.   it's still on the cool side,  but I think the temps will rebound until we get back to where we were.   I should get my butt back out to the garage and finish setting up the electrical outlets and lights.   shouldn't take me too long though.   it will be busy today......but it won't stop me from making some progress.   one finished build for 2015........I'm shoot'in for more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Coming together very nicely.  Now I'm liking your choice of deck color.  But Popeye, at this rate we'll be asking you 'what's next' in a month !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good work Popeye,

I like the Color of the deck and the Fitting out Looks very well...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looking great!!

there is one hole that I have no idea what goes there........the exploded assembly view is very crowded.

Which hole? I see one at the extreme aft end - if this is what you are referring to, this is the hole for the flagstaff. 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

thanks Augie and Nils.   my attempt to get this build over to the smaller table,  so far has been a failure.  I don't see it happening as fast as I would like it to.   I guess I'll just stay on course,  and finish this one outright!   perhaps when I get to the point of finishing it out.......there's still hope  :)   I'm glad I changed my mind about the deck.   reading John's comment,  confirmed my thoughts  {thanks John  ;)}

I still have a ways to go....but if I were,  I have the Jolly Rogers......as well as everything on my roster.  no worries Augie.....I'm sure I can imagine something up!

the hole I'm referring to is just in front of the center vent,  in front of the bridge.  the one at the very aft.......I haven't seen the part that goes there yet.  it must be later in the build sequence.  I can't believe the ship's wheel is out in the open like that.......you'll see what I mean in a bit.   if I don't see a part that goes in the hole I mentioned,  I'll just fill it with glue and paint it over.  it's not a big deal......just I don't like to see stuff like that.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She is really coming along...still amazed at the detail level possible at 1/400th scale!  I have a hard time at 1/60th holding onto things without dropping them every 2 minutes!

Deck color is also just looking better and better as the color contrasts build up as you add all the other deck items.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

thanks Nigel.......I'm still doing my share of dropping thing.......mostly tools though  :D    this next bit of  progress I made was very perplexing.....of all thing to drop to the floor...the tube of CA.    .......and every time,  it would end up under the lower level shelf on my desk.    thanks for the good word  ;)

OK john........you caught me :ph34r:   the anchor chain is supposed to be black........that's what the fake looking chain was molded in.   I kinda liked the antique copper look,  so I left it.......but in the back of my mind,  I wanted to go over it with black.  I figured that if I missed any spots,  I could call it rust  :D  :D

I will paint it  ;)  your word is sage to me {two thumbs up}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'll post the change made to the anchor chain......shouldn't be too tough to touch up.....thanks again John  ;)

before I begin with this update...wanna get in on the fun too :blink:   well I got an e-mail from Model Expo today...they are offering the Minicraft Titanic for almost half price!   reg price: $119.99......down to $65.95......and it even has the P.E. upgrade!  I forgot to look at the scale........but it has to be 1:144...it's a little over 30" long!  so, don't be the LAST kid on the block , to own one of these buggers.......promo code  JU2!

>commercial's over<

anyway......I can make amends  to the second enhancement I planned for this kit.   But,  I can't do anything about what I did here........on the first enhancement I started with.  the railings are supposed to have four rungs to them.  I began with that in mind......but in the interest of keeping the integrity of the parts that I'm trying to save,  I settled for a bit less.   I did some electrical work in the garage today.   when I finished,  I managed to out aside a short piece of 16 gauge wire.   Stripping it down,  it revealed the many strands it has.

post-612-0-19430200-1433387859.jpg

setting up the helping hands on my desk,  the sprue with the bulwark part on them,  was clamped in place.   I began with the bow parts.

post-612-0-65530100-1433388172.jpg

the wire was cemented on using CA.......for some reason,  it wouldn't stick too good.   I'd put a dot of CA on and then wipe the excess away.

post-612-0-87116800-1433388622.jpg

finally,  both sides were done.........the best I could do was two rungs.   any more than that,  and I'd be looking at the same thing I cut out in the first place.

post-612-0-57365900-1433388770.jpg

the stern part {the ones that gave me the most trouble}  actually came out looking better than the bow parts.

post-612-0-82276800-1433388895.jpg

the bow parts were painted white...there is a little bit of clean up that needs to be done.   even though they are not quite right,  I'm happy with the results.

post-612-0-80165500-1433389041.jpg

I did a bit of mess'in around,  doing some testing on  'White Star Buff'.    the TRMA site gave a couple of suggestions for paint......one of them was a color called  British Gulf LT Stone  #2137.   I happen to have a bottle of it.   I did a swath on a piece of sprue...there is some ghosting,  but the paint isn't mixed well enough yet.   the separation of the paint was pretty extensive...it's an older bottle.

post-612-0-90634700-1433389591.jpg

I think the orange of the funnels will tint it well enough.   the stern parts were painted as well......a couple touch ups need to be done,  I think this is a better way to go.....rather than the alternatives

post-612-0-56970600-1433389893.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

pretty clever Denis!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

G'day Denis

How on earth did you get the copper wire so evenly spaced? Mind blowing! Looks great ship mate!

Haveagreatone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

oh,  that's right Gary.........looking at so many,  starting the get them mixed up!  Hee....Hee!   got to admit though....it's a heck of a deal.  I showed the e-mail to the admiral......she looked at me kinda strange whae I asked if I could have another  ;)    unless one purchases a kit,  you hardly ever get to see other brands of the model.   in the minicraft kit,  for instance......the only parts that come chrome,  are the stand parts.

post-612-0-71201700-1433419482.jpg

you can see that they don't use the multi color plastic.......and the tooling {in my opinion}  is a lot better.  the bow and stern aren't these large sections,  as with the Academy kit.    oh....well......I guess I can keep on wishing that the admiral will turn as crazy,  as I am  :D  :D  :D

thanks John and Frank  :)

hello Greg.......it wasn't easy  ;)   hence the reason why getting more that these two rungs on there would have been a bust. 

so close together......and using Ca.....it would have closed up so many spaces.    I have a couple that I need to clean out,  so I called this good,  and am satisfied with it.  thanks for the good word!

thanks also to all who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: