RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

Dennis; here's an old photographers trick. Take a small piece of cardboard (fairly stiff), place a sheet of plain old shiny aluminum foil over the face of it, wrap over the sides and tape off. Make sure the foil on the face is as smooth as you can get. Make a couple. Place them on the bench to each side of the model with the foil facing the model - you want to reflect the light (ambient) back into the dark spaces on the model - experiment a little till you get the hang of it. Card stock can be 4 x 6, 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 or whatever is suitable to your space. Prop the reflectors up on an angle - generally 40-45 degrees.

Edited by Jack12477

I'll give it a try Jack......thanks  ;)   I did find out that I had some small weird bulb in there........probably an appliance bulb.   I have some 60w halogen incandescent bulbs.......I'll have to see what's in the main table light.   I changed it ..........I'll try a few pictures later.  :)   I wonder if spraying the card silver would work?

I almost forgot again...........thank to all of you who hit the like button.   I really appreciate your looking in  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Dennis, no spraying won't work. It's not reflective enough. Aluminum foil is best.

A "poor man's" substitute would be a PURE WHITE card - it has to be white or it will change the color of the light in turn affecting the color(s) of the ship.  Don't want to take over your build log with a tutorial on photographic lighting; if you want more info send me a PM.

Edited by Jack12477

Start to look massive and hudge, Denis. Just like it has to be (?)

I like it

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Great work there she is looking fine and gaining a realistic appearance.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

i'll keep it in mind Jack........haven't tried the first idea yet,  but I will.  thank you very much  ;)

hi Nenad...glad to see your up to posting  ;)  I do hope your doing well....thank you  :)

thanks Patrick.....wood modeling has changed a lot of ways that I did things.   having to revisit plastic again is really testing me......especially paint  ;)

thanks OC........I hope so  :)

thanks to all who hit the like button.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

well.......got snagged away again today.........more window blinds and made some repairs to the family car.   I did manage to do a little bit though.....got started on the mock up.   the first structure has already been cemented in place...I put the roof on.  

post-612-0-70704600-1434763144.jpg

now the A deck and the boat deck are like a Siamese twin...two sections of decking rise up and are part of the A deck structures......these two decks need to be assembled together.  but it's hard due to the funnel rigging.

post-612-0-59626000-1434763419.jpg

so,  this changes the plans a little.   I really don't like putting all this tiny stuff on the decks before assembling the whole she-bang........something is liable to get knocked off..........a couple already did.   so,  the mock up for the bridge,  bow  and stern decks,  may look like this.   I just have to figure hoe to keep the bulwark walls upright.

post-612-0-03814900-1434763680.jpg

post-612-0-17449200-1434763698.jpg

post-612-0-56566000-1434763714.jpg

I changed that pesky light bulb with one of those halogen bulbs...........big difference!  here are the parts that still need to go on the funnels.   there is one ladder not shown.........it's being repaired at the moment......broke while I was trimming it.

post-612-0-72467800-1434763868.jpg

the railings are all in small parts and pieces.......they all need to be assembled.   as for the two pieces for the bow and stern,  I have two of each........in fact,  I have quite a few duplicates.   the kit comes with two sprues that are the same.

post-612-0-08922800-1434764022.jpg

post-612-0-30839700-1434764037.jpg

it's almost as bad as photo etch.........except,  I've never done P.E. before  :D  :D   I did a bit more on the mock up,  assembling the last two structures.   that other piece of deck fits over the square opening.

post-612-0-88316100-1434764246.jpg

post-612-0-40947700-1434764260.jpg

the thing about these two sections of decking  {roofs}........if I cement the rest of the structures to the boat deck,  it will be very hard to get them into position......it's really tight.  this thing is a real jig saw puzzle  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lots of tiny, fragile little parts there Dennis, but she's going to be a beaut when it's done. Halogen's help I bet!  ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

good Progress can be seen Popeye,

what a lot of tiny bits and pieces, you`re doing a good Job with the painting...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Denis

Great job so far, and I've no doubt it, the completed ship will also be outstanding!

I agree with Jack, he has given you some good advice!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Popcorn and another interesting build by Popeye. I think I'll pull up a seat and watch, plus munch on some of Sjors popcorn. :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

thanks every one for the good word  :)    work beckons at the moment.........after next week end,  I be on vacation again.  I'm going to try and make the most of it  ;)

yes Sam........I think there are duplicate part to be used for the railings.   they do give quite a list of the parts that will not be used.

I'll look into it Jack.......thanks a lot!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lots of tiny, fragile little parts there Dennis, but she's going to be a beaut when it's done. Halogen's help I bet!  ;)

G'day Denis

George is correct about the Halogen lights, I'm using one, but my power bill is not toooooo good though. But heck, I'm blind if I don't use it.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

before 2009 Lawrence,  plastic was my medium.........see what a wooden kit can do to a person?!?!  :D  :D   this is the first plastic ship I've done since then.

amazing how foreign something can be if you leave it awhile  ;)  but I'm having fun  :)

these bulbs are energy savers {getting the package...........}   the early halogen bulbs that were out there were of bad design........they had mercury in them,  making them harder to get rid of.  they had to be treated as hazardous waste........but as human nature goes,  they just chucked them in the regular trash.  I just bring them to work......we have a bin for disposal of these mercury bulbs  :)    the bulb I had in the light gave off 560 lumens.   these bulbs I have here give off 750 lumens....quite a big difference.   that's what it says on the box.......the bulb itself says 785 lumens.  they have a 60 watt equivalent,  but only use 43 watts........saves $5 a year.  not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things,  but I guess it's something.  I just changed the bulb in the main table light.....I'll see if it makes any difference there too  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I havto look into getting different bulbs myself Denis. I wasn't thinking about different bulbs, I might save a penny or two. Thanks for the advice.

Greg

I've gone over the CFL's and now LED's (although slowly).  The newer LED's are brighter and use even less power than the CFL's which, use less than the halogen.  I'm cheap, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Modeler's law: never enough light from right side. 100w on floor, 200w up of desk, and a cran lamp with 100w on desk. For good photos, not enough if you have bad camera as me.

If I build yoir model, I think >1000w will not been enough

Good work

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

much can be said about lighting......a handy aide to be sure.    tell this to a sailor who's been doing scrimshaw in his quarters by candle light,  and he'd probably look at us funny  ;)

this week has not been too productive.......the past couple of days has been eaten up with chores around the house.  I have a couple of things to do today,  but it's our 28th anniversary,  so I might not get flogged if I sluff off.   I did manage to put up a huge shelf in the living room.  it's nothing fancy....metal shelving with wood shelves that I painted to match the walls.   the living room is a low dust area.......only the dog and I go in there.   it will be neat to see them all in one place.  ;)

hope to have some progress soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dear Popeye and Olve Oly

Congratulations on 28 years of marriage! May all the years to come be smooth sailing.

Cheers

Greg

Oh, I mean Phyllis. Sorry about that!

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Congratulations Dennis. Try to have a good time!   :D

Edit:  Should read congrats to you both, just to clarify!   :rolleyes:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations Denis & Phyllis. :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !

Just catching up on logs.  Titanic is growing in leaps and bounds.  Very nice, my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956