Stag by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827

A proper update at last.  I got some good progress today, which was very satisfying.  The main halliards are now rigged together with quite a few other bits and pieces, and I have been able to make a start on the lower square yard.  It won't be too long now before she's finished.

Here a few photos showing as she is at the moment - she's starting to look like the lady she is.

post-5-0-88876000-1377069775_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-55301000-1377069779_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-54510600-1377069782_thumb.jpg

And in this one you can just see the square yard horse - the lower square yard isn't attached to the mast, but rather travels on a vertical horse up the fore side of the mast via a thimble on the after side of the yard.  Then horse is the black line you can see running vertically between the yard and the mast.

post-5-0-58663300-1377069784_thumb.jpg

John

Very neat and tidy work there John!

Thx for the update :)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

John,

Glad to see the progress.  She's a beauty.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

back at it in fine style,  eh..........the booms and rigging looks great!   simply superb looking build John! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John:

The rigging is really nice, especially at this scale. The seizings are incredible. Wonderful work.

Russ

Thank you, gentlemen, one and all.  I really enjoy rigging, although these cutters are so over-rigged things get a little crowded around the mast at this scale.  Maybe I should go back to three master's in the future, although I'm already committed to a ketch for my next build.

John

John,

Looking wonderful.  And to think, you do this in front of a live audience at the museum.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the support, folks!

Mark - it can sometimes be a bit intimidating working in front of an audience, especially when you're trying to figure out something you're not sure about - after all, we're supposed to be the experts! :)

My best exchange to date was with a small boy of about seven or eight.  It went something like:-

Small boy - I make models too you know.

Me - Oh, do you; that's good

Small boy - My models don't look like yours, though.

Me - Don't they?

Small boy - No; are you sure you're doing it right?

(Small boy's mum collapses laughing)

John

....and when that boy got home.......he looked at his model,  threw it in the circular file,  and got some fresh stock!

....and that, my boy,  is how a scratch builder is born!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi John,

Boy you've hit the ground running mate, lovely bit of rigging and your right, she is looking every bit the lady. :dancetl6:

Love the dialog, out of the mouths of babes, shouldn't you have some glue splashes, hairy string and a few loose ends showing. :D  :D :D  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Jim - I am in tears with Laughter. As mentioned elsewhere I am the president of our local modeling club. Every year in Seattle there is a Wooden Boat festival. for many years our club has participated. We have set up displays of our ships etc. Often we would set up a table and have a modeler there to answer questions while he worked on his latest project. One time this boy of 9 years old stopped by he was keenly interested in the work being done. I won't bore you with the details but he became the youngest member of our club.

During subsequent years at the Festival he would join me at the table working on a project. It was embarrassing how much better his hull planking was than mine. So you never know. :)

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

And I qoute.  “ especially when you're trying to figure out something you're not sure about" – “Small boy - are you sure you're doing it right?”.  Sounds, to me, like a good question.  :P    Thanks, John,  I needed a laugh.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks, folks!

The kids at the museum are great fun.  It's amazing how many of them just want to stand and watch what I'm doing - even when nothing much is happening.  Even the teenagers stop to look and make comments like, "That's so cool."  Maybe the memory of what they've seen at the museum will stick with some of them and bear future fruit for a new generation of model makers.

John

Thanks, folks!

The kids at the museum are great fun.  It's amazing how many of them just want to stand and watch what I'm doing - even when nothing much is happening.  Even the teenagers stop to look and make comments like, "That's so cool."  Maybe the memory of what they've seen at the museum will stick with some of them and bear future fruit for a new generation of model makers.

John

I wouldn't be surprised if, 35 years from now, the memory of watching your work kindles another new model shipbuilder.  In our own ways, many of us try to pass on the legacy.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Stag progresses (more or less).  The spreader has been completed and the topmast shrouds and forestay rigged.  I have also just about got all the rigging on the upper square yard ready for sending it aloft. Oh, and the boom topping lift is also rigged and secured.

I made a stupid boo boo just before leaving the museum - trying to rush to get things done, I suppose.  I was checking the lower square yard brace pennants and realised that the starboard after pennant was way too long.  Thinking, "Why did you do that?", I cut it off ready to make a new one next time I'm in at the work bench and only then realised that the starboard forward pennant was way too short!! You guessed it - when I'd fitted them I'd put them on the wrong way round, so all I had needed to do was to soften the glue, turn both pennants through 180 degrees and re-glue them.  :(  Oh, well, a bit of pennant making practice won't hurt. 

Here are a few photos of her as of yesterday afternoon.  I realise that the close up of the mast is pretty blurry - I'll try to remember to get a better one next time in.

Overall views of the model

post-5-0-79487500-1378342895_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-69848200-1378342898_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-80594500-1378342901_thumb.jpg

A blurry mast!

post-5-0-66614300-1378342892_thumb.jpg

The deck showing an ever more crowded area around the foot of the mast.

post-5-0-87710800-1378342905_thumb.jpg

The upper yard almost ready to go aloft

post-5-0-38595700-1378342910_thumb.jpg

John

Close in shot of the deck is just great

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Elia - I'm still tossing up between pedestals and a stand.  I hope to get the base organised before my next trip to the museum, so that might finally settle it for me.

Druxey - I really regret my reprehensible rigging (w)reckage!

Augie - Thanks for the good word, mate!

John

Well done John, she's looking absolutely lovely.

I think with a little lady like this pedestals would be right, you have to present all of her to her best advantage and I don't think a stand would do that.

Your choice mate and I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

Looking forward to the launch mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

superbly done John.........just a small oopsie......not a big deal.....huh  :)   it'll be my guess that she will reside at the museum.  she'll be a very nice addition to the collection ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's always nice to see your work.

Bob