Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

nice rudder assembly Piet,

guess two oars and oarlocks on the dinghi are next....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Piet,

Gwen is right, some unique brass work. She has a good eye for detail!

It's true, during that age the Dutch were lean, mean fighting machines. However, nowadays they could use the wider seat ... ;) Since I stopped smoking I can use one too :rolleyes:

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello everyone and thanks for dropping in and clicking the like button!

@ Omega:  Thank you very much for your compliments.  It was a lot of fun but testing my patience  :rolleyes:  Gwen and I wish you and yours the best holiday season as well.

@ George:  Thank you too for your kind words.  Yup, Gwen is critical but fair and I appreciate her input.

@ Nils:  Thank you very much for your kind words.  Hmmm, two oars???  I made this thing with two rower seats and she'll have four oars!  I guess just in case they have to tow the sub  ;)

@ Carl:  Yup, Gwen is always right, just ask her  ;)   Yeah, it seems that many people are overweight or even obese nowadays.  I try to keep my bod in fighting trim, 140 US pounds at 5 ft 8 inches , not too bad and Gwen is also loosing weight, she dropped 20 pounds already.

Cheers to all,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello again all y'all.

I went to bed last night a little frustrated about them dumb oarlocks.  But as I was thinking about how to tackle them then - - - click - the light came on  :dancetl6:  I suddenly remembered how I did it with version 1.0.  Gwen asked my if I made notes of everything I do - - - - - - good question, ummm - - - no dear.  Her response?  "that's not smart, isn't it"?  No dear, but I figured it was going to be a one shot deal.  She didn't buy it, it's still not a smart thing to do. 

Okay, with all that straightened out I proceeded to make the oars first so so I can use them as part of the oarlock making procedure.  I again made them from wooden toothpicks and whittled them down to about 1 mm diameter, using first a sharp mini chisel and then through a draw plate with a final sanding.  Next I cut them to the same length as the v. 1.0 oars and cut a slit in one end for the blades.

I made the oarlocks from 0.2 mm brass shim strips cut to 1 mm wide, cut them to estimated lengths and drilled 0.5 mm holes in the center for the pins. They'l be trimmed later and final shaped

I used a small discarded piece as a mandril and bend these little strips around it.  Then put the U shaped pieces on the mandril, clamped it in a mini cloth pin, which is then clamped in a mini vice and put a small piece of 0.5 mm brass rod in the hole.  Next it was just a case of soldering the pins to the oarlocks.  Everything worked so well that there was almost no extra cleaning up to do except for trimming them all to the proper length and make a slight bend to the ends.

For the oars I used some poplar and shaved a piece of waste planking down to 0.5 mm thick.  One end I tapered to a wedge and shoved it into the slit I made preciously in one end of the shaft.  I used CA to cement it together and stared to shape it into an oar blade.   I think they came out okay.  The oar shafts may have to be cut shorter but I'll sleep on that first.  

Okay, we are now on third base and batter is up!  I couldn't resist painting everything dark grey before closing the shipyard for today.  Tomorrow I'll do the final inspection and some more sanding and whatever is needed.  It may need a final coat of paint before i'm satisfied.  Then I'll tie the oars to the seats and har her on the loading boom on the O19!  

Here are the pics of today's activities.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello again all y'all.

I went to bed last night a little frustrated about them dumb oarlocks.  But as I was laying there waiting for Mr. Sandman to come, I was thinking about how to tackle them then - - - click - the light came on  :dancetl6:  I suddenly remembered how I did it with version 1.0.  When I told Gwen about it she asked my if I made notes of everything I do - - - - - - good question, ummm - - - no dear.  Her response?  "that's not smart, isn't it"?  No dear, but I figured it was going to be a one shot deal so no need for them stink'n notes :rolleyes:   She didn't buy it, "it's still not a smart thing to do."

Okay, with all that straightened out I proceeded to make the oars first so so I can use them as part of the oarlock making procedure.  I again made them from wooden toothpicks and whittled them down to about 1 mm diameter, using first a sharp mini chisel and then through a draw plate with a final sanding.  Next I cut them to the same length as the v. 1.0 oars and cut a slit in one end for the blades.

I made the oarlocks from 0.2 mm brass shim strips cut to 1 mm wide, cut them to estimated lengths and drilled 0.5 mm holes in the center for the pins. They'l be trimmed later and final shaped

I used a small discarded piece of oar lock shaft as a mandril and bend these little strips around it into a U.  Then put the U shaped pieces on the mandril, clamped it in a mini cloth pin, which is then clamped in a mini vice and put a small piece of 0.5 mm brass rod in the hole.  Next it was just a case of soldering the pins to the oarlocks.  Everything worked so well that there was almost no extra cleaning up to do except for trimming them all to the proper length and make a slight bend to the ends.

For the oar blades I used some poplar and shaved a piece of waste planking down to 0.5 mm thick.  One end I tapered to a wedge and shoved it into the slit I made preciously in one end of the shaft.  I used CA to cement it together and stared to shape it into an oar blade.   I think they came out okay.  The oar shafts may have to be cut shorter but I'll sleep on that first.  

Okay, we are now on third base and batter is up!  

I couldn't resist painting everything dark grey before closing the shipyard for today.  Tomorrow I'll do the final inspection and some more sanding and whatever is needed.  It may need a final coat of paint before I'm satisfied.  Then I'll tie the oars to the seats and hang her in the loading boom on the O19!  

Here are the pics of today's activities.

post-1399-0-61040200-1419306124_thumb.jpg

This is my crude soldering jig.  The quality is not very good, at this magnification the pixels make it fuzzy.  Perhaps you can still see the brass oarlock with a pin inserted into the hole.  Hey, it worked!

post-1399-0-57734400-1419306167_thumb.jpg

Here are the completed oarlocks.  It looks like a lot of solder on it but in actuality there was not really that much and only a little filing took care of it.  You can also see the slight bends I made to the tips of the oarlocks? 

post-1399-0-14656600-1419306193_thumb.jpg

This is just an example pic of how I made the oars.  It was difficult to see the slits I made in the shafts so I stuck a #11 blade in it.  the one above t has the 0.5 mm "oar blade" already shoved into the slit.

post-1399-0-15796100-1419306241_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-40604500-1419306257_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-06758000-1419306273_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The oars and locks turned out great Piet! It's just about ready to get shipped into the 019's hull.  ;)

Cheers  :cheers:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Neat Little rowing equipement,

have a happy Christmas time...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A bit crude but yiou'll probably make do with it ;) Ah, that's some marvelous detail on that scale Piet. I like your midnight-wake-up-ideas. Maby Gwen has a point in writing things down, but that removes all the charm and loving frustration when you try to gymnasticise/stretch your brain muscle

The result does look great.

Happy Holidays to you and Gwen

or

Prettige Kerstdagen en een Voorspoedig Nieuwjaar

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

So little and thiny, and ... MAGIC!!!!

Happy Holidays !!!!

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Beautiful work as always Piet - I think you deserve a break over the holiday, if nothing else than to give your eyes a rest!!

Best wishes for the holiday season & happy building in 2015!

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

First of all, Gwen and I wish everyone on MSW a very meaningful holiday and a healthy, prosperous 2015.

Secondly, I thank all who visited and clicked the like button and of course your very kind comments.

@ George:  Than you my friend and the dinghy is now hanging in the loading boom a'board the O19.

@ Nils:  Thank you for your compliment and you too, have a great holiday.

@ Carl:  Yup, a lot of my tools are made on the fly and made do, but they work.  Thank you for your compliments, and Gwen and I wish you and yours also a meaningful holiday and a healthy, prosperous 2015.

@ Sjors: You need only four of these???  At this small scale they could be dinghies for your sloops :P  Thank you too for your compliments and Gwen and I wish you and Anja also a meaningful kerst and een zeer voorspoedig 2015. 

@ Dave:  Thank you my friend, much appreciated.  Happy holidays to you too.

@ Nenad:  Thank you Nenad, yup, she's little alright but no magic, just a lot of hard and patient work.  You have to make a  few boats for the CS too you know.  You can show us all your magic  :) 

You and your family enjoy the year end festivities and a healthy and prosperous 2015 (hope the strike will be over soon.)

@ Row:  Thank you for the compliments.  No - no break for me, I am now spending all my time on the lobster smack kit for the Wounded Warrior program.  I still need to do a few things to the O19, perhaps in between.  Best wishes to you and yours as well and a healthy, prosperous 2015.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello again all y'all.  I checked the painted dinghy this morning for anything that needed touching up but found every this hunky dory.  So I proceeded with lashing the oars to the seats to prep it for stowing.  I real life they stored the oars, rudder, helm and oarlocks inside the con.  I could have done the same but figured that this shows the oars and the rudder.  I can always change it at a much later date.

So, the dinghy is done and hanging from a sling on the loading boom.  All I need now are a few crew members wrestling her back inside  ;)  Some day I'll be making a few crew members but that'll be for next year.  Oh my, tha's next week already, hmmm, how time flies when you're having fun.

Yea, a few crew, some spare torpedoes, mines, an anchor and ammo and a  cases of Heineken beer  ;)

Then there is the display board with the cover.

Okay, here are a few pics of the completed dinghy.

post-1399-0-36412500-1419390354_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-13358200-1419390374_thumb.jpg

Here you see the dinghy v.2.0 in the sling hanging in the loading boom ready to be lowered inside her 'hangar" below deck.  I have also placed dinghy v.1.0 on the dock with a spare mine, torpedo, an extra pulley that has Remco inscribed on it, a few smaller pulleys and a hook.  

post-1399-0-85916100-1419390381_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-76921700-1419390392_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-51602900-1419390406_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow Piet! She's looking great attached to the slings and tackle. I know your Dad would be proud, and is looking down with a smile from ear to ear.  ^_^

Fair Winds  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

WOW, I'm overwhelmed by the many likes, thank you all!

Thank you George, Wacko Joe, Kevin, Jan and Omega for your very kind words.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

The model gets better and better.

Merry Christmas to you and Gwen and a happy new year (and many more of them).

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

just catching up on your progress.......I must say,  the boat looks great!   looks real sweet on board the 019!   hope you and Gwen had a great Christmas!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The cutest dinghy, Piet. Nice job and I can´t wait to see the next steps. ^_^ ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Piet!!!  

I absolutely must know what's happened to O 19!  It's been a long time since your last post on the sub.  Surely, it can't be finished yet?

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!!!!!

Can I, maybe, if it is indeed finished, suggest a big splash of photos in the gallery section?

cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks to those who dropped by and your likes.

Hi Patrick, well, the O19 is still very much alive and on my north side work bench. She has taken a temporary backseat so I can finish that little lobster smack model.  That has also gotten a little out of hand with detail work.  I should have just build the kit as is without bashing and added "stuff."  ;)   However - - - I just couldn't help myself  :rolleyes:

There are just a few details yet to add to the O19 before I can contemplate making the display board and cover.  One of the details for the O19 are the hinges for the mine tube door.  The problem is access or the lack thereof.  I need to make a drawing first to see how I can approach it.  The difficulty is with attaching the stationary part of the hinges to underside of the ballast tank plating and still have the door close flush.  I may have to drill two very small holes in the deck plating for tiny brass wires to draw the hinges up to cement them to the underside.  

The other detail is the dinghy cradle inside the deck area and then a few figures for the crew.  The last one may be done much later after the model is safely put in my studio.

Yeah, I do have some sad feelings about finishing this model but I do have other plans cooking that are equally exciting.  

Thanks so very much for asking and your concern.  It's much appreciated.

Cheers

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet

Yep. Totally understand that your Lobster Smack is demanding all of your attention, but, the cause (Wounded Warriors) is more than worthy. Someone is going to inherit a beautiful "Piet" masterpiece; that's for sure.

In the meantime, 019 awaits what looks like only a few more minor details before she can be permanently placed on display. When that time comes, I'm sure you'll lament its completion but rejoice in the pride of your achievement!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234