Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

Ken:  The hand torch is really like a glorified butane lighter.  It works great with conventional solder, which melts at 450 degrees F., but it's hard to get the temperature high enough to melt silver solder, which flows at 1500 degrees F.  I had to train the flame on the joint for 2 minutes to get the silver solder to flow.  If you use propane and oxygen together, the flame is much higher in temperature than butane alone.  You need a regulator to mix the two gasses.  Ever wonder why they sell oxygen containers near the propane torches at big box stores? The photos show the hand torch I used, and the setup Bob Hunt uses for silver soldering from his practicum series.

post-3900-0-60981100-1472908048_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-77191700-1472908075_thumb.jpg

All that is truly out of my league.

I'll have to think of something else.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I cut out 8 rosewood gun supports.  For the metal caps I used a 1/4" square styrene tube and glued strip styrene to each end.  I trimmed the styrene and cut of the caps.  I drilled a pilot hole in each.  They were then painted gunmetal color and glued to the gun supports.  I enlarged the pilot holes to 1/16" diameter and fixed 4 yokes in place.  The trunnions will be threaded through the yokes and guns and fixed with a drop of CA.  The 4 starboard supports will have guns, the 4 port supports will be gunless.

post-3900-0-85611900-1473018976_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-56010200-1473018998_thumb.jpg

Fantastic work! 

Really excellent.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Very nice Dave, she'll have her place on the shelf very soon. Have you ever checked into resistance soldering? Very pricey, but I think that is the way to go. Here is the place www.americanbeautytools.com that sells them, daverow(here on msw) uses this and swears by it

Edited by donrobinson

Busy day in the shipyard!  I installed all the deadeyes and chainplates and covered the from edge of the channels with some cherry to finish them off.  I also glued the gun supports to the hull and assembled the swivel guns.  They were mounted (temporarily) on the starboard gun mounts.  There are just a few tasks left:  The horizontal portion of the catheads, finishing and rigging the anchors, and making the great cabin lights.  Almost done!

The ship will be mounted on the backs of some cherry seahorses fixed to a cherry base.  I still need to rout a profile on the base and glue the seahorses in place.  # or 4 coats of wiping varnish and it'll be done.

post-3900-0-78487700-1473284065_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-91859200-1473284076_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-69060900-1473284087_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-22470400-1473284100_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-08788100-1473284111_thumb.jpg

I started working on the stern lights in the great cabin.  The kit includes five 3-D printed lights that look fine, but I wanted mine made of wood.  My first decision was, "what color?"  The kit-supplied lights are white, so I made up a mockup out of holly.  Because my mockup was a little beefier than the kit parts, the white holly seemed way too much.  I settled on boxwood.  The first step was to cut a few strips of 1/32" thick boxwood to 1/16" in width.  I then traced the outline of the kit lights on a piece of paper and covered the drawing with double sided tape.  The frames are made in two layers.  I laid out the first layer on the double sided tape and used CA to glue the second layer to the first.  It's important that the second layer have spans that cover each butt joint of the first layer.  If not, the frames fall apart.  The crude drawing in the photo is the layout for the 2 layers that make up the frames.  There are 18 parts per frame!  They need to be cleaned up and fitted to their place on the stern, but overall I'm happy with the result.  It was actually easier than I thought it would be!  Two more to go.

post-3900-0-15584300-1473462155_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-11902100-1473462176_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-76301000-1473462196_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-97265200-1473462212_thumb.jpg

The model is nearly done.  I had a nice wide piece of cherry to use for the display base.  The four seahorses support the model on their backs!  They need to be sanded and glued in place.  I routed a simple cove along the edge of the base to dress it up a bit.  I think that's all it needs - a simple cove versus an ogee or other more complicated shape.  Agree?

post-3900-0-52904800-1473610896_thumb.jpg

I agree Dave, no need to take away from that superb ship! Beautiful work

I really like that display stand.  You should market it.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful, Dave.  That build is very easy to look at.

