USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by captainbob - FINISHED - 1:96

very nice Bob,   it cleaned up nicely  ;)    super job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob what a little gem, The paneling really sets it off.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks All.  No it will not be weathered.  I am building it as it is in the opening overhead picture.  It was a Coast Guard boat during WWII and I don't think they would have put up with dirt and rust.  So even the bumps scrapes and dents will be painted and clean.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks Lawrence.  Yes, we build in the detail we want for our own enjoyment, and I'm enjoying this build.

Bob

wish you ongoing pleasure and fun with this project Bob,

one sure can see that you`re enjoying this fine build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, If we didn't enjoy it, it would be work instead of a hobby.

Bob

As I said earlier, in the early 1940’s Gen. Samuel M. Mills was transferred to the coast guard and renamed the Pequot.  At that time she was also converter from a mine layer to an inductor cable layer.  Among the changes made the ship boats were changed.  The new boats, about 22 feet long with lap strake planking, had a blunt bow and a transom.  I have not been able to find plans for this boat or anything close. 

If you go to the Pequot website, http://indicatorloops.com/usn_pequot_plans.htm   The drawings are of the Gen. Samuel M. Mills the Pequot version I am building is the first overhead picture.  The boats are on davits about half way back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

they look like they do have a transom..........scrolling down just past the boilers,  there is a picture of a lifeboat hoisted over the ship,  up in the rafters.  you can get a good idea of what the keel looks like.    I think a simple ship's boat plug will produce you a couple of fine looking life boats.   or you can order some plastic ones and plank them over {like I do with mine}  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was thinking of a plug.  It needs to be about 2.75" long.  Then lapstrake like Druxey did on the hospital barge.   ya     sure.

Bob

Hi Bob,

perhaps you may like these wonderful detailed ship`s boats. As you are building in 1:96 scale there are for instance lapstrake double ender boats and more..... At least a nice sample fore a selfmade one...

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/1_96_Scale.html

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks Nils, I'll have to look into that.

Bob

More about the boats.  This was also entered under, "ships plans and project research". 

I contacted the man that set up the Pequot website, his father served aboard the Pequot during WWII. He said the stern boat was "called" a dory.  But for the other two he could only lead me to these pictures.  I agree that they are 26ft launches but built to a earlier design (1930s - 40s) then the ones being built today.  Todays boats are more blunt in the bow and fuller in the stern.  In my searching I have not been able to find plans for the older 26ft launch.  can anyone help?

Bob

post-513-0-21714300-1458749216.jpg

post-513-0-54247700-1458749226.jpg

Just found you mate, I'm going to follow along Bob if you've no objections.

Lovely work on the wheelhouse mate and good luck with the search for the plans for the little boats, I'm sure with all the resources on the site it wont be long.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Just found you mate, I'm going to follow along Bob if you've no objections.

mobbsie

What, me object?  Heaven forbid. 

Bob

Hi Cap'n Bob

Great job you are doing with all of the pictures and research drawings, they sure do give you a huge amount of detail to work with, well done,                                                                                   ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence.

Yes,  Pictures and drawings can be great, except when they cover too many years and too many changes.  It would have been nice to do ALL the research first but then I would not have been building.  On the other hand now I have to change things.  It turns out that now I believe this picture represents the era I want.  Luckilly I'm not too far along.

Bob

post-513-0-80199700-1459790709.jpg

nice picture Bob,

and plenty of fine and inspiring details ( deck fitting out, masts, cable spools, boats, vents, long slim funnel, rafts, etc..) for spending the coming weeks and months on, She`ll be a beauty at launchtime...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Nils, I agree lots of detail.  I was hoping to finish by mid summer, now it looks like next summer.  Ah well, what else do I have to do?  LOL

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Let me take a seat .. I just caught up ... my goodness, this is a very nice build you have on your hands ... lots of wonderful details a.o. ... dunno how on earth I missed out on this one. All parts are stunning Bob ... you've got a treasure on your hands!!!

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks Carl and welcome aboard.  I hope you found a comfortable chair, there's still a long way to go.

Bob

Hi Friends,  I'm sorry I haven't posted anything new for a while.  I'm trying to learn a new process and it has a steeper learning curve then I had expected.  When I get good final product I'll show it.  Hopefully It won't be too much longer. 

Bob

Hi Bob

Just discovered your log, great build so far! I`ll stay tuned! Old steamers, if they are wheelers or screw driven, are my main interest.

Regards

Gerhard

PS.: smilie_geb_162.gif

Edited by Gerhardvienna

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch