SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

very nice work Nils........been out of the loop for a spell,  so I had quite a bit to catch up on.  she's coming along really great though and I see you've already started with your fine metal work ;)   the stern is looking better and better with every bit of detail you add to her.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic job, Can't wait until the hull plating starts!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks for looking in Denis and Scott,

and all the "likes"...

Denis,

I have the wooden hull smooth and treated with filler where necessary, all is covered with one coat of nitro- Wood-bounder, to fix the grain.

The forecastle deck is very much rounded down to the sides typical for this ship (like some fishing Trawlers have), that is what I`m working on right now. These rounded side Areas of the forecastle deck will be plated as well...

Scott,

thanks for dropping in,....

The plating of the hull still needs to wait until I have the decks on, and the upper two rails mounted to the sides

Nils

Ammendment :

here a non scaled hand-scetch for illustration,,,,

post-3445-0-79609100-1438699462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi David,

I use Aluminium metal foil for the plating,

please have a look at the examples in my "Pamir" build log beginning there on page 4 with post #65 of that log and onward....(link in my signiture)....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Build log part 14

preparing for the decks, cutting out card templates, will be using 0,8 mm ply and plank this with 1 x 2mm scaled pine strips, pencil "caulking" at the plank edges

Nils

post-3445-0-44218800-1438863465_thumb.jpg

inbetween I do 2 more windows at a time...

post-3445-0-16139800-1438863467_thumb.jpg

the forecastle card template and  half the front waist template (one deck lower). The outer limiting timbers (forecastle sheer) will be shaped to fit the rounded transition from hull to deck

post-3445-0-75158200-1438863469_thumb.jpg

half poop deck template

post-3445-0-55737900-1438863471_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

It looks like you're off and running, now that the hull planking is done (in readiness for the plating) and you're onto the deck templates.

The brass windows look great, as well. Out of interest, how long would it take to knock each window up? I dare say you've got a few to do, so time minimisation would be a good thing.

In terms of the overall appearance of the hull so far, the last photo above really gets my heartrate going. Not only is the hull sleek, but she's shapely as well.

Lastly, have/would you at some stage consider converting her into an RC model?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks Patrick,

in answer to your questions...

the average time for a window like this is 15 minutes, and there are (my Count)  84 of this type, so that makes 1260 minutes = 21 hours

Yes, I have thought of RC Controlling, because the  propshafts  are functional, but I would have had to add some complicated gear System to the ruddershaft, inside that tail-cone. So I rejected that thought at an early stage already, I also trust that the ship will be much to fragile for water contact. Also I do`nt know how the plating (adhesive gluefilm) would behave in water...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What beautiful lines, I can see why you wanted to build her.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

What beautiful lines, I can see why you wanted to build her.

Bob

exactly Bob,

I think the lines of a ship are one of the first impressions that the eye recognizes, I just fell in love with these lines...

Nils

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

And that's the way it should be for all of us.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

She's going to be a beauty, Nils.  Lovely lines and your usual excellent details are already showing up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Thanks very much for your appreciative words,...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Pits propeller??

No,

general fixed pitch prop design on screw driven steamers around year 1897..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update for forecastle- and first waist deck,

It all looks a bit rough in the moment, The front waist-deck was made to the card template and can now be removed for planking. Need to check the hights with the little 1:144 figurine

The forecastle deck will need the anchor tubes with suit taylored outlets to the bow sides fitted in, before it is planked( only about 2/3 of it`s area (pics will follow later on )

Nils

post-3445-0-04085500-1439023789_thumb.jpg

my little room for the rough work

post-3445-0-89295500-1439023791_thumb.jpg

I fixed a preliminary,horizontal  (loosenable) steel-rail, to which the drawing can be clipped (magnets)

post-3445-0-55593800-1439023793_thumb.jpg

The funnel arrangement in two groups provides the first class dining resaurant and lounges to go over the full width of the ship, this has been well accepted by the passengers, This design had also been adopted for the follower liners of the Norddeutscher Lloyd, and gave an unmistakenable silhouette for identification from the distance

post-3445-0-68879600-1439057924_thumb.jpg

three deck high, and over the ship`s width, the 1 st class dining saloon

post-3445-0-28002100-1439023796_thumb.jpg

the little white figure is used for determining the correct deck-highjts

post-3445-0-09076300-1439023799_thumb.jpg

here the deck curvature can be nicely seen

post-3445-0-61292500-1439023794_thumb.jpg

when clicking on this pic (to enlarge) the hand drawn frame distances on the drawing can be seen. I chose 26 frames over the ship`s length

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Thanks for the update. Nice progress! I like the idea of being able to hang the plans, so that it's easily studied.