The simple cove is best, I agree.  And did you cut the seahorses yourself? 

You mentioned that you used rosewood for the gun mounts -- what is that wood like to work with?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I really like that you didn't use paint, but use different woods to achieve that 'authentic' look.

What wood is the dark brown wood on the hull?  And is that redheart on the inner bulwarks?

Thanks.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, guys, for the comments and the "likes"!

Martin:  The seahorses are provided with the kit as two halves that you glue together and sand smooth.  The cherry is my own wood.  Rosewood is beautiful.  I used it for gun mounts, the wales and black strakes and hatch coamings.  It tends to be oily, so you need to wipe it down with an acetone soaked paper towel before gluing or finishing.  It takes a finish beautifully.

Ken: The photo shows the various species I used on the hull. Yes, the inner bulwarks are redheart.  Mine oxidized or UV'd a bit to a reddish brown - not the bright red like your Rattlesnake.  Next time I may use blood wood again, as I did on my MS AVS.

post-3900-0-20776000-1473952454_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Thanks Dave.

My red heart has also faded.  So I'm looking for another type of wood.  I may have to use paint on my next time.

What is your source for blood wood, purpleheart and rosewood?  I do like the look of your hull.

Thanks.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Hi Ken!

I have a great hardwood supplier that I use for wood to make furniture.  Great prices on cherry, walnut, mahogany and maple.  They also stock exotics, so I buy blood wood, holly and rosewood there.  Your local Woodcraft or Rockler store should stock purpleheart, yellowheart, boodwood and maybe even rosewood.  I've not found holly there, however.  The place I shop is called Kettle Moraine Hardwoods:  www.kmhardwoods.com

FINISHED!!  14 months to the day, and my AVS is finally done.  It was great fun, and makes a pretty attractive model, I think.  Bob Hunt is still producing this kit, but is using laser cutting to fashion the parts.  If anyone is looking for a challenge and a lot of enjoyment.I heartily recommend this kit! It's available at the Lauck Street Shipyards website:  https://lauckstreetshipyard.com/avskit.htm

post-3900-0-90971000-1474213882_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-02949400-1474213902_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-47221900-1474213916_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-39546000-1474213951_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-57117100-1474213954_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-74977700-1474213977_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-26537300-1474214024_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-83666000-1474214038_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-79032500-1474214065_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-55747900-1474214080_thumb.jpg

A beautiful built model Dave,

nice wood selection and wooden tones, well done   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations on crossing the finish line Dave.  She's a beautiful model, and something you should be proud to display.

What's next on the bench besides completion of the Independence?

Great work!  Congratulations on building such a fine ship, you'll get years of pleasure looking her over.

I built the Rattlesnake using Bob Hunt's practicum.  I'm glad to hear he's gone back to producing kits -- which he's stopped doing for a while.

Can't wait to follow your next build

Oh, and thanks for the link to Kettle Moraine -- hardwood suppliers are always a good source (I have 3 carving projects going at the moment, and am always looking for affordable sources of wood)

Martin

Edited by Martin W

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Congrats. and thanks for the information.

Your build is excellent.

No rest for the weary, however.  Waiting to follow the Independence again.

Great job.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for all the kind words and the "likes".  I am going to go back and work on Independence.  I also have 3 other Lauck Street kits:  Halifax, Kingfisher and Fair American.  I'm thinking of starting Fair American at the same time as I work on the Independence!  All this is working up to a scratch build of "Hannah" in 1/24 scale.

Very nice Dave! Beautiful work, I love your use of different woods. A big inspiration as I try to take a similar approach on my builds. Looking forward to following your next projects.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations Dave, she is simply beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful log that you have done, it was an enjoyable voyage.

• 4 weeks later...

Really, Doc, you set a level quite unreachable for me! Still, I find you're work (and help occasionally) very admirable and inspiring! Love it!

Cheers!,

Bouke

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione