Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

Thanks, guys! 

Don:  Go for it!  It's a fun build, and you can work on other things at the same time as I've done.

I remade the trunnions (they were too short) and blacken them with my new favorite blackening agent for brass:  Jax Pewter Black.  The stuff is amazing!  Just paint it on with a brush and when black enough, wipe with a rag or paper towel.  No "crusting" and I didn't do any acid washing or acetone rinsing like with Blacken-It.  It also blackens solder.  You should try it!

Each gun carriage was given a pin sticking down from the front axle to fix them in place and holes were drilled in the deck.  The only things left on the guns are fastening the cap squares.

post-3900-0-15862800-1465998986_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-06254900-1465999006_thumb.jpg

The Jax Pewter Black also works on white-metal / britannia castings, copper, and various other metals.  It's what I use also, after I was introduced to it by Frank (mahuna here).

The one I got and use is the "Brass, Copper, Gold and Marble Cleaner".  Not sure if one of the others would be better, this is the one I decided to try when I got the pewter black, and it seems to work fine, but you do need to actively 'brush' clean the parts, not just drop them into the cleaner and then rinse.

Hi Dave,

That is one gorgeous model. Bob's design is first rate and your building is exemplary.

I'm anxious to try this Jax Pewter Black, and I discovered I can buy it in Toronto! I had been using gun bluing but it isn't very satisfactory - it tends to rub off and just makes a mess of everything, (well actually, mostly my fingers, which in turn make a mess of everything) so I've been painting things black instead. I'll get some ordered today.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Mr. DocBlake,

I just have to say ... this is an excellent work ...

Zoran

Edited by MarisStella.hr

Doc or Brian,

Do you use the metal cleaner first? I have used JAX with mixed results and crusting. Is that because I did not use the chemical cleaner you mention first? Once clean, what are the ranges of time that you use for JAX application?

Doc, your work continues to be stunning. I wish I had a sense of wood colors similar to yours. Are you able to produce a picture of your cannon axle pins to the deck? The axles and wheels are soooooo small .  .  .  .

Respectfully,

John

John, I clean the metal, dry it off (dab it with a paper towel, it dries quite rapidly) and then use the blackener on it.

When cleaning and blackening both, I use a small paint brush with the bristles cut short to work the cleaner and then the blackener onto the metal. 

After removing from the blackener, I rinse in distilled water, and then buff it off.  If you are getting crusting, you may be leaving it in too long and getting a heavy build up?  I just brush the piece until I can see it's fully colored, then take it out, rinse and dry it.  If i need it darker, then I repeat the application, I don't just leave it in until it's super-black on the first go.  I think that's the method that gets best results with all chemical agents, I know it's the same method I used with Birchwood Casey and Blacken-It.

Thanks for all the comments and "likes" guys!

I'm working on the chainplates right now, making them out of 20 gauge copper wire.  The blackening with Pewter Black is slower with the copper than it is with brass.  I'm having to go back 2 or three times to get the effect I want.  The Jax product is pretty cheap ($22 for 16 ounces, as opposed to about $7 for 3 ounces of Birchwood-Casey) so I'm not worried about going broke!  I haven't purchased the cleaning solution, but I'll order some today and see how it affects the blackening of the copper.

John:  I just drilled a hole through the front axle and used one of the famous "yellow nails" as the pin.  Use the pin to pierce the deck and drill another hole in the deck ( #71 drill).  Epoxy the pin in place before mounting the cannon.  Put a little epoxy on the tip of the pin and slide it into the hole you drilled on the deck.  It will hold the carriage in place and be invisible

post-3900-0-37367500-1466172854_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I like you're idea of pinning the gun carriage. Looks like it works well.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

• 1 month later...

I've neglected the AVS long enough!  It's time to finish this model.

I really don't like metal work all that much, so what's left is basically all metalwork!  I need to finish the yokes for the swivel guns and mount them, install the channels and make all the chain plates and mount them with the deadeyes.  I finally attached the cap squares to the gun carriages,  They are made of blackened brass.

post-3900-0-50621100-1469403685_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just catching up on this build - great work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

The shipyard is reopening!  I attached the channels, although they have no finish yet.  As I hate metalwork, I've yet to complete the chainplates.  I drilled the hawse holes and formed the parts for the catheads.  They are next up to be installed.  Last, I wanted to add a mainsheet horse, but wasn't sure the size.  In the end I just made it as long as the partial planking on the cabin roof is wide.  I'm still procrastinating with the swivel guns.

post-3900-0-53935300-1472244154_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-27947500-1472244167_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-47463300-1472244180_thumb.jpg

I finally am getting to the swivel gums.  I made up 5 yokes to mount the guns (one spare).  I used the technique Brian Weikert described in building his MS AVS.  They need to be cleaned up and blackened.  Here's a link: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8085-armed-virginia-sloop-by-gunthermt-finished-model-shipways-scale-148/page-29

The following page describes the jig to build the yokes.

post-3900-0-24900700-1472419339_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Main sheet horse looks fine.  If it goes too far, the sheet could get hung up on the bulwarks.

Yokes also OK.  There's not much to them, as long as the guns fit into the yoke.

Nice clean job with the hawse.  Not the easiest thing to drill out.

Here is a photo of the blackened yokes.  The yokes themselves were silver soldered using Fire Mountain medium flow silver solder paste.  For cleanup I used a fine bristled brass brush chucked into my drill press.  It buffed up the heat discolored brass and the silver solder nicely.  15 minutes in acetone, rinse, then 15 minutes in muriatic (HCl) acid and rinse.  The blackening was Jax Pewter Black which I painted on with a small brush. 2 coats and no flaking off or crusting.  The process worked very neatly.

post-3900-0-34804300-1472478012_thumb.jpg

Question, I have used muriatic acid before but rarely with good results. Several club members would use white vinegar for the prep and clean up. A little safer to use.

David B

Yeah, David, it probably matters little what acid you use, acetic or hydrochloric.  I think the acid just micro-etches the metal surface.  The system works for me, and there was no "flaking off" of the finish after treatment with the Jax..

I finished all the trunnions and blackened the swivel guns.  Next comes the supports, which shouldn't be too tough.  I'm still procrastinating on the chainplates.  The catheads are done, but not installed.  I'm getting closer to the end!

post-3900-0-28450600-1472682348_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Really nice job.  Working with medal is another skill completely.

Congrats.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Ken...I'm learning.  I used silver soldering with paste solder in a syringe to prepare the yokes.  I have a Bernzomatic hand torch that was able to get the solder to flow, but it took FOREVER to get it up to temperature.  A more permanent setup using oxygen and a propane tank, with a regulator will get the higher temperatures need much more quickly.  The solder paste is nice, though, in that you don't have to mess with flux and little chunks of silver.  It is kind of pricey.  There is definitely a learning curve here!

Really nice work Dave.  Your work with the different woods is brilliant.  Not too shabby on the metal working too - very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

A Bernzomatic hand torch ... a propane tank, with a regulator ...   ???

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild