Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

Had to do a little work on the cannons and swivel guns.  The cannons themselves needed the bore enlarged.  A 3 pounder had a bore of about 3" - 3/32" at this scale.  The cannons were at 1/16" so I bored them out with a 3/32" bit.  I got the swivel gun barrels from Cornwall Model boats.  The problem was that the bore was way too big for a 1/2 pound swivel gun.  The specs call for slightly over 1-1/2 ", or about a #54 or #55 drill size.  I filled the bore with solder and re-drilled the bore with a #55 drill.  I've got some Jax Pewter Blackener on order.  It should blacken both the brass and the solder.

post-3900-0-56819800-1463005285_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-83547200-1463005312_thumb.jpg

That is very nice attention to detail Dave.

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

I soldered the handles to the swivel guns.  The "helping hands" worked great to hold the parts together.  I used paste solder and a micro torch.  They need to be cleaned up and blackened.  I'm working on the mounting brackets now.

post-3900-0-79370700-1463697896_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-28374200-1463698038_thumb.jpg

Looking good.  Where did you end up getting your brass swivel's?  Those ones are shaped quite a bit different than the Syren swivels (different scale of course). 

Hope you figure out a way to solder up the mounting brackets so that they don't make all your handles fall off.  I had sooo many re-do's because of that.  Next time I'll get the various temperatures of soldering paste so it will hopefully alleviate that.

Hi Brian!  I got the guns from Cornwall Model Boats.  They were the closest to the proper size.  Dr. Feldman 's book says a 1/2 pounder swivel was just over 30" in length, including the cascabel.  That's about 1-1/32".  The guns are 1" long, so pretty close.  As for the brackets, I may just epoxy the trunnions in place to avoid the problem of stuff falling apart.

How did you make the cool little red knobs on the end of the yokes?

Hi Dave,

That's great looking work and attention to detail.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

How did you make the cool little red knobs on the end of the yokes?

I just dipped the end of the brass rod in a puddle of CA glue and let it hang with that end down.  Repeat as necessary to build up to the size of knob you want, and then when dry paint it.

This is the system that Chuck gave me when I asked him that same question.  :)

Thanks, John.

I've been working on fiddly things.  I finished the gun carriages, but I had to order 5/64" brass rod to make new trunnions.  The supplied ones were too short. next up was the cap squares...an annoying bit of work I have been putting off!.  I decided I wanted them made of blackened brass, so here is how I made them (a tip of the hat to John Earl at "modelboatyard.com" for his idea).

I took a length of 5/64" brass rod and filed it flat, creating a half-round.  I then soldered this to a piece of brass bar stock 3/32" thick.  This was my "mold".  I then inserted the brass bar and a strip of blackened brass in the jaws of a machinist's vice and clamped down.  Bend the strip over the brass half-round with a needle nosed pliers.  Release from the vice and trim to size.  The squares need to have holes drilled for the bolts and have the blackening touched up before mounting on the carriages.

post-3900-0-91539600-1464445624_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-25471700-1464445640_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-13396200-1464445664_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-05655100-1464445679_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-63261200-1464445697_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome Dave, she must be getting close to completion  :)  :)

Thanks, Don,Brian!

Don...I'm getting close.  Here's what's left: catheads, swivel guns and supports, channels, transom lights, great cabin roof beams and planking and rigging the steering.  Not that much, really.  

Edited by DocBlake

I'm getting serious about finishing the model now.  Although I'm retired, I have a consulting business that's been taking a lot of my time.  I'm turning my attention to completing the great cabin. The window seat at the stern is built "admiralty style" also - completely frames, but only some of the planking and raised panel front paneling installed.  I've completed the tiller and seized 4 of the 10 blocks required to their eyebolts.  Next I install the rudder-to-wheel rigging and start laying the roof beams.

post-3900-0-92816500-1465152831_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

That looks amazing Dave.

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Good stuff Dave, like the painting

I don't believe you put a painting in the cabin!

Great work, by the way.  Congrats.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi Dave,

Just a suggestion, but instead of the picture you added to the wall, how about a picture of the Patrick Henry containing a picture of the Patrick Henry, containing a picture of the Patrick Henry.... and so on :)

All kidding aside, that's a really beautiful model.

David

Thanks, everyone!

Brian:  The painting is a .jpg that I reduced to the proper size, then printed out.  I glued it to a piece of 1/64" thick plywood, cut out 4 pieces of wood for the frame, then glued them around the painting.  Trim the plywood flush and paint with gold paint and you're done.  It was kind of fun.  There is a portrait of Capt. William Kidd, the "pirate", hanging on the opposite wall of the great cabin.

Slow going with the summer heating up.  I did fit the cap rails at the stern of the ship.  The kit doesn't include a taffrail so I made my own and installed it.  It gives a finished look to the transom.  The taffrail and cap rails are stained with Fiebing's leather dye.  No poly yet.  There are five roof beams for the great cabin to install, as well as 5 planks of cabin roofing in the midline,  I'm planning to use swiss pear rather than holly decking stock, because technically, the roof is a roof, not a poop deck.  Once those things are installed, there are just the stern lights to fabricate and the aft of the model is complete.  I'd like to make my own stern lights out of holly.  The kit has some nice 3-D printed windows provided, but I want to do it myself.  I'm just not sure how, right now!

post-3900-0-68898500-1465741173_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-50477400-1465741189_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the "likes" guys!

I glued the great cabin roof beams in place, then glued and treenailed the roof planking (I used swiss pear).  There is one coat of poly on the beams, planking, taffrail and cap rails.  Getting closer to the end!

post-3900-0-37178900-1465856969_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-80379800-1465856983_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-36773200-1465857008_thumb.jpg

Looks great Dave, every time I see yours progress I get a little urge to pull mine out of the closet