Also, I never realised how big the ship must have been untiI I saw the scale sized figurine.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Your model is really taking shape I can hardly wait to see the super structure. Good idea to use a scale figure to determine deck height.

David B

She's coming along nicely, and she's being build in a fine space.

Bob

Many thanks to Patrick, Ioannis, David and Bob,

and the "likes"...

as the outer deck railings will be only 8mm high, I decided to favour rather foto etched stripes from copper sheet. instead of built railing with stanchions. Have to work out a suitable way to fasten These to the related hull /deck Areas. The ordered samples unfortunately did`nt arrive this week. The upper most of the 6-chord railing is the handrail which is of Wood on the actual ship, but in scale 1:144 I`ll have to put on a very small U-shaped brass liner stradling over the upper edge, and paint it in wood color. (at least thats my Intension, if there comes no better solution to mind)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you for your Input Larry,

maybe I`ll go for your suggested solution,......

but I`ll try the use of a mini L-angle brass Profile to the deck , so that the railing stripe can be carefully spot soldered to it, if it wo`nt look too messy afterwards. if the L-rail perhaps is soldered on to the railing stripe first, the other flange of the re-drilled profile could be pinned to deck for fastening (going to be a tricky excercise anyway...)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 15

Status update:

today I cut into the hull sides at the waist areas, the front area lowest point, right down to the deck and the aft Area, leaving an 8mm high bulwark standing. Next will be the deck-planking job in these waist areas. The raw decks  were dry-fitted and are ready for planking

Unfortunately I found no figurines in scale 1:144 in fashion of 1900 clothing, pleas, does anybody know where to find some ? 

The only ones I found are out of the airlines scale figurines, and I`m not so fond of military figurines, but I´m happy to have some at all for dimension checks

Nils

post-3445-0-65411200-1439295739_thumb.jpg

a Dremel grinder is good for this work

post-3445-0-32777000-1439295719_thumb.jpg

the second raw deck is laying on the second stringer from top, the upper stringer has been cut away, so the remaining bulwark is flush with the inside of the side planking

post-3445-0-76594700-1439295725_thumb.jpg

the port side will have to be brought to the same status

post-3445-0-56345500-1439295731_thumb.jpg

the 8mm raw-bulwark is in hight slightly above figurines waist hight, handrail still to be fitted

post-3445-0-39816600-1439295744_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63250000-1439295749_thumb.jpg

the forecastle deck is still a card template

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Now that you've cut the hull sides, as per necessary, to create the bulwarks, it's all starting to make sense now.  I must've been a bit thick, but I couldn't quite understand why your hull plating had to be put on hold until the decks were laid out.  Now, of course, it all makes sense!  Definitely one of those 'lightbulb' moments for me.

Having said that, wow, she looks good.  The bulwarks and the figurines add a tantalising glimpse of what the completed ship's going to look like.

Nice!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Patrick,

the work now is quite a long haul job to get all the decks to fit. B)  I plank the decks before mounting them, so  they can be sanded smooth and sealed with a dull varnish. All walls, deck bulwarks and -housing go on top of the planked decks. When the decks are on for permanent, there will be several rails to the upper hull sides. The metal plating does not go over the rails but fits neatly in between these.

I had a upsetting experience last week, when I had tilted the window of my basement workroom to allow nitro fumes of the wood sealing primer and it`s nitro smell to escape over night ^_^ ......

In the meantime we had much rain and bad weather, so that the high ambient humidity fell through the tilted window into the basement room just looking to settle on and in my hull. Next morning some of the longitudinal white glue joints (planks glued together at the edges as well) suffered swelling from the moisture a bit, and the nice smooth hull felt as if it needed a sanding and fairing session again  :o

I decided to leave as is, watch it over the week, hoping the glue swell will go back by itself. and to use watertight white glue (propeller glue) next time. Its getting better now day by day

Cheers,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed