Cross section model by Russ 1/48 scale - Finished

This is a model I posted on a bit on the old site. I am presenting here as a build log of sorts.I built this model back in 2003 as a learning experience. It worked. I learned a lot about how to build a model and also how not to build a model.

There are a few things I like about this model as well as a good deal I do not like. One thing I am proud of is that the entire model is treenailed. That was important to me. There are numerous mistakes in the size of timbers, as well as the way they are joined. Still, this model taught me a good deal and it sits on my shelf and it has survived the last ten years quite well.

Here is how the model began.

Crosssection1_zps0d71708c.jpg

Crosssection2_zps9dee79fb.jpg

Crosssection3_zps8009cb92.jpg

Crosssection4_zps46836f2a.jpg

Note that the framing is all double frames. Also note that the keel and keelson are a tad small, and that the mast step is just plain wrong. It works, but it could have been some much more accurate. On a  positive note, those fillers stiffened the framing well and made it easy to sand it out fair.

More later.

Questions and comments are welcomed.

Russ

Edited by russ

Hi Russ,

Is this a "generic" cross-section?  Or from a specifc ship?   Looks to be interesting to follow along. I'll expect to learn something too. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

This is very generic. It is supposed to be a smallish vessel from about the late 18th century. I designed it myself just to get some experience in framing and planking. I designed this model before I really knew very much about how these early ships were built.

Russ

Here I have attached the bulwarks planking and the wales. The wales have been painted. 

Crosssection5_zpsef09e207.jpg

I also started the bottom planking.

Crosssection6_zpsa137adf9.jpg

Questons and comments welcomed.

Russ

Some more progress. Here is the ceiling taken up to the lower deck clamps.

Crosssection7_zpsa25fd6a3.jpg

And here is the outer planking completed with some finish on it.

Crosssection8_zpsccec8860.jpg

More later.

Russ

Russ these cross sections seem to be very popular and also a great way to get your feet wet, (they obviously wouldn't float;~) ) but great to see what one is going to encounter when building a full ship.

What woods did you use?.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

This cross section model was what gave me the idea to offer the Triton cross section project since it would provide the beginning builder a feel for built up framing and scratch building in general. Perhaps that idea has caught on in the past several years. :)

I used American cherry extensively in this model. It is hard enough, holds an edge, can be worked fairly easily with hand tools or power tools, and I was able to get some heart wood so the color is reasonably deep throughout. I also used boxwood for the outer bulwarks and gratings. It was great to work with. The mast and decking were both Western Alder; very straight grained stuff and good for spars, but a little soft. The hatch coamings were American walnut. The treenails were all bamboo.

Russ

Nice work, Russ.  

It seems we are ever learning about the authentic ship building practices, as our interest and our reference materials expand (not to mention MSW itself!!).

Our guesses sometimes come back to haunt us, but this is a handsom model, and thanks for sharing it.

Ron  

Ron:

Thanks. You are absolutely right about the learning process. It never ends, even for the most experienced of us (I am far from it). Having a place like MSW makes it soooo much easier than the old days to learn new things.

Russ

Here is a little more progress. The lower deck beams were installed. No camber on these. You can see the support stanchions, some iron ballast down in the hold, as well as a few barrels and spare cordage.

Crosssection9_zps3e2f6a2b.jpg

More later.

Russ

Thanks. I recall doing a bit of research on the ballast to get the dimensions of it. The barrels and cordage were probably an effort to make it more realistic. It was interesting work though. The barrels were fun to make. The bands are masking tape painted black as I recall.

Russ

Russ,

At the start you say, "the entire model is treenailed."  Did you use any glue at all?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Joe:

Thanks for stopping by. I will have some more porgress in a bit.

Bob:

Yes, everything is glued, but it also treenailed. That is something I wanted to do in a model and I can say that the treenailing has made this model a good deal stronger than if it was just glued together.

Russ

Here is a little more progress. The lower deck has been planked. Note the hideously tall hatch coaming. That was replaced with a smaller, more appropriate coaming.

Crosssection10_zps31876126.jpg

Russ

Gerty:

Thanks. That is the Western Alder. It has a nice tone to it. I recall I clear coated it so the color has remained fairly stable over the years.

Russ

Here is the main deck framing. In the first photo, you can see the hanging knees installed. I was very proud of these knees because I had harvested them from my own trees in the front yard. They are maple. However, they should really be placed alongside the beams instead of under the beams.

Crosssection11_zps0adf279f.jpg

The main deck beams have about 3" camber on them.

Crosssection12_zps9a095f9f.jpg

Russ

Ron:

Thanks. I read about this idea in Charles Davis' The Built Up Ship Model and I thought it would be a fun thing to try. It worked beautifully and over the years I have made a small collection of crooks from other trees that I will eventually use in other models.

Russ

Harold Hahn talked of using his and his neighbor's tree cuttings in his book. Looks like it worked good for you. Nice job.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Rocker:

Thanks. I recall it was a cold day, maybe even Christmas Day, that I went out in the afternoon and collected my crooks. I held my poster board template up to each one to see if it was large enough to suit. I recall slabbing them in my 4 inch table saw. I was able to get two knees out of each crook. That was a lot of fun.

Russ

Russ

Just came across your build today. Thanks for sharing it and showing me that it will take time and experience to progress to building better models. I myself believe that you learn from the mistakes that you make and will think twice before making it again. I also very much like the idea of showing cargo in the hold. I think it makes the model more authentic looking. That's why I was trying to gather the true dimensions of barrels used on the ships of that period. So I could turn them on my lathe to the scale used. But, that's another story. :D    

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Wow that in itself should always bring back good stories and thoughts when you are talking about your cross section. Enjoy.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Long9Ron:

Thanks for looking in. This model still appeals to me because of that journey that it took to make it. I learned so much from this model that, even with all the mistakes, I still like it.

Rocker:

And to imagine, all this began with a book, a pencil and some vellum, and the desire to learn how to make a built up frame. Hmmm. :)

Russ

Russ,

Sweet looking build.  And the discussion and descriptions you're posting make it even better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I decided to take some close up photos of the finished lower hatch coaming and grating. Good for me, this unit slides right out of the model so we can get a better look at it.

lowerdeckcoamingandgrating_zpse4787f93.j

Here is the coaming by itself. It is walnut, it has half lapped joints at the corners, and you can see the support strips for the grating.

lowerdeckcoaming_zpsb1f913a2.jpg

And here is the grating. It is boxwood and it was made according to a method I found in Shipmodeler's Shopnotes.

lowerdeckgrating_zps5ef4fce9.jpg

Russ

Here is a look at the model after the main deck was planked. You can see on the outer bulwarks there is a slot for the channels and note the same on the far inner bulwarks for a pin rack. Also note the ladder.  

Crosssection13_zps20617a1b.jpg

Here is another look at the deck planking. I had the coamings, shot racks, ladder, and one of the guns installed.

Crosssection14_zps047d9d0c.jpg

More on the guns and tackles in a bit.

Russ