Stag by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827

• 2 weeks later...

any updates to report good sir?   I have an eye candy definciency ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry, Popeye, but I missed last Wednesday at the museum due to a bad cold (is there such a thibg as a good cold? :huh: ).  I'm currently having a think about my next build as I'm now up to the rigging on the Stag, so I might start a preliminary build log once I mfinally make up my mind.

John

Looking forward to hear what you select as your next build.  It will be great to follow her from the very outset.

But that doesn't detract from the anticipation of seeing Stag in her full regalia with that beautiful rig she carries.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

sorry to hear you've been under the weather.........glad your feeling better  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Well, an update on the Stag at last.  I didn't get a lot done yesterday as we are in the middle of school holidays at the moment and the museum was crowded with families - always fun when you're surrounded by a mob of kids asking questions about your model.  At one stage I dropped a needle on the floor and had a group of kids crawling around the floor searching for it for me (they found it, too)!

I've finally started rigging.  The standing rigging of the bowsprit it done and I've made up the sets of shrouds ready for seizing in the deadeyes.  The lower mast is also permanently fitted now awaiting shrouds.

It's usually at about this time in a build that I get really paranoid - always thinking that I might have forgotten to rig something essential before going on to the next stage, but even so I love rigging - even ratlines.

I remembered that Pat had asked for a photo with a ruler against the model, so one of the photos shows my trusty six inch rule against the base.

John

post-5-0-31021200-1366234773_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-60772400-1366234779_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-20368700-1366234777_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-28034600-1366234783_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-68940700-1366234784_thumb.jpg

Now, she begins to breathe.  It's like watching the unfolding of a new orchid.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow John, I had no idea your model was so small, with all the detail I had thought is was much larger!! Just goes to show what a superb craftsman you are.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi John,

looks fine. I liked very well

cheers    :cheers:

Robert

And when the workaholic grabs me, I sit quietly in a corner and wait until the attack is over

Into dockyard:   HMY Royal Caroline 1749 made from Bone

74 Gun-ship 1781 (engl.) Admiralty Model M 1:50 by M. Stalkartt

John:

The bowsprit rigging looks good. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the rigging.

Russ

Wow John,

With the mast and bowsprit in place, you really get a sense of just what a large sail rig she carried! Looks fabulous.

I'm really not quite sure how they managed to keep them upright when under full sail.

Sky hooks! :D

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Well, an update on the Stag at last.  I didn't get a lot done yesterday as we are in the middle of school holidays at the moment and the museum was crowded with families - always fun when you're surrounded by a mob of kids asking questions about your model.  At one stage I dropped a needle on the floor and had a group of kids crawling around the floor searching for it for me (they found it, too)!

There's hope for the future of the hobby John if you are surrounded by a mob of interested kids. I am prepared to bet that your exquisite little cutter will stick in the minds of at least one or two, and some way down the road, they will appear on MSW influenced by the beauty of what they saw in 2013.

Regards,

B.E.

Hi John,

As usual your work is so fine. It's nice to see someone else doing 1/8 scale rigging at the same time as I am. I'm getting into it too. Not as bad as I feared. Although I'm ready to do ratlines, and I'm wondering if I'll get bogged down. I've decided to put them on now, instead of waiting. My lower standing rigging has been through several temperature and humidity extremes and not changed so I'm having at it. Putting up topmasts now. I'm using Londonderry linen and Egyptian cotton.

Love watching your build.

Bruce

Edited by von stetina

I agree......really!   I thought it was a bit larger than that :)  it just makes all the detail you've put into her,  all the more fantastic! ;)

.....and you call me inventive........modest,  I should say.....LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John,

I knew it was small.... but not that small. :)   The size makes the work you've put into her even more impressive.  Hmm.... I'm repeating what everyone else is saying.  But I'll let it stand.  This is one fantastic build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's one sweet little lady John, great work.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Arr, gee fellas - now I'm getting embarassed - I'm just having fun! :)

B.E. - The kids love it.  One of the other model makers who I see quite a bit has exactly the same experiences with the kids.  The really interesting thing is the number of teenagers who say things like, "That's so cool."

John

Superb John, she is the result of a very craftsman, and there's more to come. Goody.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-